Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in my first year of Computer science at University and everyone I've met so far says first year is easy. However I am kind of struggling. I like programming and I am learning quite well.

However, what I do is go to lectures during the day, come home and go over my lectures and make notes because I can't make notes during lectures - they're just too fast! Each one hour lecture takes me around 2 hours to fully understand and make notes.

Now that we're over a month into uni, I am starting to get pieces of coursework. How do I still go over my lectures and do my coursework? It takes me hours and I have no time to myself and people around me say I'm working too much and should have fun as well since it's uni.

Lastly, I have exams in the summer, so any tips on how to remember all the information I'm learning so I can pass my exams in summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost10Bxl)
    It takes me hours and I have no time to myself and people around me say I'm working too much and should have fun as well since it's uni.
    You need to create a schedule of when you'll do work and when you wont, making sure that you stick to it. If you wake up early then its a bonus as you'll be able to revise your notes and prepare for the day.

I would say just make sure you complete all of the work and read over your notes multiple times so that you understand them. You must make notes during the lectures, surely they cant be talking that fast. Listen carefully and jot things down that you'll remember easily.

For example, if the lecturer talks about algorithms and you don't know something within that area, write it down. It doesn't have to be the whole paragraph that they said, just small areas that would remind you of what you learnt or what something means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuchaynz)
    You need to create a schedule of when you'll do work and when you wont, making sure that you stick to it. If you wake up early then its a bonus as you'll be able to revise your notes and prepare for the day.

I would say just make sure you complete all of the work and read over your notes multiple times so that you understand them. You must make notes during the lectures, surely they cant be talking that fast. Listen carefully and jot things down that you'll remember easily.

For example, if the lecturer talks about algorithms and you don't know something within that area, write it down. It doesn't have to be the whole paragraph that they said, just small areas that would remind you of what you learnt or what something means.
    They do go very fast, by the time I'm writing one point, they are on the next point and I don't get to listen properly. Also, how should you revise your notes to remember them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost10Bxl)
    Each one hour lecture takes me around 2 hours to fully understand and make notes.
    You need to work smart, not hard. A one hour lecture does not contain one hour of information. It probably only contains 5 minutes of key points. It is therefore necessary to note down the key points rather than an hour of rambling about the key points. So your solution is to find a way to be more efficient rather than wondering how you are going to find more hours in the day.

Oh - and don't worry about how everyone else is finding it. They will no doubt be talking a talk that bears no relation to their actual understanding.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.