Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "Blood Wedding" - Frederico Garcia Lorca
    "Perfume" - Patrick Suskind
    "Thérèse Requin" - Emile Zola

We were given these three books to read over summer before we start IB1... obviously I'm going to read them, but do you think that it would be advisable to study them also? Instead of waiting for lessons to start, should I start my own research and analysis etc.? I've heard so many stories about the insane workload; I think that it woud be sensible to start any work that i can asap (especially for English which i find difficult and take forever to finish essays)

ReputationRep:
    You want a headstart for Therese Raquin?

I have one word for you, that you should LODGE in your brain, study it like you're a med student studying a human body, and incorporate it into any literary ideas you formulate as you read the book as often as possible.

NATURALISM.

I haven't read the other two books, but there is a lot in TR. In fact, as I write this, I'm finishing my World Lit 2 Outline for a commentary on Therese Raquin. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You haven't started IB1 yet and already have a workload dumped on you? Man, your school is evil.

I'm reading Perfume right now (not for any class or anything, for fun). IMO it's a really interesting book. Twisted, but chilling. The middle kind of drags a little so if you find yourself a bit bored in Part II don't worry. After you read it, see the movie for it. I've heard it's good, follows the book well and it might help you visualise stuff a bit.

As in terms of studying, if you really want to be prepared, I guess just write down any analysis you find as you read the books. If these are your WL books, there should be a similarity in themes in them, see if you can catch that.

And see if Sparknotes exist for these books, that could come in helpful as well.

ReputationRep:
    dont write essays, but try to think critically in your head, compare them once you've read them and identify the major themes in common but also the different ways in which these are treated.
    if you can get hold of commentaries for the books (sparknotes or something published) do so!!!!!!!!!!!!! that will help if you're not too great at getting the initial ideas/analysis

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.