The Student Room Group

Economics / physics

I don't know what to do for a levels as I want to do both physics and economics but can't as we're only allowed 3 subjects with the exception of further maths.

Can you guys share your experiences of doing either/ both of these subjects please? :smile:

P.S: I'm thinking of doing maths, chemistry too.
Original post by Alicezworld
I don't know what to do for a levels as I want to do both physics and economics but can't as we're only allowed 3 subjects with the exception of further maths.

Can you guys share your experiences of doing either/ both of these subjects please? :smile:

Hiya,

I don't know much about economics but I do A2 maths, physics and chemistry. I find that they compliment eachother really well but they can be very challenging! Some examples include maths makes the maths in physics easier to apply (there's lots of maths in physics and it can be very tricky!), physics makes the physical chemistry easier to understand, chemistry makes thermal physics easier to understand e.t.c.

Do have any idea about what you'd like to do eventually? :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

I don't know much about economics but I do A2 maths, physics and chemistry. I find that they compliment eachother really well but they can be very challenging! Some examples include maths makes the maths in physics easier to apply (there's lots of maths in physics and it can be very tricky!), physics makes the physical chemistry easier to understand, chemistry makes thermal physics easier to understand e.t.c.

Do have any idea about what you'd like to do eventually? :smile:

Hey, thanks for your reply.

Well, I'm thinking of doing a science based subject at uni like chemistry. Yeah a lot of people said physics would help but they're also quite similar in terms of some topics like mechanics.
For some uni, they do specify at least 2 sciences so Idk. I mean I enjoy both tho.
Hey, thanks for your reply.

Well, I'm thinking of doing a science based subject at uni like chemistry. Yeah a lot of people said physics would help but they're also quite similar in terms of some topics like mechanics.
For some uni, they do specify at least 2 sciences so Idk. I mean I enjoy both tho.

You're welcome :smile: I'm applying for chemistry and I've realised that lots of unis count maths as a science anyway if you decide that you don't want to do physics :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
You're welcome :smile: I'm applying for chemistry and I've realised that lots of unis count maths as a science anyway if you decide that you don't want to do physics :smile:

Oh really, that's good to hear! Just of curiousity, what unis are you applying to? :smile:
Oh really, that's good to hear! Just of curiousity, what unis are you applying to? :smile:

I'm not completely sure yet but so far I think: surrey, sussex and Southampton. :smile:

It depends on what you want to at uni! I want to do economics, and am studying maths, economics and chemistry!:smile:
Reply 7
I took all the subjects youre considering at AS! So I took Economics, Physics, Chemistry and Maths. So, in my opinion I found physics by far the hardest and most dry subject and was the reason I dropped it at A2 level - however of course this is down to personal preference. Economics is a great subject for a grade booster, but surprisingly Economics is a very essay based subject and if writing PEEL paragraphs isn't for you then neither is economics.

So for a TL;DR - if you love maths and you want a challenge then Physics is for you. If you just need a 3rd subject to have a good grade and your capable of writing essays then Economics!

Thought I'd mention my exam boards are AQA except for maths which is EDEXCEL.

Hope this was helpful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sunshine774
It depends on what you want to at uni! I want to do economics, and am studying maths, economics and chemistry!:smile:

Yes I'm thinking of those those a levels and I want to study. A science based course like chemistry... I originally wanted to do physics for university but then I find it quite boring too...

How are you getting on with these subjects? Which one is your fav? :smile:
Original post by Jisc
I took all the subjects youre considering at AS! So I took Economics, Physics, Chemistry and Maths. So, in my opinion I found physics by far the hardest and most dry subject and was the reason I dropped it at A2 level - however of course this is down to personal preference. Economics is a great subject for a grade booster, but surprisingly Economics is a very essay based subject and if writing PEEL paragraphs isn't for you then neither is economics.

So for a TL;DR - if you love maths and you want a challenge then Physics is for you. If you just need a 3rd subject to have a good grade and your capable of writing essays then Economics!

Thought I'd mention my exam boards are AQA except for maths which is EDEXCEL.

Hope this was helpful.

Oh really, yeah I heard that it is an essay based subject but I feel like getting A* in economics isn't easy because my school only got a few... I think our exam board is OCR but then again idk... So are the concepts easy to grasp as there's a lot of data involved? I also did an entrance exam in economics and it had multiple choice questions asking to you to read a summary and tick out of the options that you feel best summarises the text?!

Also, what are thinking of studying at university?
Reply 10
I can imagine there being quite a lot of cross over from OCR to AQA but I'll base it from my experience. In my opinion the multiple choice was a life saver you just need to practice them, and eventually when it comes to exam day you can get like 90% on that section and will overall relive a bit of pressure off of the essays.

In no way would I say economics is easy however out of my subjects at AS I revised the least on economics and was able to get an A in it. As you probably know economics is split into micro and macro, with macro being the most interesting in my opinion as you are able to use more "real-world" examples - micro can be quite theoretical at times.

The reason I think i found the concepts in economics slightly easier is due to the amount of resources there are on the internet! Such as: tutor2u, economicsonline, economicshelp.

And I've applied for chemistry at university :smile:
Yes I'm thinking of those those a levels and I want to study. A science based course like chemistry... I originally wanted to do physics for university but then I find it quite boring too...

How are you getting on with these subjects? Which one is your fav? :smile:

Economics is definitely my fave!:h: Chemistry and maths are also pretty good! Yeah you shouldn't do physics at uni if you find it boring- as to study a subject at degree level you definitely need a passion for the subject!:smile: So I would recommend you taking economics instead of physics. Btw are you in yr 11? If so how are your GCSE's going?x:h:

Oh and I find economics pretty easy, but a lot of people say its challenging. Chemistry is SO different from GCSE- I was quite shocked!:redface: But like everything, if you work at it you can get really good! Maths is quite easy I think- just one of those things you have to keep working at! Best of luck!x:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest