Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone graduated from Edinburgh / Durham / Warwick / St Andrews and still unemployed? watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone graduated from Edinburgh / Durham / Warwick / St Andrews and still unemployed after 6 months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic Streets)
    Anyone graduated from Edinburgh / Durham / Warwick / St Andrews and still unemployed after 6 months?
    Couldn't you find these statistics by looking at the 'Graduate Prospects' for league tables?

Durham and St Andrews - 83.3%
    Warwick - 80.4%
    Edinburgh - 73%

Source: Sunday Times and Times University League Table 2017

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    Couldn't you find these statistics by looking at the 'Graduate Prospects' for league tables?

Durham and St Andrews - 83.3%
    Warwick - 80.4%
    Edinburgh - 73%

Source: Sunday Times and Times University League Table 2017
    I don't trust league tables, and the percentages don't tell us who went into graduate telesales roles, as opposed to prestigious roles with the Pentagon or in Missile Research at Nasa.

ReputationRep:
    I don't trust league tables, and the percentages don't tell us who went into graduate telesales roles, as opposed to prestigious roles with the Pentagon or in Missile Research at Nasa.
    And you would prefer to trust anonymous strangers on the internet?

The data is collected by HESA, not by the league tables themselves. The statistics present the proportion of graduates in professional jobs or graduate study - i.e. not anyone working as a cashier at a supermarket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    And you would prefer to trust anonymous strangers on the internet?

The data is collected by HESA, not by the league tables themselves. What you do know from the statistics that they present is that these people are in professional jobs or graduate study - i.e. not anyone working as a cashier at a supermarket.
    And where is the proof of that? Employers call all kinds of jobs as graduate level ones these days, from sales through to plumbing.

I want to hear of real examples from guys on TSR, not arbitary percentages of employment.

ReputationRep:
    And where is the proof of that? Employers call all kinds of jobs as graduate level ones these days, from sales through to plumbing.

I want to hear of real examples from guys on TSR, not arbitrary percentages of employment.
    It's more reliable than hearing stories from strangers online. What else would you propose? Solely hearing anecdotes from anonymous randomers online? It's a data source which opens itself up to scrutiny but it's far more reliable than the question you ask, and provides a benchmark on what the 'average' graduate does. For all you know, regardless of whether they are genuine examples from graduates or not, you could be hearing from anomalous cases rather than what the average graduate from the universities you mentioned does.

Seems like you want to hear unemployment examples rather than people who have actually found jobs at the "Pentagon" or "NASA".

ReputationRep:
    You didn't ask who was employed. You asked for who was unemployed. The percentages don't lie when it comes to telling you who is unemployed (regardless of the employed graduate's status).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    You didn't ask who was employed. You asked for who was unemployed. The percentages don't lie when it comes to telling you who is unemployed (regardless of the employed graduate's status).
    I want to hear of examples whereby graduates from the top tier universities have tried to get into top careers and so far have had no luck.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I want to hear of examples whereby graduates from the top tier universities have tried to get into top careers and so far have had no luck.
    Would you trust a stranger on the streets over an official research when doing an assignment for your course? This is basically the same

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the next time don't ask 'is anyone still unemployed?' Instead, ask 'has anyone tried to get in to 'top careers' with no luck?'... Further to that, maybe outline what a 'top career' is in your eyes.

That'll sort the confusion and prevent people from answering the question you actually asked in lieu of answering the question you actually meant to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    Maybe the next time don't ask 'is anyone still unemployed?' Instead, ask 'has anyone tried to get in to 'top careers' with no luck?'... Further to that, maybe outline what a 'top career' is in your eyes.

That'll sort the confusion and prevent people from answering the question you actually asked in lieu of answering the question you actually meant to ask.
    So you didn't attend Edinburgh / Durham / Warwick / St Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    So you didn't attend Edinburgh / Durham / Warwick / St Andrews?
    Nope. I have plenty of friends who attended Edinburgh, 1 at Durham and 1 at St. Andrews - each with varying jobs and degrees of success.

Actually, I met one guy in China during a summer school who was from Warwick - that was a sad encounter because at the time I was considering Warwick as a place to complete a masters.

ReputationRep:
    That will be the vast majority of graduates from all universities then.

"Top careers" are far and few between compared to the tens of thousands of graduates graduating from those universities each year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I doubt very many people would want to say online.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.