The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Listening to some of the language, for example, major newspapers calling judges 'enemies of the people' (when in fact all they are doing is interpreting the law correctly) and also even Parliamentarians effectively calling for the bypassing of Parliament, it's difficult not to suspect that we are bordering on fascism in this country at the moment.

Theresa May is the first Briton since Cromwell to effectively declare a dictatorship, although she's doing it with what is almost a minority government - another of her MPs has just gone and probably there will be more.
It's amazing how many leave supporters want a tiny cabal of establishment figures to determine the nature of Brexit with minimal oversight from our democratic institutions.

As for any potential riots, I can only hope that those involved are quickly neutralised.
It may not be a riot how about they vote ukip in.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Listening to some of the language, for example, major newspapers calling judges 'enemies of the people' (when in fact all they are doing is interpreting the law correctly) and also even Parliamentarians effectively calling for the bypassing of Parliament, it's difficult not to suspect that we are bordering on fascism in this country at the moment.

Theresa May is the first Briton since Cromwell to effectively declare a dictatorship, although she's doing it with what is almost a minority government - another of her MPs has just gone and probably there will be more.

Do stop being such an alarmist. A "dictatorship"?! She was part of the Remain camp.

I'm positively disgusted by the level of vitriol directed towards Leave voters on this site. ****ing morons.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dodgypirate
Do stop being such an alarmist. A "dictatorship"?! She was part of the Remain camp.

Well, if she once was, she certainly isn't acting like it now.

Declaring within minutes that a major constitutional ruling demanding that Parliament have a say will make no difference to her timetable or to the decision is dictatorship, pure and simple. Effectively, she is putting her government against Parliament and against the law.
Reply 25
Original post by Dez
It's a pity that some people are entirely willing to resort to violence in order to secure Brexit "for democracy". That people have reached that level of doublethink is pretty insane.

As a mathematician allow me to point out that (A => B) ≠> (!B => !A) :smile:

Is it democracy if parliament ignores what the public voted for?

I'm not a fan of violence but it is clear why it could happen.

It wouldn't just be a brexit issue it would be MPs failing to represent the people and that is a much bigger issue.
Reply 26
Original post by joecphillips
Is it democracy if parliament ignores what the public voted for?

The public expressed an opinion on leaving the EU. They did not express an opinion on trade deals, the single market, or freedom of movement. Parliament still has authority in those areas which it has every right to exercise.

I'm not a fan of violence but it is clear why it could happen.

That doesn't mean it's wise to encourage it.

It wouldn't just be a brexit issue it would be MPs failing to represent the people and that is a much bigger issue.

It's astronomically unlikely at this point that Parliament would vote against Brexit. MPs might well delay action and introduce a ton of bureaucracy, but that's not the same thing, even if some hardheaded political thugs fail to tell the difference.
(when in fact all they are doing is interpreting the law correctly)

If it was that obvious then they wouldn't have been asked for their judgement in the first place.

Declaring within minutes that a major constitutional ruling demanding that Parliament have a say will make no difference to her timetable or to the decision is dictatorship, pure and simple. Effectively, she is putting her government against Parliament and against the law.

The reality is that, if the situation was reversed & it was the same judges had ruled that a Referendum to Remain in the EU needed Parliamentary approval you wouldn't be so giddy about the situation . Especially if you knew that Parliament is likely to delay and amendment areas which are rather key points on what the electorate voted for.
I imagine you'd probably be marching down to Westminster dressed in a Che t-shirt with a molotov cocktail in hand if this were the case.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Rooster11366
Also why does it need to go to house of Lords. No voted for them.
A basic knowledge of the British Parliamentary system might help if you are going to discuss these things. All new laws must go before both Houses, and although the Lords cannot refuse to pass laws, they can send them back to the Commons for amendments and clarifications. It is basically a system of scrutiny and accountability.
There are many arguments for and against the HoL, but as we stand, it is a part of the legislative process.
Reply 30
"I insist that Parliament be allowed to operate without interference. And if it tries to operate without interference, I will riot!"

Kinda sums up the level of awareness of the Common Brexiteer.
Reply 31
Original post by Tempest II
The reality is that, if the situation was reversed & it was the same judges had ruled that a Referendum to Remain in the EU needed Parliamentary approval you wouldn't be so giddy about the situation .
"Needed Parliamentary approval" to do what, exactly? If Remain had the majority, nothing would have happened. No changes needed to be made. No laws needed to be passed.
There would be nothing for Parliament to approve so the issue would not even exist.

Seriously, arguing with most Beleavers is like arguing with religionists. It's like reason and facts have been thrown out of the window.
Reply 32
Theresa May is the first Briton since Cromwell to effectively declare a dictatorship,
This is an important point. Brexiteers would have us sleepwalk towards right-wing authoritarianism (well, perhaps a slight exaggeration, but it is a time of hyperbole, so what the hell!)

I'm not even sure that Royal Prerogative has ever been used to circumvent Parliament before. All these "We demand democracy and the sovereignty of Parliament" Leave voters should really be calling for the heads of May, Davis et al, on a stake, and carrying the three judges on their shoulders through the streets of London!

That's because, unlike many Remainers, she has accepted the result.
Reply 34
Original post by Foo.mp3
Will of the people ignored (fraud) + sovereignty handed back to a foreign power (treachery) = parliament will fall. Simples
Are you high?
Reply 35
Original post by Foo.mp3
Nope. Why?
You just sound like you are. My mistake.
Reply 36
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Let's not be ridiculous. Even if Brexit were overturned there would not be street riots and revolutions like some histrionic Brexiteers suggest. It's Britain, so there would just be a lot of grumbling and complaining by Brexiteers, but not much else.

People have started riots over a lot less.
Reply 37
Original post by Foo.mp3
How so?
Oh, because what you wrote bore no resemblance to reality. Stuff like that.
Reply 38
Original post by Foo.mp3
1) There is a historic precedent for revolution in circumstances in which the executive/political representatives commit lesser crimes than treason

2) Irrespective of the above, we have, in the 21st century, entered a period of growing uncertainty and instability of numerous types/on multiple levels

3) In case this needs pointing out, I did not indicate a time frame but, rather, that such an act of treason would be seminal in the development of a counter-elite reactionary trend culminating in rebellion
I think my description was not only shorter but easier to understand, but you could also put it like that.
Reply 39
Original post by Foo.mp3
Your prior insinuation concerning psychoactive affectation does not stand if you concur with my contentions, supposing you are not, by now, similarly stoned :hippie:
LOL!
No, I meant that your explanation still sounded like you were high. So, either my simple statement that it sounded like you were high, or your longer explanation, both equally demonstrated that you were high.
Furthermore, your inability to grasp what I was saying is yet further proof.
Bong on! :smokin:

Latest

Trending

Trending