Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a slightly weird situation, I would really like to go to University, but I haven't got any A levels. Its not due to me skipping college, i was suffering from depression and schizophrenia. I've learn to deal with my mental health so I believe I can actually do something with my life now. I've been working part time for about a year and have saved up to build my own custom PC. I never did ICT in high school as a GCSE, but i'm very intrigued and want to do something like a computing course. I've got decent Gcse grades and i've been also helping people with PC problems and fixing, cleaning computers so I have decent knowledge about hardware, however nothing about programming. I really want to do something like this. Is there a course for me even though I don't have any A-Levels? I'm very hard working but anyone can say that. I just want to know whether I have the chance. I'm contemplating to apply this year through UCAS but don't want to be just shot down and put back in to depression. So sooner the better if i can know what I should do. Thanks, anyone who has given there time to read this. what should I do?
    Thank you, Hassan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worried124)
    I have a slightly weird situation, I would really like to go to University, but I haven't got any A levels. Its not due to me skipping college, i was suffering from depression and schizophrenia. I've learn to deal with my mental health so I believe I can actually do something with my life now. I've been working part time for about a year and have saved up to build my own custom PC. I never did ICT in high school as a GCSE, but i'm very intrigued and want to do something like a computing course. I've got decent Gcse grades and i've been also helping people with PC problems and fixing, cleaning computers so I have decent knowledge about hardware, however nothing about programming. I really want to do something like this. Is there a course for me even though I don't have any A-Levels? I'm very hard working but anyone can say that. I just want to know whether I have the chance. I'm contemplating to apply this year through UCAS but don't want to be just shot down and put back in to depression. So sooner the better if i can know what I should do. Thanks, anyone who has given there time to read this. what should I do?
    Thank you, Hassan
    You can do an Access to HE course at college as an alternative to A-levels or some universities offer foundation years for people without level 3 qualifications. You'll need something at level 3 if you want to go straight into the first year of a degree.

A-levels are a bit trickier if you're over 19 as colleges that offer them are few and far between due to funding restrictions. It usually involves self-studying and sitting the exams privately.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    You can do an Access to HE course at college as an alternative to A-levels or some universities offer foundation years for people without level 3 qualifications. You'll need something at level 3 if you want to go straight into the first year of a degree.

A-levels are a bit trickier if you're over 19 as colleges that offer them are few and far between due to funding restrictions. It usually involves self-studying and sitting the exams privately.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx
    Thank you, I might look into foundation courses at some universities. Thanks for the help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 4, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Oxford Brookes University
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. Oxford Brookes University
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  3. Oxford Brookes University
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.