What are the actual changes for the 9-1 Maths & English GCSEs? Watch

Mark0001
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've heard a lot of noise about how us in year 11 are at a disadvantage and how no one is prepared for the new GCSEs, but I am yet to hear what has actually changed in the GCSEs.

For example, Maths (Higher) is now equation less and includes harder topics, and English (Literature and Language) has had having the novel you're studying to be not allowed in the exam.

But what has actually been added/changed/removed? Also, what resources are there to help?

EDIT:

I do-
Maths-Edexcel
English-AQA
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mark0001)
I've heard a lot of noise about how us in year 11 are at a disadvantage and how no one is prepared for the new GCSEs, but I am yet to hear what has actually changed in the GCSEs.

For example, Maths (Higher) is now equation less and includes harder topics, and English (Literature and Language) has had having the novel you're studying to be not allowed in the exam.
But what has actually been added/changed/removed? And what resources are there to help?
We are not disadvantaged because exam boards will have to compensate by lowering grade boundaries. If anything, it will become easier to get an A*-equivalent grade, since both 8 and 9 are considered equivalent. Those two grades will, likely, encompass a larger area than that of the current A*.

• Maths is somewhat harder. To what extent depends on your exam board.
  • The format of Maths has changed. How it has changed depends on your exam board.
  • You no longer get a formula sheet in Maths. You still receive some, geometry-related typically, equations. This may include the area of a sphere and the area of a cone.
  • You no longer receive a blank copy of the poetry anthology (English Literature) within the exam.
  • Papers for English Literature and English Language are overall harder in nature. The format of the papers has changed. How it has changed depends on your exam board.
  • There is no longer coursework for English.

Addressing a few 9-1 myths that you have probably heard:
  • A 9 is not impossible. - there would be zero point in introducing an impossible, or near-impossible, grade.
  • A 9 will not be awarded to the top 1/2% - it is awarded to the top 4%, and that is a difference of thousands of exam entries.
  • A 9 will, likely, not require 95% in English or Maths - Teachers who say this are confusing raw and UMS marks. Consider this: The A* boundary, for English, encompasses the top 5-6%, at the moment, and the grade boundaries (taking AQA as an example) rarely exceed the mid 70s (%) for an A*, often lower. There is no way, within reason, it will magically jump to 95%, considering the increased difficulty of the exam.
  • If you're an A* student on the old specification, you are most likely capable of an 8/9 - grade boundaries will compensate for added difficulty.

In the end, everyone is simply guesstimating based on what Ofqual says. I am making my estimate based on grade statistics for the current spec, and the words of Ofqual. I doubt, personally, that the boundary for a 9 will exceed the current boundary for an A* in the old specification, for Maths, ie. around 78-85%. In English Literature, I'd say the same, ie. around 70-76%. In English Language, however, I'm definitely uncertain.
Mark0001
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by _gcx)
We are not disadvantaged because exam boards will have to compensate by lowering grade boundaries. If anything, it will become easier to get an A*-equivalent grade, since both 8 and 9 are considered equivalent. Those two grades will, likely, encompass a larger area than that of the current A*.

• Maths is somewhat harder. To what extent depends on your exam board.
  • The format of Maths has changed. How it has changed depends on your exam board.
  • You no longer get a formula sheet in Maths. You still receive some, geometry-related typically, equations. This may include the area of a sphere and the area of a cone.
  • You no longer receive a blank copy of the poetry anthology (English Literature) within the exam.
  • Papers for English Literature and English Language are overall harder in nature. The format of the papers has changed. How it has changed depends on your exam board.
  • There is no longer coursework for English.

Addressing a few 9-1 myths that you have probably heard:
  • A 9 is not impossible. - there would be zero point in introducing an impossible, or near-impossible, grade.
  • A 9 will not be awarded to the top 1/2% - it is awarded to the top 4%, and that is a difference of thousands of exam entries.
  • A 9 will, likely, not require 95% in English or Maths - Teachers who say this are confusing raw and UMS marks. Consider this: The A* boundary, for English, encompasses the top 5-6%, at the moment, and the grade boundaries (taking AQA as an example) rarely exceed the mid 70s (%) for an A*, often lower. There is no way, within reason, it will magically jump to 95%, considering the increased difficulty of the exam.
  • If you're an A* student on the old specification, you are most likely capable of an 8/9 - grade boundaries will compensate for added difficulty.

In the end, everyone is simply guesstimating based on what Ofqual says. I am making my estimate based on grade statistics for the current spec, and the words of Ofqual. I doubt, personally, that the boundary for a 9 will exceed the current boundary for an A* in the old specification, for Maths, ie. around 78-85%. In English Literature, I'd say the same, ie. around 70-76%. In English Language, however, I'm definitely uncertain.
This sounds very interesting... Do you know where I could find an example of the new style English and Maths questions (Other than the specimen papers, I've done them too many times)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.1%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.67%
It might lead to more bullying (72)
36.36%
There's nothing they could do (59)
29.8%

Watched Threads