The Student Room Group

Adult or child nursing?

Hey there,
I want to do child nursing i have been interested in it for a while, i am currently doing a access course and going to apply for uni, i have very limited experience working with children. I have been a carer and support worker, working with elderly, learning Difficulties and mental health my goal is to work with children, I don't know if i should do adult nursing then do child nursing i just wondered what others opinions and views are
Thank you
You do realise you can do both but only at certain ibis
Get work experience with children perhaps in a nursery or primary school or a children's hospice.

If you want to do both you can.

Research which places do both.

You do sound uncertain so ovbviously doing more work experience in both settings will help you decide further
Original post by ashleaclark
Hey there,
I want to do child nursing i have been interested in it for a while, i am currently doing a access course and going to apply for uni, i have very limited experience working with children. I have been a carer and support worker, working with elderly, learning Difficulties and mental health my goal is to work with children, I don't know if i should do adult nursing then do child nursing i just wondered what others opinions and views are
Thank you

Moved into the Nursing and Midwifery area.

If you know which branch you want to work in then I would recommend applying for that in the first place. There is no point in wasting 3/4 years on a degree which will not lead to the career you want. Dual registration is not straightforward and there are few places on conversion courses which would allow you to change branch after qualifying. These are often much more competitive than the undergraduate degree.

It is difficult to get work experience within children's nursing, and admissions tutors are aware of this, so your current experiences will still be relevant and useful to your application. It would be useful to have some relevant reading or even a day or two shadowing in a relevant area before applying.
Also you can't jump from one nursing speciality to another, unfortunately.

You either pick 1 or choose to do both( not all universities do this)
Reply 5
Original post by Blackstarr
Also you can't jump from one nursing speciality to another, unfortunately.

You either pick 1 or choose to do both( not all universities do this)

I was thinking of doing adult then doing a conversion course
Reply 6
Original post by Charlotte49
Moved into the Nursing and Midwifery area.

If you know which branch you want to work in then I would recommend applying for that in the first place. There is no point in wasting 3/4 years on a degree which will not lead to the career you want. Dual registration is not straightforward and there are few places on conversion courses which would allow you to change branch after qualifying. These are often much more competitive than the undergraduate degree.

It is difficult to get work experience within children's nursing, and admissions tutors are aware of this, so your current experiences will still be relevant and useful to your application. It would be useful to have some relevant reading or even a day or two shadowing in a relevant area before applying.

Thank you
Hey there,
Thank you

Adult & children's nursing are incredibly different. Direct care experience with children is not really ever expected because of how difficult it is, however if you obtain care experience, and experience working with children then both of these provide the foundations of the skills required to be a children's nurse.

It sounds as if you already have adequate care experience, but I would strongly advise getting some form of experience working with children - do some volunteering in a local school or at a youth club etc. You need to show the universities that you are able to effectively work with children/young people.

If you decide that children's is what you want to do, then apply directly for that. As the fields are so different, you would probably feel a bit like you were starting from square one again once doing your conversion course.

If you do apply for children's, ensure in your personal statement that you show full awareness of what a children's nurse does.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone for the help, i know child nursing is what i want to do its what i have my heart set on, but i just wasn't sure what was the best route for me to go down. Thank you
I was thinking of doing adult then doing a conversion course

I don't know much about that.

Is there such a thing? elaborate please

And i found this link of different dual degrees, maybe it will be of some help to you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/List_of_nursing_degrees_and_their_entry_requirements
If Children nursing is what you want do it, don't go in a field you want like or the next 3 years are going to be very very long! there is less place for children nursing but if it is what you want go for it and you will get it. Good luck in your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending