Turn on thread page Beta

I gave up the love of my life for my friend watch

So basically myself and my very good friend like the same girl. As soon as I found this out I backed off and helped my friend get her. I am feeling quite bad that I will never get her but happy for my friend at the same time. Did I do the right thing?

ReputationRep:
    if your friend is a true friend he will leave the girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So basically myself and my very good friend like the same girl. As soon as I found this out I backed off and helped my friend get her. I am feeling quite bad that I will never get her but happy for my friend at the same time. Did I do the right thing?
    You did and you didn't. You done good by helping your friend and you backed off. You done bad to give up someone you love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    That's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transitory)
    That's true.
    You're both assuming that he knows. And not necessarily - if that logic were applied no one would be able to date her and no one would benefit at all. What's the purpose in this?

ReputationRep:
    Does your friend know how you feel about her? Does the girl know?

You've demonstrated extreme loyalty and valour, so that's commendable. But have they...?

ReputationRep:
    As the above poster said, by this logic then the OP would also have to give her up if he were a true friend..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)
    You're both assuming that he knows. And not necessarily - if that logic were applied no one would be able to date her and no one would benefit at all. What's the purpose in this?
    Then he would lose his friend though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transitory)
    Then he would lose his friend though.
    Why? The OP says he's happy for his friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a way, its up to who the girl likes the most as you can't decide who she wants to be with

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by donutellme)
    Does your friend know how you feel about her? Does the girl know?

You've demonstrated extreme loyalty and valour, so that's commendable. But have they...?
    Yes,my friend does know that I like her

ReputationRep:
    Why? The OP says he's happy for his friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry, wrote the wrong thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    As the above poster said, by this logic then the OP would also have to stay give her up if he were a true friend..
    he should leave her and they both should forget about her

ReputationRep:
    The idea of backing off from a girl for a friend is something I've always found ridiculous. Dating doesn't work on a first come first served basis, she might not have even liked your friend. Hell she might not have liked either of you.

It's not something I'd ever do purely for the lack of sense in it.

ReputationRep:
    'The love of my life' geez you weren't even dating her.

ReputationRep:
    Well if she truly was the 'love of your life', then you wouldn't hve given her up so easily.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i mean you did do a right thing in a way as, u sacrified the person u love for ur friend, which is very good, but does she love ur friend?

If u dont mind me asking?

(Original post by x-bhakti-patel)
    Yes, i mean you did do a right thing in a way as, u sacrified the person u love for ur friend, which is very good, but does she love ur friend?

If u dont mind me asking?
    Well, since they are dating now, I'd guess so.

(Original post by Ciel.)
    'The love of my life' geez you weren't even dating her.
    Well what I meant was the girl I like/have crush on

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    The idea of backing off from a girl for a friend is something I've always found ridiculous. Dating doesn't work on a first come first served basis, she might not have even liked your friend. Hell she might not have liked either of you.

It's not something I'd ever do purely for the lack of sense in it.
    (Original post by Funnycatvideos)
    Well if she truly was the 'love of your life', then you wouldn't hve given her up so easily.
    So basically I messed up. Well I guess I am gonna need some alcohol for a while

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.