Thinking of opening a small photography/video studio

Watch this thread
Jedders
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I graduated in 2014 and this year I started freelancing full time. I'm disappointed in my earnings though, if I can manage to get a few more good gigs lined up then by April(the new financial year) I would have made 17k this year(April 2016 - april 2017). Pretty disappointed as I originally projected myself to be able to make around 20k - 22k this year if my earnings stayed consistent.

So I'm looking at other ways I can make money and I had the idea to open a photography/video studio and renting it out as well as using it to get more of my own clients.

I already have a lot of my own lighting equipment, so I won't have to spend a huge amount of money on photography gear to get it running, maybe about a 1k worth of additional gear and I'll be good to go I think.

Where is a good place to look for locations I can rent out? I went on gumtree but I'm not exactly sure what to type in, I searched "Office/studio space" and I'm not quite getting the results I need. I just need an empty room/flat that I can convert into a small studio.

Any other advice would be great as well, apart from being self employed I've never really had a physical business like this before. I've been to lots of small photography studios myself and spoken to the owners, some of the places had really cheap equipment, look a bit dingy and aren't marketed well and yet they make money, so I really feel like this could be achievable!
LamantChenille
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Bumping, as it's really not my field of expertise!

Maybe if Gumtree isn't yielding any results look on websites like Spareroom, or Zoopla for one room rentals?
Maybe even try Facebook pages for your city?
Hope you find something soon
Rainingpopcorn5
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jedders)
I graduated in 2014 and this year I started freelancing full time. I'm disappointed in my earnings though, if I can manage to get a few more good gigs lined up then by April(the new financial year) I would have made 17k this year(April 2016 - april 2017). Pretty disappointed as I originally projected myself to be able to make around 20k - 22k this year if my earnings stayed consistent.

So I'm looking at other ways I can make money and I had the idea to open a photography/video studio and renting it out as well as using it to get more of my own clients.

I already have a lot of my own lighting equipment, so I won't have to spend a huge amount of money on photography gear to get it running, maybe about a 1k worth of additional gear and I'll be good to go I think.

Where is a good place to look for locations I can rent out? I went on gumtree but I'm not exactly sure what to type in, I searched "Office/studio space" and I'm not quite getting the results I need. I just need an empty room/flat that I can convert into a small studio.

Any other advice would be great as well, apart from being self employed I've never really had a physical business like this before. I've been to lots of small photography studios myself and spoken to the owners, some of the places had really cheap equipment, look a bit dingy and aren't marketed well and yet they make money, so I really feel like this could be achievable!
Hey, I'm not really good at financial advice. But have you been to your local estate agents? Asked them for any commercial properties? It would be nice if you could go set up your own little blog/portfolio. Start to create your own little buisness cards and put them on billboards around where you live with some of your sample photos.

Perhaps ask a few friends you know to take some. I know this doesn't have anything to due with photography but the bag buisness Claireabella (or however you spell it) I think started with the creator taking homemade bags for herself into work, people wanting what bags she had and she went from there.

You might have already done this but trying to help. Get yourself in the yellow pages and maybe ask local wedding/party buisnesses for package deals with photographers. Think outside the box.

Create an etsy profile and maybe combine with graphic designers.

Good luck darlin. I know how hard it is.
yeezyyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
fml i thought this was casting couch
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (117)
68.82%
No (34)
20%
I didn't use it to prepare (19)
11.18%

Watched Threads