Turn on thread page Beta

My friend lied about being an accountant for 8 years! watch

• View Poll Results: Should I stay friend with friend who lied about being an accountant for 8 years
    Yes, stay friends.
    56.00%
    No, don't stay friend.
    44.00%

ReputationRep:
    Met my friend at University on freshers week. She said she was studying Accountancy. We would regularly meet up at the University canteen and I would wait for her outside the University lecture hall she said she was in. After three years she said she had graduated but did not go to her Graduation. I then started a Masters in Social Work. She too started a MBA in Accountancy and we continued to meet at Uni. I did think something was a little odd as she met a guy, got married, was in Pakistan for a year and had a child all while supposedly completely an undergrad degree and Masters. But she told me she completed all her Uni work long distance. I thought well they must have allowed her to do that then, and in my undergrad I never went to lectures so I dismiss my doubts.

She then went onto income support. I have since been applying for jobs as a Social Worker and had two interviews so far. Things are looking good. I told her to apply for account jobs as it's pretty rubbish being on income support. I met her parents last week and asked them how they were. They said they wish she would go to University as she has no qualifications. I looked blankly at them. I said has she not been to University.

They said no, she has never even applied for University. When I explained I had met her on Freshers week they told me she had been at Uni that day for an Open Day to see if she wanted to go there but had never applied for University.

She has been on income support since 2 years after meeting me. She is now on jobseekers allowance.

All those days outside the lecture theatre, all those meals in the canteen. She had just turned up to meet me to make it look like she was studying there. She doesn't have any kind of degree and certainly not one in Accountancy. I spoke to my friend who is a (genuine) accountant and he said they don't do Masters in Accountancy so she hadn't done any proper research. He said she probably chose Accountancy as people never ask further questions about Accountancy as people find it a boring job.

She has since admitted that she made it all up.

Could/would you stay friends after this? I don't think she has lied about much else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mezza362)
    Met my friend at University on freshers week. She said she was studying Accountancy. We would regularly meet up at the University canteen and I would wait for her outside the University lecture hall she said she was in. After three years she said she had graduated but did not go to her Graduation. I then started a Masters in Social Work. She too started a MBA in Accountancy and we continued to meet at Uni. I did think something was a little odd as she met a guy, got married, was in Pakistan for a year and had a child all while supposedly completely an undergrad degree and Masters. But she told me she completed all her Uni work long distance. I thought well they must have allowed her to do that then, and in my undergrad I never went to lectures so I dismiss my doubts.

She then went onto income support. I have since been applying for jobs as a Social Worker and had two interviews so far. Things are looking good. I told her to apply for account jobs as it's pretty rubbish being on income support. I met her parents last week and asked them how they were. They said they wish she would go to University as she has no qualifications. I looked blankly at them. I said has she not been to University.

They said no, she has never even applied for University. When I explained I had met her on Freshers week they told me she had been at Uni that day for an Open Day to see if she wanted to go there but had never applied for University.

She has been on income support since 2 years after meeting me. She is now on jobseekers allowance.

All those days outside the lecture theatre, all those meals in the canteen. She had just turned up to meet me to make it look like she was studying there. She doesn't have any kind of degree and certainly not one in Accountancy. I spoke to my friend who is a (genuine) accountant and he said they don't do Masters in Accountancy so she hadn't done any proper research. He said she probably chose Accountancy as people never ask further questions about Accountancy as people find it a boring job.

Could/would you stay friends after this? I don't think she has lied about much else.
    Did you ask her what's the point of lying? Or what didn't you get qualifications and apply to university?
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Goodness me… that's tough. Looks like she didn't want you to know she wasn't studying anything and a small, elaborate lie has turned into this… it's a rather sizeable lie now. I don't know, to be honest. I really don't.

ReputationRep:
    She said when she met her Husband (they split months after marrying) he became everything and she didn't bother to apply. She then said when she became a single Mum she didn't have the motivation to apply as she found it hard with her Daughter.

She lied as she wanted to make a friend desperately, and wanted to fit it. She thought I might not want to be friends with someone who didn't have qualifications.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    She said when she met her Husband (they split months after marrying) he became everything and she didn't bother to apply. She then said when she became a single Mum she didn't have the motivation to apply as she found it hard with her Daughter.

