Turn on thread page Beta

100% CPU usage when Copying from CD to HD watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, I was copying some files (700mb) from CD to HD. It took about 5 minutes for each one. After four of these, the fifth one took up 100% CPU and the estimated time was 20 mins and is 20 mins everytime I try. Does anyone know what caused it and how to get it back to normal?

At the time, I was doing the windows update, listening to music on WMP but that was while 1-4 were going so I don't know why the fifth one has caused this slowdown...

ReputationRep:
    what were you copying?

ReputationRep:
    A .rar file of a DVD, it was part 5.

ReputationRep:
    maybe it's encrypted, and the computer gets confused when it tries to copy it.

ReputationRep:
    But the other 4 worked and they are all from the same DVD and made with Winrar, so I don't get it...

ReputationRep:
    where are you copying it from/to?

ReputationRep:
    maybe when it copied the first four it had enough ram in the system but after doing it 4 times windows will have allocated memory space (and not removed it), the 5th maybe didnt have enough space so it must save data to the hard drive (this will take forever if it keeps having to access hard drive as opposed to memory). just a suggestion ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knight-Errant)
    Well, I was copying some files (700mb) from CD to HD. It took about 5 minutes for each one. After four of these, the fifth one took up 100% CPU and the estimated time was 20 mins and is 20 mins everytime I try. Does anyone know what caused it and how to get it back to normal?

At the time, I was doing the windows update, listening to music on WMP but that was while 1-4 were going so I don't know why the fifth one has caused this slowdown...
    I think the RAm is filling up as I have had this problem as well. When the RAM is filled up, the processor then has to cope with the entire thing.

ReputationRep:
    that often happens with me when the cd either has a scratch/disk is damaged or there is some data corruption on the disk (especially if it's a CD-R - could be a dodgy burn).

don't know whether that's the case with you but since it only does it with that disk every time you try i'd say it could be likely. This is when you get the big time count thing (i've had many thousands of minutes on some cds!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I think the RAm is filling up as I have had this problem as well. When the RAM is filled up, the processor then has to cope with the entire thing.
    It's called thrashing when the physical RAM is entirely used and pages needed to be swapped in from disk but the victim page that is being swapped out is also needed. It ends up continually going to disk for each page access and so makes the system run like a dog with no legs.

However, I'd propose a possibly different reason for the original problem. A virus scanner. Modern virus scanners tend to be set to scan every file being accessed and most will try to scan inside compressed files, so it'd be trying to uncompress and examine inside a very big rar. Try taking a look at which process is using all the CPU whilst copying it in the task manager.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    The processor still has to process all the data, its where it has to get data from which is why it takes so long.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.