The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trapking
I know Draxler very well as a player. He played against us in the CL and scored even/made an assist. Also watched him play for Germany in the international tournaments. The guy can unlock defences.

He's been linked to Arsenal and PSG for a very long time now; he nearly went to Arsenal last summer but as usual the gunners seem not to want to spend big amounts being the cheap greedy bastards they are. I can't see him going to Liverpool though, he would have to go somewhere where he'll be almost a regular starter. Currently you have Coutinho, Firmino and Mane. Draxler is far better than Firmino but I doubt Klopp would drop Firmino.

Draxler would be great cover for if Mane or Coutinho get's injured but I see your point. Firmino normally plays centrally and the side is at it's best when he is there so he ain't getting dropped, Draxler isn't guranteed to start over Coutinho or Mane on the wings either.
Original post by samir12
Draxler would be great cover for if Mane or Coutinho get's injured but I see your point. Firmino normally plays centrally and the side is at it's best when he is there so he ain't getting dropped, Draxler isn't guranteed to start over Coutinho or Mane on the wings either.

Yupp exactly my point. You want to keep players like Mane and Coutinho in the team...and because your team has built chemistry in attack with the likes of those two linking up with Firmino it would be tough for Draxler to be a regular starter.
Draxler is not a bench player/cover player. He's a player that you want to be in your starting 11 because he can make that difference in the game with his creativity and quality. He has good finishing ability too.

Hence why it is more likely he'll go somewhere where he'll be in the starting XI regularly.
Reply 783
Klopp wants the best for the team so if Draxler is an upgrade and we can get him, then I think Klopp would. If Firmino becomes a bench option then so be it.

Klopp obviously is willing to spend big if he thinks a player can make the difference - see Mane and Wijnaldum.

Really do hope we try and sign at least one player for the first team, especially considering that we didn't spend much (net) in the summer.
Reply 784
Draxler is not a bench player/cover player. He's a player that you want to be in your starting 11 because he can make that difference in the game with his creativity and quality. He has good finishing ability too.

Hence why it is more likely he'll go somewhere where he'll be in the starting XI regularly.

Psg and Liverpool want him and they have better players than draxler in their first team...

He is having to be at a club on Wolfsburgs level if he wants to start...

The problem with this is that if he wants a move to a bigger club, he's not gonna be a guaranteed starter.

If he proves himself, he could definitely get in to our side, but with Coutinho and Mané on the wings it would be a hell of a task.

At PSG he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter and he wouldn't be in a competitive league. Arsenal are unlikely to shell out the money for him and even if they would, Liverpool are arguably a side with more prospects for young players anyway, particularly because of the manager.
Original post by Lúcio
The problem with this is that if he wants a move to a bigger club, he's not gonna be a guaranteed starter.

If he proves himself, he could definitely get in to our side, but with Coutinho and Mané on the wings it would be a hell of a task.

At PSG he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter and he wouldn't be in a competitive league. Arsenal are unlikely to shell out the money for him and even if they would, Liverpool are arguably a side with more prospects for young players anyway, particularly because of the manager.

This is Wengers last season though. Arsenal will rise once he goes.

And lets be honest who would a player rather play for....Liverpool or Arsenal. If i had that choice I would be Arsenal everyday :tongue:
Original post by Zerforax
Klopp wants the best for the team so if Draxler is an upgrade and we can get him, then I think Klopp would. If Firmino becomes a bench option then so be it.

Klopp obviously is willing to spend big if he thinks a player can make the difference - see Mane and Wijnaldum.

Really do hope we try and sign at least one player for the first team, especially considering that we didn't spend much (net) in the summer.

Yh but will Draxler be as effective as Firmino does in a central position?
This is Wengers last season though. Arsenal will rise once he goes.

And lets be honest who would a player rather play for....Liverpool or Arsenal. If i had that choice I would be Arsenal everyday :tongue:

Do you know that for certain?
Also, we're looking to buy now not in the summer.

That's your bias talking tbh - Arsenal are an almost team. We may have had our ups and downs but they have made no progress in the last decade. With Klopp at the helm, Liverpool are a much more exiting prospect than Arsenal.
Reply 789
Exiting prospect?