She lied as she wanted to make a friend desperately, and wanted to fit it. She thought I might not want to be friends with someone who didn't have qualifications.
    Which is quite sad and desperate in a way. I'd be a little insulted that she thought I wouldn't be friends with someone that didn't have qualifications and I'd be quite hurt at her lying for so long. I really don't know how I'd handle this to be honest OP. How have you taken it so far?

ReputationRep:
    I am cringing for her more than anything else. Just feel really sorry for her. But I don't know if I can stay friends more for her sake than anything. We would both have an awkwardness now.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Put a poll up. I would find it a bit bizarre, but I would talk to them and find out why. If as a result of the talk I found her to be untrustworthy, then i'd have doubts as to whether to carry it on.

Has she given you cause to doubt her friendship for other reasons? If I found out it was just embarrassment/fear and wanting to keep on with a friendhsip so she decided she needed to provide a cover, then I'd probably be ok as long as she promised to be truthful from then on. Its a judgement call on whether she is still friend material putting aside the charade for a moment.

If she was lost, then I would support and guide her to make the most of herself and find soemthing she wanted to do. We all start somewhere. Its like those men in japan who get made redundant and pretend to go to work every day because they cnat face up to the shame and fear of telling their family.

ReputationRep:
    I've created a poll. It's really hard. There are other issues too. She constantly puts me down in a subtle way. If someone tells me I'm pretty she will make a backhanded compliment afterwards. She does seem jealous of me and very, very lacking in self esteem.

She has always said she has a boyfriend she met at University. I now know they met online and have never even met.

ReputationRep:
    This made me laugh so much. If your friend had lied about being a fighter pilot, or lead trauma surgeon for Médcins sans Frontières, or work for the UN/WHO then I might get it. But lying about being an Accountant: :rofl: why in earth would she do that!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think she lied about being an accountant because she knew we would not question her further. If she said she was a Doctor that would be so easily found out when it was clear she had no medical knowledge. Also, my boyfriend was a surgeon at the time I knew her (we've split up now) so she could never pull that off.

ReputationRep:
    I think she lied about being an accountant because she knew we would not question her further. If she said she was a Doctor that would be so easily found out when it was clear she had no medical knowledge. Also, my boyfriend was a surgeon at the time I knew her (we've split up now) so she could never pull that off.
    You dumped a surgeon? Damn there goes my hypergamy theories.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I've created a poll. It's really hard. There are other issues too. She constantly puts me down in a subtle way. If someone tells me I'm pretty she will make a backhanded compliment afterwards. She does seem jealous of me and very, very lacking in self esteem.

She has always said she has a boyfriend she met at University. I now know they met online and have never even met.
    For me its not about what qualifications, but whether they cna actually be a friend.

That starts with being trustworthy and reliable.

Ps was a very entertaining OP

ReputationRep:
    I know its not the main point but you can do a masters in accounting, my ex did and was then exempt from some of the professional exams they have to do when training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    You dumped a surgeon? Damn there goes my hypergamy theories.
    I've dumped 3 doctors in my life :-)

Most recently a Consultant neurosurgeon.

ReputationRep:
    I've dumped 3 doctors in my life :-)

Most recently a Consultant neurosurgeon.
    You like to date old men , cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aidry)
    I know its not the main point but you can do a masters in accounting, my ex did and was then exempt from some of the professional exams they have to do when training
    Maybe he lied too? I'm kidding you can do a masters in accounting.
    But OP, your friend who was an (accountant) didn't realise you could take masters in accountancy. Just shows how well informed he was

ReputationRep:
    He knew you could. What he meant is if she had done and undergrad in accountancy she wouldn't then be able to do a Masters as she would be qualified already.

ReputationRep:
    Dnno about you, but anyone who has ever lied to me on that scale I have not remained friends with. It is not a personality trait I desire to have in a friend.

a girl comes into uni every day and pretends to be a student there and uses all of the facilities like the canteen etc and for 3 years it never occurs to you that you have no mutual friends or that you've never spoken to anyone else on the accountancy course and never seen her with any other student....... this is just creepy

ReputationRep:
    He knew you could. What he meant is if she had done and undergrad in accountancy she wouldn't then be able to do a Masters as she would be qualified already.
    no a masters means your exempt from some professional exams, I know the masters my ex did was very hard to get into and it was very rare for anyone who hadn't undertaken an undergrad in accounting to get in

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.