Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right here goes nothing folks. I received grades BBC in my A-levels, and required BBB to get into my first choice course. I still havn't found out if they've accepted me as it displays decision pending.

Now, my insurance choice at Queens has accepted me but I have now decided that I don't want to do that course and would rather go to Scotland instead to do my first choice course at a different uni. Is it possible to phone Queens and tell them I have decided not to take their offer, and then go into clearing after that? If not I'm completely sceeee-rewed.

Need to have piece of mind before heading out tonight you see, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    First find out about the pending decision. It probably means that they are considering accepting you. Maybe try phoning them for more information.

ReputationRep:
    You need to write or fax Queens admission office and asked to be released from them. Wait until you have phoned the Scottish universities and ensured they will offer you a place pending your release from Queens though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I can see a big problem here:

You phone up the uni you want to go to they say they won't confirm you a place without a clearing number, you ask queens to release you, they take ages to do it, in the meantime all the places at the other uni have gone.

Phone up your firm, ask if your in.

If not, is it really essential you go to scotland? You may end up with nothing if your not careful...

ReputationRep:
    See the university I've applied to havn't yet decided if they'll accept me or not, it's pending. Believe me I've phoned umpteen times and they keep telling me a decision hasn't been made.

I'm going to phone Queen's tomorrow and ask them to release me as it's just a course I don't want to do. As for Scotland I'd rather take my chances in getting in there than doing some dope course I don't want to do for four years. There's many other clearing places available in different unis too, so it's not like Scotland's my only other choice. If I'm left with nothing I can re-apply next year, no worries!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Isn't that a big risk to take? Phone scotland first, then phone queens, then phone scotland again. Do it in that order.

ReputationRep:
    If your 1st choice course is at Queen's as well, they may keep you waiting for ages. My friend last year had decision pending on their website for weeks before they finally rejected her. She went into clearing and contacted Dundee about the course she wanted to do (Biomedical Sciences) and was lucky enough to get a place but it meant she only knew where she was going 1 week before the term started although she got university accommodation and now loves it there.
    Get a letter off to queens or a fax as well as phoning them. They ask for it in writing anyway so the sooner you do that the better. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Lush thanks for all this help!

My first choice is at UU so it shouldn't be too bad on that front. I shall get in touch with Queens tomorrow and send them a written request to be released.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget to give a reason in your letter to them. Just say you are certain that you want to study ********** and are no longer interested in studying any other subject or something. And contact the Scottish universities you are interested in. You can contact most of them initially by email via their websites. I do hope UU let you know soon and aren't as slow as QUB. Good luck!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.