Turn on thread page Beta

Is different religions/cultures the reason for world conflic/terrorism? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think it partly is, i.e Northern Ireland, which is between two Christian denomonations and who N Ireland should belong to, the UK, Ireland or both, beween Israel and Palestine between Muslims, Jews and Christians all land over , which is petty, India and Pakistan between Muslism and Hindus etc and in Africa between Arabs in the North and Black Southern Africans

Why can't we live in a conflict free world and respect others, whatever religion or not, they choose to believe or is that too easy for some to follow?

What do others think?

ReputationRep:
    theres been conflit over religion for centuries.....and its so bloody i dont think it will ever stop ...till the end of the world..!

ReputationRep:
    Mostly to do with control and land masked by leaders who say its for religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TML)
    Mostly to do with control and land masked by leaders who say its for religion.
    Religion and culture can often play an ostenible role in conflict with issues of politics and land ownership often behind the 'mask'. Very few conflcits in the modern can be dissected as simple; as societies develop in complexity, so do their reasons for strife.

If you were to look at the conceptual reasons for conflict in, say, the Roman Republic it was often motivated by several generic determinants; expansion of territory in order to gain financial advantage (loot, slaves etc), to exploit a material/resource (wood, stone, precious or rare objects etc) or to stabilise and passify a border region.

Once the cumulative benefit of expanding decreases (fielding an army to conquer a province is more costly than the potential reward from loot, taxation etc, for example), so does simple warfare.

Very few modern conflicts in complex societies follow these cut and dried generic patterns; whilst it can be argued that Iraq was a war for a resource (oil) there were also complex geo-political goals.

In Northern Ireland, the original conflict was one which was ultimately relgious as was the conflict in Palestein/Israel. Today however, causes have been frequently hijacked in complex societies so that religion becomes a 'recruitment poster' to ease anxieties about casualties or to garner popular support as people's loyalties are often stronger for religious/cultural groups than solely secular national groups.

ReputationRep:
    Religion and culture can often play an ostenible role in conflict with issues of politics and land ownership often behind the 'mask'. Very few conflcits in the modern can be dissected as simple; as societies develop in complexity, so do their reasons for strife.
    Oh, of course, I was generalising; hence the word "mostly".

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that the most important factor in most wars is economics/money. Of course the factors are complicated and many, but hardly a war is fought that isn't on some level about money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HertfordshireBoy)
    I think it partly is, i.e Northern Ireland, which is between two Christian denomonations and who N Ireland should belong to, the UK, Ireland or both, beween Israel and Palestine between Muslims, Jews and Christians all land over , which is petty, India and Pakistan between Muslism and Hindus etc and in Africa between Arabs in the North and Black Southern Africans

Why can't we live in a conflict free world and respect others, whatever religion or not, they choose to believe or is that too easy for some to follow?

What do others think?
    The NI conflict was always about nationalism. It had bugger all to do with religion. Nobody was fighting over the validity of the Pope as the Vicar of Christ or the doctrine of transubstantiation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TML)
    Oh, of course, I was generalising; hence the word "mostly".
    I wasn't criticising you anyway. Never fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxXElzXxX)
    theres been conflit over religion for centuries.....and its so bloody i dont think it will ever stop ...till the end of the world..!
    No, I think you're wrong. I think violent conflict between different societies will decline as time goes by.

Apart from the Muslim world which is still relatively violent, the rest of Civilization has pacified quite considerably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HertfordshireBoy)

What do others think?
    Northern Ireland was never about religion, it was about nationality. Religion was just one of many ways to spot the other side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    Northern Ireland was never about religion, it was about nationality. Religion was just one of many ways to spot the other side.
    Generally speaking you're correct. But there were protestant members of the IRA.

ReputationRep:
    modern Irish republicanism was founded by presbyterians, but that was well over 200 years ago and while during the troubles the majority of IRA men were catholics most had little time for the church, it was excommunicating them for most of the century.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't about religion. But theres no denying that religion has become an identifying factor, and that religion has played a fundamental role in the case of Loyalism. The Orange Order, early Ian Paisley, the blistering anti-Catholicism in UDA/UVF/Shankill Butchers (thought I'd get the word blistering in there). At the other end of the scale, no one could say for a minute that the IRA were anti-Protestant. It was all political for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    The NI conflict was always about nationalism. It had bugger all to do with religion. Nobody was fighting over the validity of the Pope as the Vicar of Christ or the doctrine of transubstantiation.
    Indeed, you're quite correct. In fact, I think most long-term modern conflicts can be boiled down to nationalism in some form.

Every ******** seems to want control of the force of government, which is one of the obvious utilitarian reasons for depriving the government of most of its power and detach it from any one group. This is why I pretty much detest nationalism in any form.

ReputationRep:
    Well if it isn't for the above, then it's for land, trade disputes, women, family feuds... just look at the history of Britain for proof.

Humans are just violent idiots, they fight over anything, and a couple of those reasons are race and religion

ReputationRep:
    I concur. Hence the crusades. Many leaders simply use religion as a cover to gain what they want, it's a way of controlling the masses in honesty.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.