Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    It's part of my first-year course, although not my main focus (computer science).
    do you do physical modelling, in that case?

ReputationRep:
    Grades permitting.
    Good luck .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    do you do physical modelling, in that case?
    It's not on the first-year course...I'm supposed to study Physics to broaden my first year...I don't think it's supposed to be related to the main subject.

(Original post by Nylex)
    Good luck .
    Thanks. (3 weeks to go now)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. (3 weeks to go now)
    No prob. I applied, but didn't make it past the interviews, hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    No prob. I applied, but didn't make it past the interviews, hehe.
    Having seen the workload for next year, I'd say you were lucky.

ReputationRep:
    Bernoulli's Equation is basically the law of energy conservation applied to incompressible, inviscid flow along a streamline.

Stokes Law for Drag on a Sphere relates the drag coefficient to the Reynolds Number (Re) within the range Re < 1. The Reynolds Number is the ratio of inertial to viscous forces.

ReputationRep:
    Thats nice of you to help Shiny, but that is WAY beyond Alevel. However, if you could explain the concept of laminar and turbulent flow through a tube to me, that would be great! I want to know why one will result in a different velocity...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Thats nice of you to help Shiny, but that is WAY beyond Alevel. However, if you could explain the concept of laminar and turbulent flow through a tube to me, that would be great! I want to know why one will result in a different velocity...
    I presume you are talking about the loss of pressure through a pipe?

Laminar flow - smooth flow, low loss.
    Turbulent flow - likes it sounds is turbulent, lots of eddies and internal mixing, which results in energy dissipation and loss of pressure.

EDIT: Or do you mean differences in velocity profiles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I presume you are talking about the loss of pressure through a pipe?

Laminar flow - smooth flow, low loss.
    Turbulent flow - likes it sounds is turbulent, lots of eddies and internal mixing, which results in energy dissipation and loss of pressure.

EDIT: Or do you mean differences in velocity profiles?
    Velocity profiles.

Ive decided to do a project where I investigate the difference in the viscosity coefficient at different temperatures.

I was just curious for bg info purposes as to how turbulent flow would prevent a stable equilibrium... Its not clear in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Velocity profiles.
    It is pretty much the same reasons as for pressure loss. Turbulent flows have a unsteady velocity components which causes mixing and momentum transfer between fluid layers. Consequently a turbulent velocity profile has a steeper velocity gradient near the pipe wall than a laminar flow where there is little momentum transfer between layers (since there is much less flow instability).

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.