The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rk rubbing his hands waiting for someone to bite...
Reply 121
Original post by Rk2k14
Would have thought a Liverpool fan of all people would understand that just scoring goals doesn't win you a title.

Then again you haven't won one in over 25 years so your lack of knowledge is excusable.

The 2007-08 title bid failed because of too many draws. I count 5 0-0 draws so the lack of goals in those games was the difference between winning the title at a canter and losing out by 4 points.

The 2013-2014 title bid, Man City outscored us on the way to their title win with a massive 102 goals scored by them in 38 games.

I'd focus more on your own team scoring right now. 10 goals in the last 8 games is skewed by the 4 against Leicester and the 3 against Swansea. I'd expect a little better when your 3 star players are paid around 800k a week to try and get the little round thing into the net.
^rekt
Because United are relevant to the discussion of a title bid.

On the topic of randomness.
Reply 124
Original post by Rk2k14
Because United are relevant to the discussion of a title bid.

On the topic of randomness.

After spending 150mil in the summer and 100mil last summer and 150mil the summer before I think everyone expected Man Utd to be competing in a title challenge. Who knows, maybe you guys are just having a slow start to the season.

My point still stands that you need to outscore your opponents by at least +1 as often and as consistently as possible to win league titles.
Original post by Zerforax
After spending 150mil in the summer and 100mil last summer and 150mil the summer before I think everyone expected Man Utd to be competing in a title challenge. Who knows, maybe you guys are just having a slow start to the season.

My point still stands that you need to outscore your opponents by at least +1 as often and as consistently as possible to win league titles.

Yeah given the money spent we should have been mounting a title charge but too many poor performances at the start (and your rivals doing very well) has but that to bed.

I was just quoting the great man:wink:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478587751.462715.jpg

Brilliant graphic from twitter showing minutes per goal/assist from players in Europe's top 5 leagues when removing penalties.

There's some top players on that list so it's great to see Coutinho (+ Firmino and Mané) so high up there.
It's ridiculous how far ahead Messi is compared to everyone else bar Ribery. Lol at people who think Ronaldo is better...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by Lúcio
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478587751.462715.jpg

Brilliant graphic from twitter showing minutes per goal/assist from players in Europe's top 5 leagues when removing penalties.

There's some top players on that list so it's great to see Coutinho (+ Firmino and Mané) so high up there.
It's ridiculous how far ahead Messi is compared to everyone else bar Ribery. Lol at people who think Ronaldo is better...

Is this for this season so far? Surprised Lallana isn't there.
Reply 128
Pedro's killed it this season then.
Original post by Zerforax
Is this for this season so far? Surprised Lallana isn't there.

Yeah I believe so.

I think with Lallana, it's more of him passing to the assister. He wins the ball back, drives forward and then offloads to one of the front 3 who assist another.

His goals/assist stats may not show it but he has been absolutely phenomenal so far this season.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478612293.061947.jpg

Interesting image showing average number of shots conceded per game.

I'm not surprised we concede the fewest shots with our possession game - we actually have a good defence. The problem is that when we do concede a shot, it's usually a very good chance which the opponents score from.

I'm willing to bet we have both the lowest shots conceded and lowest save rate in the league...
Reply 131
Original post by Lúcio
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478612293.061947.jpg

Interesting image showing average number of shots conceded per game.

I'm not surprised we concede the fewest shots with our possession game - we actually have a good defence. The problem is that when we do concede a shot, it's usually a very good chance which the opponents score from.

I'm willing to bet we have both the lowest shots conceded and lowest save rate in the league...

Yep that is the stat I've been waiting for. It will even out slowly where we go on a run and keep a run of clean sheets tbh.
Reply 132
So we've passed the quarter mark of the season now that we're already 11 games into the season (and sitting pretty at the top).

I don't think anyone can dispute what appears to be Klopp's preferred starting XI (subject to one position):

Karius, Milner, Lovren, Matip, Clyne, Henderson, Wijnaldum*, Lallana, Coutinho, Mane and Firmino

(*query if it is Wijnaldum or Can)

Now are we sitting pretty because we have an amazing 11 and the players have been on form or do we have the depth in the squad to try and hold the position for longer? Or will it fall away if certain players are missing. Is it the star individuals or Klopp's system that has made us great?

We've seen some rotation/stepping in due to injury in certain positions:

Mignolet/Karius - arguable wouldn't make too much difference
Milner/Moreno - Milner much preferred but Moreno did well in his last appearance
Lovren/Klavan/Lucas - we've seen the other two step in and perform well
Wijnaldum/Can - both doing slightly different roles but have rotated
Sturridge/Origi coming in for one of the front 4

Are we screwed if we were to lose Matip, Henderson, Clyne, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Mane? With the front 4, we could possibly have Sturrudge come in and not lose too much but if we lost two it starts to look different..
Mane will go to AFCON in Jan, but seems that we're likely to buy in Jan for that reason and Ings injury.
Original post by mr tim
Mane will go to AFCON in Jan, but seems that we're likely to buy in Jan for that reason and Ings injury.

Let's just causally buy Aubameyang... :wink:

Oh wait, he'd be at AFCON too - Gabon are actually hosting it I believe :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
What result would people prefer from the United/Arsenal match, assuming that we beat Southampton?

Would we want a great consolidation of top 4 by being 11 pts clear of United, or would we want to stretch our lead from Arsenal to 5pts?

I guess a draw satisfies both but I think at the moment I'd prefer a United win because "as things stand" we're looking like potential title contenders rather than just top 4 hopefuls...
(edited 7 years ago)
A United win or draw will help us a lot for a title challenge. A United loss doesn't help us much as it won't increase our point tally from 5th place , we need Spurs to drop points for that. At this stage we do prefer United to get a result as much as it pains us to say it but we won't exactly complain they lose either, still early in the season.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 137
Don't think I really care at this moment in time what other clubs do?

We have a run of 7 winnable games (which we're probably favourites for all of those) before Man City on NYE (ffs just realised I'm going to miss watching this game :frown:)

If we can pick up something like 17 points from those games.. we'd be in a great position hitting almost the halfway mark of the season.

After that, we can see who's still in the race or not. I'd be fine with a draw I think.
Original post by samir12
A United win or draw will help us a lot for a title challenge. A United loss doesn't help us much as it won't increase our point tally from 5th place , we need Spurs to drop points for that. At this stage we do prefer United to get a result as much as it pains us to say it but we won't exactly complain they lose either, still early in the season.

Pretty much this - the fact that so many rivals play each other is amazing for us. We haven't lost to a single one yet so we've done tremously well considering our fixture list and we're reaping the rewards now.

The rival fixtures until the end of the year in chronological order will be:

Man Utd v Arsenal
Chelsea v Spurs
Man City v Chelsea
Man Utd v Spurs
Man City v Arsenal
Liverpool v Man City

As you can see, everybody still has to play 2 rival teams except City who must play 3 and Liverpool who only have 1. Makes things look very good for us.
Reply 139
United vs spurs and united arsenal are not rival fixtures.

Latest