Turn on thread page Beta

I put lots of effort into uni work but still get low marks. Can anyone help watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the second year of uni now, so my grades count towards my degree classification. I try to put all my effort into studying. I had 4 weeks to prepare for a practical exam and gave up work (it's a 0 hour contract) and my sport for a week to focus on it. I still only came out with 50%. One of the learning outcomes I got a first in and some I failed. I read feedback from past exams and assignments and correct it but there's always something I get pulled up on/lose marks for. We don't get academic supervision at this uni. Some people don't seem to attend many lectures/tutorials yet still get high marks. I've done a previous degree (though it was a diploma I topped up to ordinary so it was just pass or fail) so in my opinion should be getting the higher marks.

Just wanted advice as it has started to really frustrate and annoy me. What annoys me most is that I don't feel Im getting rewarded for all the effort I put in. I know that you don't get marked on effort but you know what I mean.

I just wanted advice maybe off those of you who get high marks lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigofox)
    I'm in the second year of uni now, so my grades count towards my degree classification. I try to put all my effort into studying. I had 4 weeks to prepare for a practical exam and gave up work (it's a 0 hour contract) and my sport for a week to focus on it. I still only came out with 50%. One of the learning outcomes I got a first in and some I failed. I read feedback from past exams and assignments and correct it but there's always something I get pulled up on/lose marks for. We don't get academic supervision at this uni. Some people don't seem to attend many lectures/tutorials yet still get high marks. I've done a previous degree (though it was a diploma I topped up to ordinary so it was just pass or fail) so in my opinion should be getting the higher marks.

Just wanted advice as it has started to really frustrate and annoy me. What annoys me most is that I don't feel Im getting rewarded for all the effort I put in. I know that you don't get marked on effort but you know what I mean.

Suck off the examiner that's how you can get full marks, trust me it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eoiunfoiuefbef)
    Suck off the examiner that's how you can get full marks, trust me it works.
    Idiot. Did you miss your morning feed?

ReputationRep:

Well, if you're getting first class marks in some LOs, then you must be doing something right. What ones did you fail on? What were the comments? It's difficult to help you unless we can tell what exactly might be going wrong

ReputationRep:
    • (Original post by Reality Check)
      Idiot. Did you miss your morning feed?
    • Yes I think I did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Well, if you're getting first class marks in some LOs, then you must be doing something right. What ones did you fail on? What were the comments? It's difficult to help you unless we can tell what exactly might be going wrong
    Well the last exam was an assignment, I did well on referencing, structure and academic style. Though I only got 2.1 for referencing even though I thought it was perfect, used as many sources as I could and didn't see any mistakes in citations etc. The feedback just said 'excellent referencing and use of literature'. I failed on clinical reasoning (it's a healthcare degree) basically she said I'd chosen to evaluate something too complicated (which I struggled to explain) rather than keeping it simple, but the assignment said choose a patient problem so I chose a problem listed in the case. However she said I should have looked at the problems and used common sense to work out the basic problems the patient couldn't do first and then write about them. She said that's what the assignment was testing but I thought I had to stick to the question I've problems listed. It was only my referencing and structure that pulled the marks up to a 49 %. I thought I'd put in lots of critique too but all I got back was 'some attempt at critique'.

For the last exam (it was a practical) I got a first in caring for the patient care/communication with them but feedback said that I lacked knowledge in a certain pathology and struggled to pick out patient problems and relate them to the disease. I think it's probably common sense things that let me down. The thing is we had many diseases and treatments to learn and it was pot luck which one we got in the exam so I found I had to learn the basics of everything and didn't ha e time to go into much depth for all of them. Maybe I'm just a slow worker.

Your subject obviously isnt one of your strengths. You may lack intrinsic intellect so maybe try something that doesnt require so much brains. Try developing a practical skill such as an operator of industrial machinery, welding or involvement in sport.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.