You mean like exiting out of the CL in the group stages or Exiting out of two finals in one season.
Original post by Lúcio
Do you know that for certain?

Yes, he's going to go.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Exiting prospect?

You mean like exiting out of the CL in the group stages or Exiting out of two finals in one season.

CL was under Rodgers, not Klopp.

Love how you're using the fact we lost two finals as a bad thing - yes it's disappointing but we actually got to two finals with a manager who hadn't bought a single player...

I'm sorry that we aren't Chelsea who abuse the system by buying literally every single youth prospect they can and loan them out year after year. I think 38 was my last count...
Original post by Lúcio
CL was under Rodgers, not Klopp.

Love how you're using the fact we lost two finals as a bad thing - yes it's disappointing but we actually got to two finals with a manager who hadn't bought a single player...

I'm sorry that we aren't Chelsea who abuse the system by buying literally every single youth prospect they can and loan them out year after year. I think 38 was my last count...

don't forget the **** defensive football they play under that italian fraud Conte.

He will be exposed soon. They might win the league this season who knows but Conte will be sacked next season, you heard it here first.
Draxler is a win-win situation for us.

One way of looking at him is a great, talented prospect, who isn't happy with his club's current project, and has an extensive highlights reel. He's played on the biggest stages and is very highly regarded. If he comes into the team he'll be useful given the CL games we'll have next year. There's no obligation for him to be integral from day one and we won't be reliant on him, so he could grow into the team without pressure.

Another way is seeing a 23 year old with a consistently shoddy goal contribution, and little improvement from age 19/20. He's flashy but ultimately inconsistent and does not provide any kind of the goals and assist return that a wideman, especially in a Klopp 4-3-3, is expected to provide.

So if we get him, then there's so much upside that it's worth the risk, and if we don't get him, it's not a negative at all. Expecting him to do big things in January is pretty fanciful, so the argument of buying him in Jan to fill in for Mane is redundant. And on the tiny chance that we don't get him and he truly fulfills his potential elsewhere, we can console ourselves with 'he wouldn't fit into our system anyway'.
Reply 794
don't forget the **** defensive football they play under that italian fraud Conte.

He will be exposed soon. They might win the league this season who knows but Conte will be sacked next season, you heard it here first.

You're managed by mourinho and you talk about defensive football?

Pm me your dealer reckon he's got some good stuff.

We're on track for the points record anyway, reckon mous tears will be incredibly salty when/if we break it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Draxler and Firmino share the same agent, the fact that Firmino's come out and said he's happy may have some swaying power.
You're managed by mourinho and you talk about defensive football?

Pm me your dealer reckon he's got some good stuff.

We're on track for the points record anyway, reckon mous tears will be incredibly salty when we break it.

Have you seen the way we play vs how you play under Conte?

Big difference. We are playing much more attractive attacking football than Chelsea. You're deluded if you think otherwise.

Also it's no surprise the team is doing well....no Europa League, no CL ofc its going to be easy with the quality of players you have. Imagine how different it would be right now if we didn't have EL football.
Reply 797
Have you seen the way we play vs how you play under Conte?

Big difference. We are playing much more attractive attacking football than Chelsea. You're deluded if you think otherwise.

Also it's no surprise the team is doing well....no Europa League, no CL ofc its going to be easy with the quality of players you have. Imagine how different it would be right now if we didn't have EL football.

???????

Only difference is that we dont concede and we actually know how to consistently counter as well as score goals.

Anyway yh I agree with draxler being win win if you don't pay ridiculous amounts. what would be a good price for draxler in your opinions?
???????

Only difference is that we dont concede and we actually know how to consistently counter as well as score goals.

Anyway yh I agree with draxler being win win if you don't pay ridiculous amounts. what would be a good price for draxler in your opinions?

Chelsea are a plastic club and you'll sack Conte next season when things get real shaky :lol:

watch :wink: and i'll quote this post when it comes to fruition :biggrin:
???????

20-25million will be a good deal imo considering all the inflation and wacky fees of late in the transfer market. Apparently he's off to PSG though.

Latest