Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I'm filling in application forms... for A- Levels and I don't really know what I want to take because I want to do something creative since I do really enjoy Art GCSE but I also want to like go down the Criminal law path/ criminology. So far I'm thinking to take History, Psychology, Philosophy. However I also want to do art but like I know it can't necessarily be taken as an AS. Really the AS thing doesn't exist for most subjects now. Do you see my dilemma 😂😂, so does anyone have any ideas, personal experiences... I'm new to TSR so I'd appreciate any piece of advice
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by CL16)
    Hello
    I'm filling in application forms... for A- Levels and I don't really know what I want to take because I want to do something creative since I do really enjoy Art GCSE but I also want to like go down the Criminal law path/ criminology. So far I'm thinking to take History, Psychology, Philosophy. However I also want to do art but like I know it can't necessarily be taken as an AS. Really the AS thing doesn't exist for most subjects now. Do you see my dilemma 😂😂, so does anyone have any ideas, personal experiences... I'm new to TSR so I'd appreciate any piece of advice
    Even if you can't do it at A-Level, you can still keep it as a hobby and an extracurricular so keep that in mind
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Even if you can't do it at A-Level, you can still keep it as a hobby and an extracurricular so keep that in mind
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CL16)
    Hello
    If it's a hobby, keep it as a hobby if you also want to do other subjects and want to do law as most good unis want assisting subjects
    Also, I'm not sure if it's the same for you lot but in our school ppl who do 4+ subjects can drop it after taking there AS (obviously can drop it whenever but to get the grade for it is what I'm talking about) exam and walk away with that grade allowing them to say that they got an AD grade in that/those subject(s). But for those that don't and for those that do 3 Alevels, the AS exams will be treated as mocks so won't count towards your final- they're only used to help to make predicted grades for uni, so the once called A2 exams will see you having to learn two years worth of content so everything is tested in yr13
    Also one thing I must add is that ppl who could not decide between doing philosophy or RS (I think u can do both but because they're really similar not many would want to do them both) were asked whether they liked English or maths better
    Those that said English were told RS would be best for them and for those that like maths were told they might like philosophy
    Also, I saw this revison booklet for Philosophy and this diagram they'd need to learn actually looked quite mathsy so in glad I chose RS even though I planning to drop it after I get my AS grade (I enjoy it a lot- it's very interesting but because if the weird combination of my Alevels it would be best if I drop it, although I know I'm gonna find it hard to drop it! - this was just because I saw that you're also considering doing philosophy a level!

ReputationRep:
    Can you do sociology at your college/sixth form? It has a unit on crime so would fit well

ReputationRep:
    Right now I've chosen to do History, Philosophy and Psychology. Are those good choices regardless of I do law because I don't think I'll do law anymore and still want options buy because I might go into something more creative- should I edit my choices and put an art in or like media studies ? However I want to know if doing an art and history will be a good combo if I change either philosophy or psychology
    (Original post by CL16)
    Hello

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for all the info ? What subjects are you doing and what would you like it to lead it to. Also out of my history, psychology and Philosophy I'm thinking to change one to do something abit more creative but I'm not sure because I still want the option choices to give me a wide range of choice
    (Original post by Starlight2000)
    If it's a hobby, keep it as a hobby if you also want to do other subjects and want to do law as most good unis want assisting subjects
    Also, I'm not sure if it's the same for you lot but in our school ppl who do 4+ subjects can drop it after taking there AS (obviously can drop it whenever but to get the grade for it is what I'm talking about) exam and walk away with that grade allowing them to say that they got an AD grade in that/those subject(s). But for those that don't and for those that do 3 Alevels, the AS exams will be treated as mocks so won't count towards your final- they're only used to help to make predicted grades for uni, so the once called A2 exams will see you having to learn two years worth of content so everything is tested in yr13
    Also one thing I must add is that ppl who could not decide between doing philosophy or RS (I think u can do both but because they're really similar not many would want to do them both) were asked whether they liked English or maths better
    Those that said English were told RS would be best for them and for those that like maths were told they might like philosophy
    Also, I saw this revison booklet for Philosophy and this diagram they'd need to learn actually looked quite mathsy so in glad I chose RS even though I planning to drop it after I get my AS grade (I enjoy it a lot- it's very interesting but because if the weird combination of my Alevels it would be best if I drop it, although I know I'm gonna find it hard to drop it! - this was just because I saw that you're also considering doing philosophy a level!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CL16)
    Hi thanks for all the info ? What subjects are you doing and what would you like it to lead it to. Also out of my history, psychology and Philosophy I'm thinking to change one to do something abit more creative but I'm not sure because I still want the option choices to give me a wide range of choice
    I'm doing biology, chemistry, RS , and English and was initially gonna be drop RS but I feel like that would be the worst decision ever as I love it and it also kinda help me with English in terms of Shakespeare's plays- I can't even imagine dropping English so that leaves bio and chem- most probably bio will have to go.
    At first, I really wanted to study law and become a solicitor and lawyer but really the only reason why was because I loved English (I'm not AT ALL) a confident plus I did work experience at a law firm that has completely put me off it. I used dream of becoming something to do with science but hey that is IMPOSSIBLE for me so now I've kinda started loving RS and I'm actually great at it (I don't mean to boast or anything especially as some ppl see RS as easy-not quite true though as u still have to put in a lot of effort!) so kinda want to study something to do with RS but not really that- would be great to be an RS teacher but that comes with having to deal with difficult students!
    Oh and must I add: philosophy isn't that creative a subject as you really mostly study about different philosophers and what they believe whereas RS (though it involves teachings from religion and opinions philosophers that u should refer to in the exams) gives u quite a bit of freedom hence bringing out ur creativity side!
    People who couldn't choose between RS and philosophy whether the like maths or English
    English= you'd rather choose RS
    Maths=philosophy would be good for you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's all really interesting but yh now I've decided I'll do history, fine art and psychology- I feel like that's a good mix and will give me a lot of career options. Then I have some back up ideas e.g. Philosophy, media studies and English or something like that but at the moment I'm really happy ☺️☺️. Thanks again
    (Original post by Starlight2000)
    I'm doing biology, chemistry, RS , and English and was initially gonna be drop RS but I feel like that would be the worst decision ever as I love it and it also kinda help me with English in terms of Shakespeare's plays- I can't even imagine dropping English so that leaves bio and chem- most probably bio will have to go.
    At first, I really wanted to study law and become a solicitor and lawyer but really the only reason why was because I loved English (I'm not AT ALL) a confident plus I did work experience at a law firm that has completely put me off it. I used dream of becoming something to do with science but hey that is IMPOSSIBLE for me so now I've kinda started loving RS and I'm actually great at it (I don't mean to boast or anything especially as some ppl see RS as easy-not quite true though as u still have to put in a lot of effort!) so kinda want to study something to do with RS but not really that- would be great to be an RS teacher but that comes with having to deal with difficult students!
    Oh and must I add: philosophy isn't that creative a subject as you really mostly study about different philosophers and what they believe whereas RS (though it involves teachings from religion and opinions philosophers that u should refer to in the exams) gives u quite a bit of freedom hence bringing out ur creativity side!
    People who couldn't choose between RS and philosophy whether the like maths or English
    English= you'd rather choose RS
    Maths=philosophy would be good for you

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.