Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Third year. My project supervisor suggested I do my project on a networked ragdoll because I expressed an interest in physics simulation and networking. I agreed without giving it much thought. I now have to give a presentation and I have no clear idea what I am supposed to do. Asking my supervisor isn't really an option because I missed our group meeting yesterday. I'm a scummy person.

The idea: simulate a ragdoll over a network so that all clients see the same thing. That's all they told me and all I agreed to as the topic of my project. The way I was thinking of doing this is by simulating server-side and updating the clients. This isn't done in games because it's heavy on the network and because it's simulated client-side, clients will often see different ragdoll behaviour.

I'm supposed to tell them how I plan to solve the problem and how I plan to evaluate the solution. But I can't solve the problem! There's a reason no-one simulates ragdolls server-side!

Some ideas:
    • Simulating both client-side and server-side with the server being the authority that updates the clients every half-second or so and evaluating this compared to client-side simulation. This will also be network heavy.
    • Looking at best ragdoll algorithm for being networked. But I don't think using different algorithms will affect network traffic because you're just sending the state of the ragdoll every tick. Also in terms of algorithm efficiency, Featherstone's method is already proven fastest.
    • Simulating server-side but looking at ways of reducing network traffic. No idea how though.

Any input would be hugely appreciated!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 4, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.