Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR. I need help....

I now have an unconditional offer to study sociology at Bristol University.... but my mind is going crazy as to whether its the right thing to do. I am interested in the subject.... but unfortunately it is not as respected as many other subjects and this may affect my career prospects (note: i dont know what i want to do in the future). So, I have considered taking a year out to re- think and then apply for something new in 2008. Any advice / comments on this dilemna would be hugely appreciated....

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on what you want to do as a career. I think most employers would be happy enough that you had *a* degree, particularly if you got a first or a 2:1

ReputationRep:
    University is a huge investment in terms of time and money. Before I applied I spent a long time researching every aspect of it. If I was not 100% convinced the university and more importantly the course, was for me, I would not have applied.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're probably just having those "have i done the right thing" nerves that everyone suffers. You've got a place at uni now, don't give it up unless you have a definate plan of what you're going to do! Bristol is a good uni, and a degree from there will definatley be taken seriously by employers.

ReputationRep:
    Dont rush into anything. Bristol is an excellent university and your degree will be taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Its up to you - some people don't care too much about job prospects while some really do and would give up doing somthing which they are more interested for the better job chance.

Its up to you to see where you are in the scale .

You could always combine it with somthing, if it can be done. If you are interested in socialogy, have you considered Geography/Economics/Pscycology? They are real people degrees too, study of worldly workings which you could find really interesting.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.