Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well, i dont pay tax, and ive been getting free healthcare for 18 years.

Most of the people on this forum are probably in a similar position to me aswell, does that mean we are not entitled to healthcare??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rufnek2k6)
    well, i dont pay tax, and ive been getting free healthcare for 18 years.

Most of the people on this forum are probably in a similar position to me aswell, does that mean we are not entitled to healthcare??
    can we assume you are, or are entitled to be, a british citizen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    more liberal ****e.

again, vital information omitted.

those who LEGALLY live here should be entitled. not any ******* who came half way across the world in the belly of a cargo ship
    Omitted by who? Asylum and illegal immigration aren't the same thing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    can we assume you are, or are entitled to be, a british citizen?
    Who's "entitled" to be a British citizen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    Who's "entitled" to be a British citizen?
    read the criteria when you're applying for your passport.

ReputationRep:
    read the criteria when you're applying for your passport.
    Asylum seekers are included, so what's your argument here?

ReputationRep:
    yes i am a british citizen, but that shouldnt mean I should be entitled to free healthcare but other people shouldnt. In my eyes, the world is ONE BIG COUNTRY, we should really look out for each other. Animals have more compassion for each other than humans.

ReputationRep:
    more liberal ****e.

again, vital information omitted.

those who LEGALLY live here should be entitled. not any ******* who came half way across the world in the belly of a cargo ship
    Gosh, you're really quite vile aren't you? If someone has been legally granted citizenship in the UK, why aren't they entitled to healthcare the same as anyone else with legal citizenship? You didn't choose to be born in England did you, so why are you more entitled than someone who wasn't but has moved here?

ReputationRep:
    Asylum seekers are included, so what's your argument here?
    you're saying any and all asylum seekers get a passport when they turn up?

ReputationRep:
    you're saying any and all asylum seekers get a passport when they turn up?
    I don't think I said that anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennybean)
    Gosh, you're really quite vile aren't you? If someone has been legally granted citizenship in the UK, why aren't they entitled to healthcare the same as anyone else with legal citizenship? You didn't choose to be born in England did you, so why are you more entitled than someone who wasn't but has moved here?
    i was born in england? news to me.

people who actually are british citizens and especially those paying taxes for the NHS should be the ones who get the treatment. illegal immigrants, asylum seekers (remember they aren't legally here yet) and the like shouldn't. its a basic and simple statement which seems too difficult for some people.

but sure no bother. have any tom **** or harry rocking up to leech off the system. good old british tax payer is happy to foot the bill!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I said that anywhere.
    clarify your statements then.

ReputationRep:
    clarify your statements then.
    They're perfectly clear to me. You ask me and don't guess, if you want to know my meaning.

ReputationRep:
    I think the issue here is not who gets our precious healthcare (for what its worth), but in fact, who is aloud to become a British citizen.

ReputationRep:
    i was born in england? news to me.

people who actually are british citizens and especially those paying taxes for the NHS should be the ones who get the treatment. illegal immigrants, asylum seekers (remember they aren't legally here yet) and the like shouldn't. its a basic and simple statement which seems too difficult for some people.

but sure no bother. have any tom **** or harry rocking up to leech off the system. good old british tax payer is happy to foot the bill!
    Fine if you weren't born in England then make it a generic you and stop being so pedantic and ridiculous, you sound like a spoilt child! Firstly nobody has mentioned illegal immigrants save you so that's irrelevant. Secondly if someone is shortly to be granted British citizenship and start paying tax towards the NHS, why does it make such an enormous difference if we extend a little kindness towards them just before the event happens? Particularly if they are in serious need of healthcare. The British taxpayer is not "footing the bill", taxes don't increase just because some asylum seekers use the NHS, you just pay your tax and then it goes into a pot. Surely it then sensibly follows that if in your whole life you never get ill and go to hospital, other people (actual proper British citizens!!) are using the NHS all the time and you're "footing the bill" then aren't you? Why be so nationalist about it, if you were just plain selfish I'd at least see the logic...

ReputationRep:
    illegal immigrants, asylum seekers (remember they aren't legally here yet) and the like shouldn't. its a basic and simple statement which seems too difficult for some people.
    What do you mean "asylum seekers aren't here legally yet"?

I'm not sure that all asylum seekers come to "leech of the system".

ReputationRep:
    A couple of points - one of the aims of Public Healthcare is to protect the wider community. Asylum seekers are here whether you like it or not. They also have a significantly higher chance of carrying TB (this is particularly a big worry in the NHS atm), HIV etc so identifying and treating them prevents these afflicitions from spreading to the 'native' population.

Also just how many people here 'sponge' off the NHS having never paid taxes in their lifes?(VAT doesn't count) I'm guessing very few. Does that mean you shouldn't be entitled to NHS treatment whilst someone else foots the bill?

ReputationRep:
    Are we not better of integrating people who come into the country with virtually nothing, as quickly as possible, rather than having a heap of refugees growing in some corner of the UK?

ReputationRep:
    not hard to see why the NHS is in meltdown with the "we can look after everyone" sentiments running rampant around here. the idealism of youth.

one day you'll see the realistic and right path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    A couple of points - one of the aims of Public Healthcare is to protect the wider community. Asylum seekers are here whether you like it or not. They also have a significantly higher chance of carrying TB (this is particularly a big worry in the NHS atm), HIV etc so identifying and treating them prevents these afflicitions from spreading to the 'native' population.

Also just how many people here 'sponge' off the NHS having never paid taxes in their lifes?(VAT doesn't count) I'm guessing very few. Does that mean you shouldn't be entitled to NHS treatment whilst someone else foots the bill?
    Yes, you're right there. Public health isn't simply a reward for winning a birth lottery. It's an essential part of social policy in general.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.