Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok I don't if this is the right place to post this. And I know this might come out as a really silly text, but I just need to have some opinions on this either way. First I'm just going to let you know that I am currently in my first year in University (I am international) and I live on campus with four other people whom I share a kitchen with. So yesterday I decided to make some food using the oven, and since I thought it were supposed to be in there for a while, I put on an alarm and went to my room. And when the alarm went off, I went back into the kitchen to check on the food, only to see two of my flatmates busy trying to get out the smoke in the kitchen. My food had badly burned and it smelled awful. I apologized a dozen times while I had to scrape out the burnt food and help get the smoke out. I could see that the other were kind of mad, and I don't blame them. So after I got everything cleaned up, I went back to my room and ordered some food instead.

So now my problem is that I am too afraid to cook again. I am afraid of burning my food again and make my flatmates mad. I feel like they all think that I am stupid and don't know the first thing about food. That if I try to make some again, and one of them happen to come into the kitchen, they will think stuff like "this won't go well" and get frustrated because they think I will ruin everything again. I am probably overreacting, but I am actually very afraid to cook again, I don't even have any other "friends" than the people who live in my building, and I feel like my flatmates will tell about the accident to all of them which will cause them to not wanting to hang out with me anymore.. Could this happen?

ReputationRep:
    You're being a bit catastrophic. I think next time you cook you'd be better off staying in the kitchen the entire time rather than going back to your room - you won't have that problem again then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    You're being a bit catastrophic. I think next time you cook you'd be better off staying in the kitchen the entire time rather than going back to your room - you won't have that problem again then.
    That's true, pal.
    First time we've agreed on something.

ReputationRep:
    You are being silly. Everyone makes mistakes. Cooking together is a great way to make friends, too.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're worrying too much, you won't be the only person to burn something at uni. Best thing to do is to cook something asap to prove to your flat mates that you can do it. They may offer to help, but see that as an opportunity to get to know them a bit better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Exactly. Sensible thing to do is to just keep an eye on what you're cooking? I don't understand why it's difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Get your laptop/a book and stay in the kitchen while it cooks. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Make sure to stay in the kitchen next time. You can then monitor the food and see how much its cooked. You'll reduce the risk of it burning then

But don't be discouraged by this, everyone makes mistakes and if they say they don't, they're lying. Your flatmates won't think that, they'll be supportive and try to help out

So go and cook to your hearts content
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Just make sure you stay in the kitchen while you're cooking, and keep an eye on it. I highly doubt they'll go as far as to exclude you just for burning some of your own food
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by MollyPolly97)
    Ok I don't if this is the right place to post this. And I know this might come out as a really silly text, but I just need to have some opinions on this either way. First I'm just going to let you know that I am currently in my first year in University (I am international) and I live on campus with four other people whom I share a kitchen with. So yesterday I decided to make some food using the oven, and since I thought it were supposed to be in there for a while, I put on an alarm and went to my room. And when the alarm went off, I went back into the kitchen to check on the food, only to see two of my flatmates busy trying to get out the smoke in the kitchen. My food had badly burned and it smelled awful. I apologized a dozen times while I had to scrape out the burnt food and help get the smoke out. I could see that the other were kind of mad, and I don't blame them. So after I got everything cleaned up, I went back to my room and ordered some food instead.

So now my problem is that I am too afraid to cook again. I am afraid of burning my food again and make my flatmates mad. I feel like they all think that I am stupid and don't know the first thing about food. That if I try to make some again, and one of them happen to come into the kitchen, they will think stuff like "this won't go well" and get frustrated because they think I will ruin everything again. I am probably overreacting, but I am actually very afraid to cook again, I don't even have any other "friends" than the people who live in my building, and I feel like my flatmates will tell about the accident to all of them which will cause them to not wanting to hang out with me anymore.. Could this happen?
    One of the people in my hall once burned the sofa with a hot pan. There was a little bit of joking for a while yeah, but nothing long term. I think you're worrying too much about it. Eveybody does something they are embarassed about at uni but it doesn't define them and this will not define you.
    The worst thing this can do to you is isolate you and that's what will happen if you keep worrying like this. Try to put yourself out there again and still go into the kitchen and cook (maybe stay in the kitchen just to be safe though). Don't worry about people finding out cos if they do it won't last and people won't judge you completely for it. Your friends will still be your friends even if you've burned some food. If they ditched you for somehing like that they were never real friends anyway.

Is there any chance you might me generally under stress or feelig low at the moment? That might explain why you're getting so worked up abaout this. I know when I was having problems i'd make huge deals out of anything. Remember if you are struggling at all you can always visit student support, a counselor or a doctor. It's really common to have some problems at uni and if you do it's best to go get some help rather than trying to bottle it up and causing even more strain for yourself

ReputationRep:
    Lol, why would you whine and panic over it, surely you've learnt your lesson?

It was either, be more careful when timing the alarm, or it was don't rely on the recommended cooking times and keep checking on your food whilst it's cooking.

ReputationRep:
    **** happens, we've all done it. Just laugh it off and carry on as normal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.