Urgent help needed choosing college (Politics) Watch

henrybirt_98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I am looking to study Politics next year and cant decide on a college choice

I am looking for:

-Somewhere close to where Politics is taught and close to the city if those two can coincide
-Relatively large
-Old architecture

I am not concerned about sport particularly but any advice at all is welcome

Thank you
Edulcorante
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Surprised no one's answered this. I've done a bit of research on colleges so I'll try to help.

Basically, I think there are no particular colleges for particular subjects because teaching is done centrally. The colleges are more of a social hub and where the university looks after you. I'm not sure which colleges are more sporty than others.

One thing you can take into account is how near colleges are to the Politics department. From the below information on the uni website it looks like your best bets would be St. Aidan's, Trevelyan or St. Mary's.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/sgia/politics/

Good luck!
Edulcorante
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just realised I didn't fully answer your question. I think most of the colleges in that area have new architecture but St. Mary's looks quite grand in photos. Looks like a stately home!
GeoffS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I suggest you visit Durham to get some sort of perspective. You will not need long as the city is very small (but perfectly formed) I was at Grey but had friends in most of the other Colleges. Do your research. All the colleges are excellent, some are more traditional than others.Which ever College you select and if you eventually "get in" you will soon decide that you are in the "best" College".
Good Luck
SebUK
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How far is University College from where the politics department is/where the lectures happen?
Sophia250699
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by henrybirt_98)
Hi I am looking to study Politics next year and cant decide on a college choice

I am looking for:

-Somewhere close to where Politics is taught and close to the city if those two can coincide
-Relatively large
-Old architecture

I am not concerned about sport particularly but any advice at all is welcome

Thank you
Hey! I had very similar requirements (applied for Politics in October) and applied to St. Mary's after visiting. I think it's a beautiful college, and it is very close to the Politics building.
LibertyMan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
>large and old

Hild Bede, university, Hatfield, (Im sure about the architecture in those) st chads, st cuth (not sure about architecture)

I dont actually know where politics is taught, but university and hatfield are central and hild bede is the furthest out of them all, though it is only about 20 mins of walking max.

Let me give you additional advice since you allowed it- castle and hatfield are where its at. Apply only to them.
LibertyMan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
>large and old

Hild Bede, university, Hatfield, (Im sure about the architecture in those) st chads, st cuth (not sure about architecture)

I dont actually know where politics is taught, but university and hatfield are central and hild bede is the furthest out of them all, though it is only about 20 mins of walking max.

Let me give you additional advice since you allowed it- castle and hatfield are where its at. Apply only to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (154)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.71%
No I am happy with my course choice (516)
59.11%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.55%

Watched Threads