Brexiters don't like democracy or the law Watch

This discussion is closed.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Its obvious isn't it.

They don't like Parliment or the law getting in their way of their head long rush back to 1950.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, but they can probably spell 'Parliament' and know that 'headlong' is one word.
BibleMan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
No, but they can probably spell 'Parliament' and know that 'headlong' is one word.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Brexiters love democracy because the British people democratically vote to leave the European Union
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
Brexiters love democracy because the British people democratically vote to leave the European Union
But then it turns out that the Government doesn't have the power to make the changes needed for the UK to leave the EU.

Instead, Parliament must agree to it - since Parliament is supreme. And despite banging on about Parliamentary supremacy, it seems that many Brexiters are suddenly not so keen on it.

They are also not as keen on British law, British judges or the constitution anymore.

This leads me to believe that many Brexiters are either ignorant with regard to the UK political system or didn't actually care about the above at any point.
Maker
Rep:
?
You must had some help from a Remainer.
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
You must had some help from a Remainer.
Making mistakes in grammar when your trying to mock others for this is not impressive.
I assume you meant to say
"You must have had some help from a remainer"

Anyway, the public voted for Brexit, if Parliament vote against that this is not a democratic process, the public would be unable to hold parliament or the government to account.

That is effectively a dictatorship masquerading as a democracy.

If we don't get brexit the next action will be for people to take law into their own hands.

I cannot see this ending well, in that scenario the public either take law into their own hands, or forever surrender to a dictatorship that does not listen to or respect them.

Neither scenario is good.

I think parliament will vote for Brexit though.
mehokay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
But then it turns out that the Government doesn't have the power to make the changes needed for the UK to leave the EU.

Instead, Parliament must agree to it - since Parliament is supreme. And despite banging on about Parliamentary supremacy, it seems that many Brexiters are suddenly not so keen on it.

They are also not as keen on British law, British judges or the constitution anymore.

This leads me to believe that many Brexiters are either ignorant with regard to the UK political system or didn't actually care about the above at any point.
Democracy is when a majority of people are given the right to decide their government and what happens in their country. The EU Referendum was a democratic vote. The majority of people voted leave and that should be respected.

Democracy is not what the law says or what parliament says, it's all about what the people say. Brexiteers are simply angry that their democractic vote isn't being respected by those higher up on the ladder. It isn't a case of not being 'keen on British law', it's the fact that the particular piece of legislation relating to Britain's withdrawal from the EU conflicts with what we understand to be democracy.
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mehokay)
Democracy is when a majority of people are given the right to decide their government and what happens in their country.

Democracy is not what the law says or what parliament says, it's all about what the people say.
A total disregard for our constitution :no:

We live in a Parliamentary democracy - not a direct democracy.

So it is Parliament which holds he power.
ed98
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Parliament have already had their say though. MPs voted 6 to 1 in favour of the European Referendum Act 2015 to allow the people to decide their own future.

They were just arrogant and never expected the public to defy them.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People forget where MPs and parliament gets its power it is from the people, so if they abuse that power people will react angrily.
mehokay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Yes but Parliament are elected by the people and have to act on behalf of the wishes of the electorate. Parliament do not have the right to diseregard the vote.
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We give power to our politicians, it is not their power it is our power. However, we only exercise this power during elections (hence why we say power is returned to the people) - at any other point in time, Parliament is sovereign. Therefore this whole need for Parliament's approval is a legal one, not some political manoeuvring.

Yours -

A Brexiteer.
KimKallstrom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is retarded even for you, OP. And that's saying something.
Maker
Rep:
?
(Original post by KimKallstrom)
This is retarded even for you, OP. And that's saying something.
You are just jealous because I thought of the question first. No one remembers who came second.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Really? You think the low life average Joe Brexiter has a good grasp of the English language?

Hahahahahhaahhahahahaha
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Luke7456)
Making mistakes in grammar when your trying to mock others for this is not impressive.
I assume you meant to say
"You must have had some help from a remainer"

Anyway, the public voted for Brexit, if Parliament vote against that this is not a democratic process, the public would be unable to hold parliament or the government to account.

That is effectively a dictatorship masquerading as a democracy.

If we don't get brexit the next action will be for people to take law into their own hands.

I cannot see this ending well, in that scenario the public either take law into their own hands, or forever surrender to a dictatorship that does not listen to or respect them.

Neither scenario is good.

I think parliament will vote for Brexit though.
It's democracy. MPs are elected to act in the best interest of their constituents, when so many people are unaware of what's in their best interest it's the responsibility of those elected to represent their best interests do what needs to be done.

But as other people have said, it's funny how so many people want British law to be sole and supreme but then when British law isn't what they wanted they change their mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by yudothis)
Really? You think the low life average Joe Brexiter has a good grasp of the English language?

Hahahahahhaahhahahahaha
Lowlife is written as one word, or with a hyphen in the middle
I wouldn't expect no-brainer remainer to know how to spell
yeezyyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Brexiters do not appear to adhere to basic british values if theyre so against this decision because theyre against the rule of law.
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Lowlife is written as one word, or with a hyphen in the middle
I wouldn't expect no-brainer remainer to know how to spell
Same way I wouldn't expect moronic Brexiters to have C's in GCSE maths and English
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%