Turn on thread page Beta

Have British court demoralised new/future citizens? watch

ReputationRep:
    This time some quite creditable sources:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ked-woman.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...***-FREED.html

Seems you've introduced double standards in the UK. It's demoralising. It doesn't matter is someone a Christian, a Muslim, an Atheist, European, African or Asian. If you show a one the he or she can do something bad and not take responsibility for it, you teach the one that he or she is above the law, so you may expect that person to behave even worse in the future.
    Even if the attackers won't do something like this in the future, the message for other's is clear: 'If you're a Muslim and drunk, you are not responsible for your crimes.'

ReputationRep:
    Article's 5 years old, fam, but I take your point. This ruling wouldn't stand public scrutiny in the current Islamophobic climate :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Newspaper reports of sentencing decisions are often poor and it is very difficult to see the totality of information that informed a judge's decision.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    This time some quite creditable sources:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ked-woman.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...***-FREED.html

Seems you've introduced double standards in the UK. It's demoralising. It doesn't matter is someone a Christian, a Muslim, an Atheist, European, African or Asian. If you show a one the he or she can do something bad and not take responsibility for it, you teach the one that he or she is above the law, so you may expect that person to behave even worse in the future.
    Even if the attackers won't do something like this in the future, the message for other's is clear: 'If you're a Muslim and drunk, you are not responsible for your crimes.'
    Do you ever post anything that isnt do do with trying to stir up racial tensions?
    The DM is no a creditable source. Telegraph is ok.

They arent above the law. They got a non custodial sentence. If the CPS were unhappy then they have the opportunity to appeal.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Actually having done a little digging the whole story has been distorted.
    the Telegraph took it from the Mail who took it from the Leicester Mercury and then distorted it to give it an anti muslim slant which the OP gleefully but inaccurately reports.

Fulfact investigated

Alcohol was simply raised by one of the defendants solicitors at an attempt at mitigation. It did not figure in the judges sentencing.

According to the Mercury, the Judge Robert Brown said, "This was ugly and reflects very badly on all four of you. Those who knock someone to the floor and kick them in the head can expect to go inside, but I'm going to suspend the sentence".

The paper reported that the Judge accepted the women may have been victims of unreasonable force from the victim's partner, who was walking with her at the time of the attack. The inference by the article, and by our contact with the Judiciary, was that this admission led to the suspended sentence.
    https://fullfact.org/news/did-group-...scape-jail-att
    http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/ga...ail/story.html
    ack-because-they-were-not-used-alcohol/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Do you ever post anything that isnt do do with trying to stir up racial tensions?
    1. Most of the time
    2. Since when religion is a race?

Telegraph is ok.
    As seen in post number 5.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PTMalewski)
    1. Most of the time
    2. Since when religion is a race?

As seen in post number 5.
    Ive already pointed out your whole post from a story over 5 years ago is a load of grabage. Go and read the fullfact investigation.

I retract the point about the Telegraph being ok as that was before I looked into the story. the Telegraph copied it from the Mail, who copied and twisted it from the Leicester Mercury. Your post is a big misrepresentaion of what actually happened and the reasoning by the judge.

ReputationRep:
    Ive already pointed out your whole post from a story over 5 years ago is a load of grabage. Go and read the fullfact investigation.
    Yes, I noticed, that is why I've mentioned post number 5 in which you proved that you were wrong about credibility of the Telegraph.
    (apart from the fact the link is not working, but I trust you)

I have acknowledged provided info, so you may acknowledge that culture or religion has nothing to with race. If you're so decided upon correcting others, you may not make such mistakes in classification.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    https://fullfact.org/news/did-group-...-used-alcohol/

That appears to work.

Fine religiob is not race, but i was referring to previous posts of yours I have seen. You seem to have a big problem with brown people.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish. Seems you confuse criticism with hatred, and culture with races. I'm not interested in racial affairs at all. Religion and effect of cultural background as well as political and economic background on human behaviour is another story.

For example, if people of caucasian race were living in Eritrea, I would be worried, will our prisons be able to discourage white immigrants from that area, from commiting crimes, because of terrible life conditions in Eritrea, and rather good conditions in our prisons. There are plenty of factors that may cause some nations, probably none of them related to race, to be incompatible to other countries, and so far many of them seem to be ignored.

It seems that far right and press spreads often false information against immigration from Africa and the Middle East, while leftists seem to completely ignore cultural background, economic background (motivation!) and political background of that immigrants, not to mention the fact that at first moments, someone forget why boarders were ever actually created.
    Creating false problems, nor ignoring the real problems won't help.

And thanks for correcting me on certain issues anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.