Riots & Revolution: what activists say will happen if Brexit is blocked. Watch

This discussion is closed.
BibleMan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The Brexit heartlands of Britain have reacted with fury to the High Court ruling that Article 50 could not be triggered without Parliamentary approval, with one senior Ukip councillor warning of riot and revolution if the UK is stopped from leaving the EU.

Other grassroots Brexiteers warned of “hell on Earth” and “Ukip on steroids” if “the elite” stopped Brexit from happening. Stephen Raven, a borough councillor in Boston, the town which recorded the UK’s biggest Brexit vote, went as far as warning that if Brexit were blocked: “Eventually we are going to have a civil riot. That’s my honest opinion.

You have got 17 million people [who voted Brexit] who are not going to be very happy at all if the decision gets overturned. “If Brexit doesn’t go ahead, you are going to get civil uproar. It’s not a word I use lightly, but there is going to be a revolution. There will be a revolution.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7396326.html
DeathGuardElite
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BibleMan)
The Brexit heartlands of Britain have reacted with fury to the High Court ruling that Article 50 could not be triggered without Parliamentary approval, with one senior Ukip councillor warning of riot and revolution if the UK is stopped from leaving the EU.

Other grassroots Brexiteers warned of “hell on Earth” and “Ukip on steroids” if “the elite” stopped Brexit from happening. Stephen Raven, a borough councillor in Boston, the town which recorded the UK’s biggest Brexit vote, went as far as warning that if Brexit were blocked: “Eventually we are going to have a civil riot. That’s my honest opinion.

You have got 17 million people [who voted Brexit] who are not going to be very happy at all if the decision gets overturned. “If Brexit doesn’t go ahead, you are going to get civil uproar. It’s not a word I use lightly, but there is going to be a revolution. There will be a revolution.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7396326.html
Smart move guys, burn your own **** down rob your own stores and kill your own people, that'll show them you're right.

Nah if anyone moves to violence i'll support action taken against them for this is how you'll kill the British state then there wont be a Brexit as there wont be a Britain.
fgn
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This country will not a revolution. Revolution requires some level of zeal the the British public do not posses.
fgn
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
This country will not a revolution. Revolution requires some level of zeal the the British public do not posses.
+ it's far too chilly
Tubbz
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"I really don't understand what all the fuss is about? Of all the arguments for leaving the European Union, the issue of sovereignty was, for me, the most respectable and persuasive. Taking back our sovereignty from Brussels means that the UK parliament has the final say on national policy. Isn't that what the Leavers wanted - that our elected representatives should be in control?"
Sums it up nicely for me.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If Brexit is blocked, it would be a very sad time for this country.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1. It's the law.
2. Isn't that what they wanted - the British Parliament deciding on things, not the EU, because it has accountability and the next election they can vote them out?

The second point is actually interesting, just read some article in a German news outlet with a politics professor and the bottom line was currently Parliament favors staying so what Theresa May has to do is a new election and then it is likely the new Parliament would vote for triggering Article 50.

But anyway, this outrage sums up a lot of Brexiters perfectly - ignorant morons that don't even know what they were voting for.
Rooster11366
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That sounds very interesting. But if it forces a general election which party do you think people would vote for. That could course alot more problems.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why is it that the anti-EU brigade are constantly stirring up hatred? It's complete nonsense anyway, Brexit has not been blocked, the decision has not been overturned. All the High Court have done is enforce Parliamentary sovereignty, which is what the leavers claim to have originally wanted. Anyone thinking of rioting needs to remember that democracy is about more than just voting.
Rooster11366
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes i agree with that. But the question is will mps go against the public that voted leave. Looking at the figures this morning. If they did,things will get worse for them. Also why does it need to go to house of Lords. No voted for them.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It simply won't happen that they will be needed to do this. Don't get me wrong, there are enough who want to block, but once it becomes apparent that, contrary to their assumptions, this is not a freak British vote, that the nation state is re-asserting itself, that Trump will win, that Italy could be leaving the Euro next, that Le Pen could be in power in France and they could vote to leave- well the whole game will be up. At the very least it will be massively remodelled as what it should have been before, a co-operative zone, but with no such protectionist concept as the single market, and no 'pooled sovereignty' or single currency, and at he most it will be over completely.

I would not believe much in media narratives or polls these days. I think France is just as much, if not more EU-skeptic than us.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It simply will not need to happen. Watch for the Italian referendum in December, then the French elections next year. I wouldn't believe much from polls around this time, and I think France is more anti-EU than Britain frankly. The nation state is re-asserting itself.

Trump will also be president, and I think Marine Le Pen is likely to be, if she is the only one to offer France a referendum.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ce-to-leave-EU
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
Why is it that the anti-EU brigade are constantly stirring up hatred? It's complete nonsense anyway, Brexit has not been blocked, the decision has not been overturned. All the High Court have done is enforce Parliamentary sovereignty, which is what the leavers claim to have originally wanted. Anyone thinking of rioting needs to remember that democracy is about more than just voting.
None of us on the leave side have said Brexit is blocked.

We have said IF it does get blocked there will be riots and protests.
And yes while we do want parliamentary sovereignty the people did call for leaving the EU and that is what the parliament should be looking at.

But since I imagine you were a remanian you like when the government have less power so you must also dislike this.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
None of us on the leave side have said Brexit is blocked.

We have said IF it does get blocked there will be riots and protests.
And yes while we do want parliamentary sovereignty the people did call for leaving the EU and that is what the parliament should be looking at.

But since I imagine you were a remanian you like when the government have less power so you must also dislike this.
I certainly dislike the idea of people rioting over a political decision. If you don't agree with what Parliament does, the solution is not to start acting violently. That's literally the most anti-democratic reaction possible. Peaceful protest? Fine. Criticising MPs in public discourse? Fine. Attacking innocent bystanders in the street? Definitely not fine.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
I certainly dislike the idea of people rioting over a political decision. If you don't agree with what Parliament does, the solution is not to start acting violently. That's literally the most anti-democratic reaction possible. Peaceful protest? Fine. Criticising MPs in public discourse? Fine. Attacking innocent bystanders in the street? Definitely not fine.
I dont want it to happen but I fear it will. I will be happy to protest and will condemn any violence that happens.
But look at the Miners riots and I fear something similar will happen, but I hope it will not
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fgn)

Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
I certainly dislike the idea of people rioting over a political decision.
That does kinda make it sound like you're ok with rioting against things that aren't political decisions, though...!
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I dont want it to happen but I fear it will. I will be happy to protest and will condemn any violence that happens.
But look at the Miners riots and I fear something similar will happen, but I hope it will not
There's a difference though. The miners were in an organised movement, there's no similar organisation for those who voted for Brexit.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a pity that some people are entirely willing to resort to violence in order to secure Brexit "for democracy". That people have reached that level of doublethink is pretty insane.

(Original post by Drewski)
That does kinda make it sound like you're ok with rioting against things that aren't political decisions, though...!
As a mathematician allow me to point out that (A => B) ≠> (!B => !A)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.25%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.62%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.78%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.04%
No, I chose not to (168)
29.32%