St Andrews
Nottingham

Never heard of the other 2.
Spheniscidae2039
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oxford > Cambridge > Imperial > LSE > UCL > Kings > Bristol > Warwick > Nottingham > St Andrews > Durham > Bath

UCL might be above LSE these days though idk
JohnsonK10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oxford > Cambridge > LSE > Imperial > KCL (purely cause of it having King's and London in its name) > UCL > Bristol > St Andrews > Warwick > Durham > Bath > Nottingham
DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think Oxbridge, LSE and imperial have international prestige. After that, there is a drop. UCL would be next, followed by Kings and St Andrews and Warwick. The rest aren't very prestigious on an international scale.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please define what you mean by 'prestige'.
username2485535
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Please define what you mean by 'prestige'.
So in the fields of mainly economics maths and finance, if i got a degree from one of these universities, and say I wanted to find work in usa,china,middleast etc. How would you rank the unis at how the average employer in those regions would measure me by.

Hope you get what i mean, and thanks for tge replies.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mehtj006)
So in the fields of mainly economics maths and finance, if i got a degree from one of these universities, and say I wanted to find work in usa,china, middle east etc. How would you rank the unis at how the average employer in those regions would measure me by.
If you have a First class honours degree from any of these Universities, if you speak the relevant language, and have an interesting CV with relevant work experience, then employers in any of those countries would be interested in you. Employers do not nit-pick over 'which Uni' to this extent - they are far more interested in your overall application strengths. Its about you, not the brand name of the University you went to.
username2485535
Rep:
?
If you have a First class honours degree from any of these Universities, if you speak the relevant language, and have an interesting CV with relevant work experience, then employers in any of those countries would be interested in you. Employers do not nit-pick over 'which Uni' to this extent - they are far more interested in your overall application strengths. Its about you, not the brand name of the University you went to.
I'm with you on that 90%, however , getting into an investment bank requires you to obtain an initial interview. Most people have the same cv etc, therefore a significant factor could be the uni.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd say that his internships are far more important than his degree.
username2485535
Rep:
?
(Original post by Josb)
I'd say that his internships are far more important than his degree.
Again very true, but how does one secure the interview in the first stage. Yes, your personality etc helps, but that's only in the interview. On the selection process, for an undergrad internship, your uni plays a big part, wouldn't you agree?
Edulcorante
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My international prestige ranking would be Oxford, Cambridge and no one else. Maybe LSE at a stretch. UK universities other than those are virtually unknown out of the UK so "international prestige" is a meaningless concept when it comes to building a career.

Prestige within the UK might mean a little more because even if you're aiming for a global career, the people initially hiring you will be based in the UK and familiar with the UK uni system. But even that is negligible if you're a great candidate. In the end it's up to you yourself to impress and excel. A name on a piece of paper won't do that for you.

People tend to get too hung up on the idea of prestige. It's understandable but it's almost like they expect the institution to do all the work for them.
wolfmoon88
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Edulcorante)
My international prestige ranking would be Oxford, Cambridge and no one else. Maybe LSE at a stretch. UK universities other than those are virtually unknown out of the UK so "international prestige" is a meaningless concept when it comes to building a career.

Prestige within the UK might mean a little more because even if you're aiming for a global career, the people initially hiring you will be based in the UK and familiar with the UK uni system. But even that is negligible if you're a great candidate. In the end it's up to you yourself to impress and excel. A name on a piece of paper won't do that for you.

People tend to get too hung up on the idea of prestige. It's understandable but it's almost like they expect the institution to do all the work for them.
Just saying that generally Imperial and Edinburgh are also rather well know in the international setting but your point still stands for the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RachaelBee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In case you're wondering the QS world rankings for the unis you listed goes:

Cambridge (4)
Oxford (6)
UCL (7)
ICL (9)
KCL (21)
LSE (37)
Bristol (41)
Warwick (51)
Durham (74)
Nottingham (75)
St Andrews (77)
Bath (159)

But check out by subject if you want a better idea of how employers view your course in particular. Being perfectly honest though, they're all good universities and people put so much unnecessary pressure on themselves thanks to league tables. There's a massive difference between the top and the bottom f the tables, sure (I'm finding this out right now), but a few league table ranking places doesn't really translate to much in the real world when you have you actual degree mark, CV, and interview to consider, all of which are more important than which good uni out of a choice of 12 good unis you went to. Hope all of that makes sense and is coherent; I'm currently on some strong painkillers so every now and then I'm reading stuff back and wondering wtf I was on about at the time of writing!

(Original post by Yaboi)
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
Lse
Ucl
Durham
Bath
St Andrews
Nottingham

Never heard of the other 2.
Is this meant to be sarcasm, since you're posting in the King's forum? If you'e being serious then I'm not sure academia is for you...
username2485535
Rep:
?
(Original post by RachaelBee)
In case you're wondering the QS world rankings for the unis you listed goes:

Cambridge (4)
Oxford (6)
UCL (7)
ICL (9)
KCL (21)
LSE (37)
Bristol (41)
Warwick (51)
Durham (74)
Nottingham (75)
St Andrews (77)
Bath (159)

But check out by subject if you want a better idea of how employers view your course in particular. Being perfectly honest though, they're all good universities and people put so much unnecessary pressure on themselves thanks to league tables. There's a massive difference between the top and the bottom f the tables, sure (I'm finding this out right now), but a few league table ranking places doesn't really translate to much in the real world when you have you actual degree mark, CV, and interview to consider, all of which are more important than which good uni out of a choice of 12 good unis you went to. Hope all of that makes sense and is coherent; I'm currently on some strong painkillers so every now and then I'm reading stuff back and wondering wtf I was on about at the time of writing!

Is this meant to be sarcasm, since you're posting in the King's forum? If you'e being serious then I'm not sure academia is for you...
Thank you, I'd agree with the list, only swap bristol and warwick. Were are you going/appying.
_Fergo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you, I'd agree with the list, only swap bristol and warwick. Were are you going/appying.
Trolol.

Warwick is actually higher than it should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yammy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Imperial
Kings college
Lse
Ucl
Warwick
Cambridge
Oxford
Bristol
Bath
Durham
St Andrews
Nottingham
where did edinburgh go
username2485535
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yammy)
where did edinburgh go
Ah yeahh, forgot about edinburgh, manchester and southampton
RachaelBee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm at KCL; their pharmacology dept ranks super high and they're the only uni that offers the course I'm doing since I'm doing a joint honours.

I'd also advise you to consider the sort of people you want to be at uni with. Some unis are described as being a "toxic environment". I have a friend who literally almost died from the strain she was under at Cambridge (it's an easily google-able article) and another who credits ICL as being responsible for the worst 4 years of his life because of the people around him. I have a fair few friends at ICL and they're all very quick to stress that they're fun and not representative of the majority of students etc which is quite sad. So prestige isn't everything when picking a uni; I know KCL overall isn't topping the list, but it's certainly good enough to get me where I want to be and I am having an amazing time while I'm here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (159)
15.71%
Uncertainty around my education (164)
16.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (96)
9.49%
Isolating with family (70)
6.92%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (37)
3.66%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (89)
8.79%
Loneliness (100)
9.88%
Financial worries (45)
4.45%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (92)
9.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (71)
7.02%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (89)
8.79%

Watched Threads