Turn on thread page Beta

can i study a level history without doing it for gcse's? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am doing GCSE at the moment, so basically I want to study a law degree and I looked up what a levels are needed so I can pick them and what came up on internet was there are no specific ones however it is recommended that you choose history and English to help you out but its not a must. I am not studying history in school I chose geography. I don't know what to do plz help

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can take History A-Level without History GCSE - it's one of those subjects like psychology, sociology, etc. where it isn't necessary to have studied it at GCSE level, although it may come in handy at times for essay-writing skills (but not at all necessary)

ReputationRep:
    Yep! I was in the same position as you two years ago - wanted to do Law, and saw that history would be a good accompaniment (although I also just wanted to study it - that's more important!)... Went to one of the history teachers in my school, she said it'd be A-OK. So long as you have evidence of good essay-writing skills (good English GCSE, basically), you'll be just fine. I actually found I fared better without having all of the GCSE-esque essay-writing techniques trailing into my AS year!

But please, remember that you've gotta take what A Levels you want, not what you think you might need. Especially relevant for Law - the majority of universities aren't too fussy about what subjects you've taken, so long as your grades are good.

ReputationRep:
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    okay and thanx

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.