Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently 27 and starting to explore the possibility of studying medicine. I have a BA already so I know it isn't as straightforward as getting tuition fee loans and maintenance loans. However, I'm really struggling to work out what the options actually are - I seem to find information that contradicts itself, possibly because things get out of date fast.

As a side note, I need to get a Chemistry A Level, so the earliest I'd be looking at entry is 18/19. I know that means that any current advice might not be relevant by then, but I want to basically get a rough idea of what might be possible so I can gauge if it's actually going to be doable for me!

From what I can gather, I can get loans from Student Finance for the fifth year of the course.

I'm seeing conflicting information about whether there are maintenance loans available before that. If there are, I can't work out if they are means-tested or not, and what that would be based on. I live with my partner (and imagine I would be doing so in the future as well), but I think it would be a massive ask for him to support me for five years! I'm also hoping I would be able to do some freelance work, but it's hard to foresee how easy that would be to secure and whether there would be time to do it alongside the degree - either way it wouldn't cover costs.

Beyond Student Finance, I haven't the foggiest. I don't know if other loans are viable or if they're just a route into a lifetime of debt.

Would love any help or thoughts!
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ongels)
    I'm currently 27 and starting to explore the possibility of studying medicine. I have a BA already so I know it isn't as straightforward as getting tuition fee loans and maintenance loans. However, I'm really struggling to work out what the options actually are - I seem to find information that contradicts itself, possibly because things get out of date fast.

As a side note, I need to get a Chemistry A Level, so the earliest I'd be looking at entry is 18/19. I know that means that any current advice might not be relevant by then, but I want to basically get a rough idea of what might be possible so I can gauge if it's actually going to be doable for me!

From what I can gather, I can get loans from Student Finance for the fifth year of the course.

I'm seeing conflicting information about whether there are maintenance loans available before that. If there are, I can't work out if they are means-tested or not, and what that would be based on. I live with my partner (and imagine I would be doing so in the future as well), but I think it would be a massive ask for him to support me for five years! I'm also hoping I would be able to do some freelance work, but it's hard to foresee how easy that would be to secure and whether there would be time to do it alongside the degree - either way it wouldn't cover costs.

Beyond Student Finance, I haven't the foggiest. I don't know if other loans are viable or if they're just a route into a lifetime of debt.

placing post here to remind me so I can reply tomorrow with a 100% accurate answer
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ongels)

Ok so I have some info to give you.

The 17/18 SFE regulations state that any course that's is classed as an "NHS course" will be exempt from previous study and will receive full funding such as full tuition fee and means tested loan.
    Medicine was only NHS in the 5th year and there's no other information as to wether medicine will be classed as NHS for 17/18.
    I would probably say wait a few more months and more info should come out.

So basically, if medicine is classed as NHS then you will be able to study even if you've got a degree previously.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.