Turn on thread page Beta

I need help approaching these types of questions because it comes up A LOT

the equation 2x² - 3x - (k+1) = 0, where k is a constant

Q) find the set of possible values for k (4) k has no real roots

RDKGames

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming the question asks for the values of k such that the equation has distinct real roots, or equal roots.
    If so just consider the discriminant, remember  b^2-4ac>0 for distinct real roots and  b^2-4ac=0 for equal roots (single root you may think of it as). In this case, a=2, b=-3 and  c=-(k+1) .
    If this isn't the question then please say what the actual wording of the full question was.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samantham999)
    I need help approaching these types of questions because it comes up A LOT

the equation 2x² - 3x - (k+1) = 0, where k is a constant

Q) find the set of possible values for k (4)
    As said above, we can't really determine any restrictions on k until we have more information about the roots.

If 2 distinct real roots; then b^2-4ac>0

If 1 repeated real root; then b^2-4ac=0

If 0 real roots; then b^2-4ac<0

where a=2, b=-3, c=-(k+1)

(Original post by B_9710)
    I'm assuming the question asks for the values of k such that the equation has distinct real roots, or equal roots.
    If so just consider the discriminant, remember  b^2-4ac>0 for distinct real roots and  b^2-4ac=0 for equal roots (single root you may think of it as). In this case, a=2, b=-3 and  c=-(k+1) .
    If this isn't the question then please say what the actual wording of the full question was.
    The question is listed above, to find values of k and it says k has no real roots.

(Original post by RDKGames)
    As said above, we can't really determine any restrictions on k until we have more information about the roots.

Sorry, I forgot to say...k has no real roots so its obviously 0 real roots but i don't really understand the above?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sorry, I forgot to say...k has no real roots so its obviously 0 real roots but i don't really understand the above?
    The value of the discriminant tells us how many real roots there are, and vice versa, the amount of roots tells us conditions which must hold for the discriminant (the one's above). Then we can use it to construct an inequality in terms of k and solve it.

ReputationRep:
    So you're finding the values of k so that the discriminant is strictly less than 0. Do you understand this part? Do you know why this is the case?

yeah i thought to plug them in by labelling a,b and obviously c but how do you leave your answer?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    yeah i thought to plug them in by labelling a,b and obviously c but how do you leave your answer?
    As an inequality with k on one side and everything else on the other. The inequality is the range of values that k can take - as required by the question - in order to have no real roots.

As an inequality with k on one side and everything else on the other. The inequality is the range of values that k can take - as required by the question - in order to have no real roots.
    so i did (-3)² - 4x2-(k+1)

which leaves 9 - 8 + 4k - 4 ?

is this step wrong?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    so i did (-3)² - 4x2-(k+1)

which leaves 9 - 8 + 4k - 4 ?

is this step wrong?
    Yes.

(-3)^2-4(2)[-(k+1)] = 9+4(2)(k+1) = 9+8k+8

Yes.

(-3)^2-4(2)[-(k+1)] = 9+4(2)(k+1) = 9+8k+8
    why is -4x2 = -8 wrong?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    why is -4x2 = -8 wrong?
    That's right, I just don't know where you pulled the "+4k-4" from.

That's right, I just don't know where you pulled the "+4k-4" from.
    silly me. now i got 9+8k-8 BUT, is it +8 because there is a negative sign infront of the bracket like this: -8-(k+1) ?

the answer says 8k < -17

how do you get -17? -9 -8
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    silly me. now i got 9+8k-8 BUT, is it +8 because there is a negative sign infront of the bracket like this: -8-(k+1) ?
    Sort of, it is hard to say from your specific working because you got distributed the negative weirdly, but be careful with the way you write them. The way you represented that would read as "minus 8 take away the quantity of k+1" which is not correct - it should be "minus 8 multiplied by the negative of the quantity k+1" so the negatives cancel and you get left with 8(k+1) hence +8. Just look at my working above.

Sort of, it is hard to say from your specific working because you got distributed the negative weirdly, but be careful with the way you write them. The way you represented that would read as "minus 8 take away the quantity of k+1" which is not correct - it should be "minus 8 multiplied by the negative of the quantity k+1" so the negatives cancel and you get left with 8(k+1) hence +8. Just look at my working above.
    I understand. Thanks so much! yeah, i really need to take care with my negative signs tbh -8-(k+1) because - is infront of the bracket and infront of 8 it cancels because you are multiplying

thanks! so when i get questions like this it will see whether it has real roots or not and then i choose from the formula thing you sent first?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I understand. Thanks so much! yeah, i really need to take care with my negative signs tbh -8-(k+1) because - is infront of the bracket and infront of 8 it cancels because you are multiplying

thanks! so when i get questions like this it will see whether it has real roots or not and then i choose from the formula thing you sent first?
    Essentially, yeah. Though you should probably understand where those specific restrictions come from.

Essentially, yeah. Though you should probably understand where those specific restrictions come from.
    I will check out exam solutions for it thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 4, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.