The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
HMSChocolate
@OP: where did you originally post this thread? Has it just been moved from somewhere to the IB Subforum because it sounds like it. You wouldn't get so many people going on about A levels when you're in fact doing IB.

Anyway, You have 2 Group 3 subjects that you don't want to give up at IB. You *can* do History still, as a 7th certificate subject, that would not count towards your final diploma score. IF you're really relaly motivated to do history, I'd suggest talking to your school to see if they let you do history as a 7th subject (scheduling allowing). Otherwise you can't do history at all because you can only do max 2 Group 3 subjects with a normal diploma.

In the general Sixth form / Secondary bit... I wasn't really thinking about IB History.. just History in general... I was very veyr confused! lol

The certificate idea would be reeally good...if only I was capable lol! Our IB coordinator has already told me that IB will be difficult for me... I am the least able person from my school taking it... (and the fact that this is our schools first year IB doesn't help! lol)

But I've had a rethink... and I think that I would drop Philosophy for History...I know that i would much more enjoy History, and it will be a lot more useful for me too!
Reply 21
afua12
In the general Sixth form / Secondary bit... I wasn't really thinking about IB History.. just History in general... I was very veyr confused! lol

The certificate idea would be reeally good...if only I was capable lol! Our IB coordinator has already told me that IB will be difficult for me... I am the least able person from my school taking it... (and the fact that this is our schools first year IB doesn't help! lol)

But I've had a rethink... and I think that I would drop Philosophy for History...I know that i would much more enjoy History, and it will be a lot more useful for me too!

Are you absolutely sure you don't want to drop Psychology (rather than Philosophy)?

I'm just thinking that Philosophy and History would definitely be the best combo for RS at uni.
Reply 22
Osmosis
Are you absolutely sure you don't want to drop Psychology (rather than Philosophy)?

I'm just thinking that Philosophy and History would definitely be the best combo for RS at uni.

really? hmmm it would be a good combination, but I'm interested also in the psychology behind organised religions and why people follow them etc.
(dam IB - why can't I just drop maths? lol no one needs maths... :tongue:)
Reply 23
afua12
History HL with no previous history lessons since i was 13... hmm... possible? :s-smilie:

I don't see why not. The history that I would do if I chose it for the IB would be basically knew as the history I did for GCSE was a completely different topic...

I have a similar problem... I want to take psychology but I may be better at history (having got an A* at GCSE). I have to have two sciences so I can't pick both. It's such a dilemma...
Reply 24
I don't want to give up subject such as Maths and English at 15... (which is ridiculous imo!!)

why can't I just drop maths? lol no one needs maths...

Make up your mind, already.

History HL without History lessons for a few years is doable (I'm doing it, no problems), as long as you've got at least some flair for the subject. You'll have a bit of catching up to do on essay style (Making them more analytical, than simply descriptive), but essay-writing skills from other subjects will serve you well as a base.

Source-work will also take a bit of practice, but once you've got the technique, it's very easy.

Both of those apply to SL as well, so the jump to HL from SL won't be nearly as great a leap as from nothing to History.
Reply 25
Heya,

Firstly, sorry if I'm repeating anything, I skimmed most of the posts rather than going thorugh them all one by one.

I didn't do History GCSE but coped absolutely fine with IB History and got a 7 at SL. Infact, although it depends on your college, I'm sure the syllabus is pretty much the same for SL and HL (we did 20th century history). I followed the same stuff as my friends doing HL, the whole class did the same lessons. I thought that the only difference between History SL and HL was the extra 3rd paper for HL anyway.

As for persuading your college, mine were fine with it. I told them I was prepared to do any extra reading I needed and they agreed. I did a bit every now and then to make sure I knew the basics of a topic before we started it. I don't see why your college say you need it tbh.
Reply 26
Or if you want to do history that badly, pick it up as a seventh subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending