Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My family isn't poor at all, yet as soon as I turn 16 (in Dec) my mum is making me get a part time job (which has nothing to do with what I want to do in the future, a job in a pub won't exactly get me into uni). I'm tired as it is with school at the moment and I've tried to explain to her that it will affect my studies as I'm going to start revising after Christmas. I'm predicted all A* s and she doesn't understand how seriously I take school and I know I won't do as well in my exams if I have to juggle a part time job, never mind having a social life.

She says all my friends have part time jobs but this isn't true and my friends who have jobs only work in their family businesses (one lives in a pub and the other one's dad owns a hairdressing salon). I'm so angry at her because she doesn't understand.

How can i get her to understand?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by chloedelrey)
    My family isn't poor at all, yet as soon as I turn 16 (in Dec) my mum is making me get a part time job (which has nothing to do with what I want to do in the future, a job in a pub won't exactly get me into uni). I'm tired as it is with school at the moment and I've tried to explain to her that it will affect my studies as I'm going to start revising after Christmas. I'm predicted all A* s and she doesn't understand how seriously I take school and I know I won't do as well in my exams if I have to juggle a part time job, never mind having a social life.

She says all my friends have part time jobs but this isn't true and my friends who have jobs only work in their family businesses (one lives in a pub and the other one's dad owns a hairdressing salon). I'm so angry at her because she doesn't understand.

If it's part time, you'd only have to do one or two days a week. You could get away with 4-8 hours. That shouldn't really impact on your studies a lot. Explain your worries about school, but also be aware that 16 is a good time to be getting a job. Sure, working in a pub won't necessarily further a career or get you into uni alone, but it will give you plenty of useful and transferable skills. Not to mention the extra money

ReputationRep:

Good on her.

Getting a part time job is good for your CV, it doesn't matter what the job is or how it relates to your career/uni choices. You need to get your foot on the career ladder asap, because work experience is what employers care about, not just your grades - your degree alone won't cut it. Customer service skills from your role will be useful for ANY job later on.
    Your mother is giving you a beneficial opportunity, take it!! You'll regret it later if you don't.
    Oh and regarding GCSE's it doesn't matter if you get all A*s, no one looks at GCSE's after A Levels, as long as you do reasonably alright, it will be fine in the long run.

You have the opportunity to put something on your CV, I say take it!!!!

Edit: Oh and with your own money, you can buy your own stuff, and your mother can't say **** because it's not her money :P

ReputationRep:

good on her most of my friends parents and my clients are doing the same thing
    I mean some of these guys are multi-millionaires (one of my clients his two children are 21 and 15 he spent close to £150,000 on them for presents and yet his daughter is getting a part time job and his son works full time)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Don't be angry at your mother, she is doing what is best for you and is absolutely right in telling you to get a part time job (you will see why if you don't take her advice).

Have you seen the same amount of threads graduates created (to death!) on here complaining how they can't find a job because they don't have work experience?
    This is what your mother is trying to point out. She doesn't want you to be those people, struggling to get your foot in the door and not getting what you want.
    Also work experience is beneficial as it shows on your CV to employers that you are motivated and determined to get what you want; they also look for skills such as excellent time management, confidence and organisation; even your personality (personal qualities) other just purely at your qualifications as they are and should NOT be everything when getting a job. Almost everyone has a degree nowadays and you need to unique to get out there and get your first graduate job.

Even if you do get a great 2.1 or a First at university, it is still not enough for you to get a job. There are a few graduates who may have work experience, making the graduate job market extremely fierce and you need to stand out from the crowd.
    I know a lot of graduates who have a 2.1 and even a First class degree who still haven't found a job yet even after 1-3 years after graduation, mostly because they've never worked in their life - that is how bad things are.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should get a job although it is slightly unfair of your mum to force it on you - but it won't take up that much time and if you are predicted all a*s then you are obviously smart enough to manage taking 8 hours out of your week to earn a little money and experience. Maybe you could look for a job in an area that would interest you more, instead of a pub?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I think this is a great idea, although maybe look for something like tutoring instead if you don't want to work in a pub. But trust me, in the long run, this is really going to help you out. I know someone who applied for a job in the City and they were impressed that he had worked since a young age (including in a pub), because it shows that you are a well-rounded and hard working person. Eight hours isn't much. I did that during my A-Level exams and came out with good grades, although I didn't work in the revision period beforehand. It will help you learn to balance your time as well. I was motivated enough to get myself three jobs in the summer, and it took about 30 applications to get those, so be thankful that your Mum has secured this for you. I really enjoyed working, and it is a great break from studying. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I wish I had got a job at 16 rather than 18. You can save up so much by the time you go to uni and you get some experience to put on your CV. Don't be so harsh on her. You can easily juggle school and work considering it's only a few hours per week.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Loopy91)
    Good on her.

Getting a part time job is good for your CV, it doesn't matter what the job is or how it relates to your career/uni choices. You need to get your foot on the career ladder asap, because work experience is what employers care about, not just your grades - your degree alone won't cut it. Customer service skills from your role will be useful for ANY job later on.
    Your mother is giving you a beneficial opportunity, take it!! You'll regret it later if you don't.
    Oh and regarding GCSE's it doesn't matter if you get all A*s, no one looks at GCSE's after A Levels, as long as you do reasonably alright, it will be fine in the long run.

You have the opportunity to put something on your CV, I say take it!!!!

Edit: Oh and with your own money, you can buy your own stuff, and your mother can't say **** because it's not her money :P
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    It's very good for you to work a few hours a week. It will help you find employment in later life (no one wants to hire someone who's never worked before) and it also helps you learn time management skills. Plenty of people balance studying and working just fine. Also, it may take you a few months or longer to find something, so don't worry about it yet.

ReputationRep:

There's a very easy solution to your problem, just actually apply for lots of different jobs especially online because then you're not actually lying to her and you have applied but if any company contacts you don't reply back to them then you can tell your mum you've actually applied for loads of jobs but if she asks why you have not been offered work yet just tell her it's hard to get jobs and companies don't bother to offer interviews. Whatever she says to do like hand your cv into shops, pubs just do it and if they call you pretend you have already been offered a job or you're ill Or pretend you went on interviews but don't actually go to them.
    Whatever job she says to apply for just do it to get her off your back because most of the time these companies won't bother to contact you anyway
    Or sign up online with CV Library, Reed, Monster, Indeed, www. Student jobs and after you applied for a job they send an email to confirm you applied for it but most of the time they don't call you for interviews anyway so at least you can prove on your computer you did apply for jobs and you can turn them down if they do contact you for an interview. Your mum will never know
    Then when your ready and want to find a job in your own time continue to apply online but also sign up with several different agencies in the high street
    If your mum asks if you joined an agency you can just say they always tell you to sign up with them online and some agencies dont always get people jobs anyway so most people give up on them but that's because they never knew they would have more chance to succeed in getting a job with agencies if they signed up with several different agencies and not just rely on just one

ReputationRep:
    I was tutoring at the age of 12 for some extra cash, doesn't hurt, and tutoring is great for reviewing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.