Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I'm just a bit panicked and worried at the moment about my future. I started uni 6 weeks ago and am really not enjoying it, so am now thinking about dropping out.

I've read here that SFE will expect immediate repayment of any overpayment of maintenance loans, and being a student, most of these monies have already been spent on accommodation, food and supplies for the course (luckily, it's a monthly rent with a rolling contract, so that should be okay!).

I suspect my 'overpayment' comes to about £2.5k, so I am very worried about SFE expecting this payment back immediately on withdrawal as neither me nor my parent could afford this much so suddenly.

I have come across a payment repayment plan where you pay a bit back each week/month until the balance has cleared - so this would be the only way I could reasonably pay it back until I have a few months wages behind me to pay off the lump sum.

As for the tuition fee, I believe that would remain in my student repayment account and would be subject to the usual 'only repay if earning £21k+ a year'.

If you could provide any insight into this conundrum, it'd be appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Dubois98)
    Hi All,

I'm just a bit panicked and worried at the moment about my future. I started uni 6 weeks ago and am really not enjoying it, so am now thinking about dropping out.

I've read here that SFE will expect immediate repayment of any overpayment of maintenance loans, and being a student, most of these monies have already been spent on accommodation, food and supplies for the course (luckily, it's a monthly rent with a rolling contract, so that should be okay!).

I suspect my 'overpayment' comes to about £2.5k, so I am very worried about SFE expecting this payment back immediately on withdrawal as neither me nor my parent could afford this much so suddenly.

I have come across a payment repayment plan where you pay a bit back each week/month until the balance has cleared - so this would be the only way I could reasonably pay it back until I have a few months wages behind me to pay off the lump sum.

As for the tuition fee, I believe that would remain in my student repayment account and would be subject to the usual 'only repay if earning £21k+ a year'.

If you could provide any insight into this conundrum, it'd be appreciated.
    If you can stick it out until Christmas (and submit your withdrawal on 1st January) then any overpayment would be minimal. Have you talked to anyone at your current university about what is making you unhappy? You should be able to get support with the formalities of withdrawing, arranging an application to start again elsewhere if that's what you want and the financial implications etc etc. Your course tutor, your careers service or your student union should all be able to help.

SFE will usually be happy to agree a repayment plan for the overpayment but they're done on a case by case basis.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

Tuition fees will always enter normal repayment when you're earning over the threshold so we will not ask for this back immediately.

Whilst any over payment will be dealt with quickly by us this does not mean to say we would demand full payment straight away, it will be passed to our collections team who would contact you and aim to set up a repayment plan that is affordable to you.

Thanks.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.