Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a first year adult nursing student nurse, I'm a march intake so I'm nearly at the end of my first year, and have 8 weeks of placement left. I m growing very concerned with my current placement's organisation, as I have had great placements so far since starting the course, however this is a very different experience to what I am used to in terms of professionalism, and structure, I understand fully that not every placement will be a positive experience but you have to make the best out of it as it is what you want to gain from it at the end of the day, which I have been doing, for instance I have not spent one single day shadowing my mentor, nor have I been given a back up mentor to shadow, I have not spent one single day with a registered nurse, only short 5-10 minutes In which I have asked if I can shadow or observe a GP appointment with a resident. I understand first year is about gaining experience in basic personal care, Which I do to a high standard, and I was a healthcare assistant prior to starting my degree for 3 years, which my placement also know about as I discussed this with them when they asked what previous experience I had prior to being a student nurse. I feel that I am being taken advantage of, and counted in the numbers of the staffing at the home, for instance I work with the hca's every day, and they often ask me to see to multiple residents on my own, which includes manual handling and patient transfers. I was very surprised the other day when they asked me to take a resident to a hospital appointment, which I did as I was happy for the experience, and I know the hospital well as it's my hospital and I have had a placement here, however no one told me I wasn't allowed to go on my own as i'm a student nurse and i'm not employed by the home to take a resident out on my own without supervision from a RGN. My friend from university told me that day, that this isn't allowed as she wasn't allowed to do this on her last placement, she was still able to observe and go to the hospital appointment with the resident but only with the supervision from a RGN. Any advice would be great on what I can do to discuss this with my university. I don't like to be seen as a snitch on placement, however I feel I am being taken advantage of and I worry for other students that their learning opportunities will be compromised coming here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah92x)
    Hi, I'm a first year adult nursing student nurse, I'm a march intake so I'm nearly at the end of my first year, and have 8 weeks of placement left. I m growing very concerned with my current placement's organisation, as I have had great placements so far since starting the course, however this is a very different experience to what I am used to in terms of professionalism, and structure, I understand fully that not every placement will be a positive experience but you have to make the best out of it as it is what you want to gain from it at the end of the day, which I have been doing, for instance I have not spent one single day shadowing my mentor, nor have I been given a back up mentor to shadow, I have not spent one single day with a registered nurse, only short 5-10 minutes In which I have asked if I can shadow or observe a GP appointment with a resident. I understand first year is about gaining experience in basic personal care, Which I do to a high standard, and I was a healthcare assistant prior to starting my degree for 3 years, which my placement also know about as I discussed this with them when they asked what previous experience I had prior to being a student nurse. I feel that I am being taken advantage of, and counted in the numbers of the staffing at the home, for instance I work with the hca's every day, and they often ask me to see to multiple residents on my own, which includes manual handling and patient transfers. I was very surprised the other day when they asked me to take a resident to a hospital appointment, which I did as I was happy for the experience, and I know the hospital well as it's my hospital and I have had a placement here, however no one told me I wasn't allowed to go on my own as i'm a student nurse and i'm not employed by the home to take a resident out on my own without supervision from a RGN. My friend from university told me that day, that this isn't allowed as she wasn't allowed to do this on her last placement, she was still able to observe and go to the hospital appointment with the resident but only with the supervision from a RGN. Any advice would be great on what I can do to discuss this with my university. I don't like to be seen as a snitch on placement, however I feel I am being taken advantage of and I worry for other students that their learning opportunities will be compromised coming here.
    May I also add, It was the the mentor who asked me to take the resident to the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you're not having a great experience.
    Firstly, for accompanying patients, I'd check your university policy.
    At my university we are allowed to accompany and chaperone patients on our own as long as we feel comfortable doing so. So please do bring this up with your link lecturer or personal tutor or a member of staff within university.
    Your placement may not be aware of such policies.
    However, in accordance with NMC guidelines you need to spend time with a mentor (40%) to allow for adequate supervision and therefore adequate assessment.
    You cannot be assessed without anyone observing you and getting to know you. Especially as you're coming to the end of your first year.
    However, first year not only teaches you clinical experience, but how to become more assertive and confident within your clinical practice.
    I do think you need to sit down with your mentor an explain how you're feeling to enable you to get the most out of your clinical experience.
    If you don't feel comfortable with this, please do speak to someone in your university.
    You're there to learn, not be used as staff. This can be very detrimental to your learning and you will notice when you go out on placement in your 2nd year.
    Do meet with staff to discuss this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.