Turn on thread page Beta

CoffeeGeek's Road to GCSE Success... This is it! (2017) watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

CoffeeGeek's Road to GCSE Success (this is it)!
    Updates everyday unless told otherwise! Enjoy the blog
    Hello everyone! My name is CoffeeGeek, I am 16 and I am from Birmingham! I like playing video games, it is a great distraction from work and one of my main ways of dodging work until last minute (I should really stop hahaha).

Get a brew, sit down somewhere comfy because this is going to be long! I have had 3 blogs, yes, 3 blogs before this one! One for Year 9 and another for Year 10 so if you want to see me from the start then click Year 9 or if you want to see me mid-way then click Year 10 (I also had one for the start of Year 11)

SUBJECTS I'M TAKING FOR MY GCSE'S:
    • Maths (Edexcel)
    • English Lit + Lang (AQA)
    • Chemistry (AQA)
    • Physics (AQA) ---> I'm doing triple science.
    • Biology (AQA)
    • History (AQA)
    • Geography (AQA)
    • French (AQA)
    • Religious Studies (AQA)
    • ICT (Edexcel)

A Bit of History About Me:
    Spoiler:
    Show

In Year 9 I didn't really concentrate I was very laid back until around the end of the year, I did GYG and I aced my end of year exams, I moved from bottom sets to top sets for Maths and Science and I have improved greatly in English.

In Year 10 I continued with GYG and I think I was still a bit laid back because I was just aiming to get notes finished and not focusing on my technique which is more important. You can see how my grades in some subjects dropped throughout the year! One thing I learnt in Year 10 was to get coursework finished despite how tedious they are and also do not chill! I have to now catch up on some work for ICT that should have been finished in Year 10!!!

This is the year where the spotlight is shining even brighter on me and many others to sit GCSE's with me this year. Being the first to sit the new GCSE Maths and English Lit + Lang I am very very very scared but sorta got a bit of excitement for it because I don't know what will happen and I am excited by that!

My Year 11 Report (most recent one):
    Spoiler:
    Show

Biology: A [A]
    Chemistry: A [A]
    Physics: A [A]
    French: C [B]
    Geography: A [A]
    History: A [A]
    ICT: B [A]
    Maths: 8 [8]
    Religious Studies: A [A*]

: = WAG (Working At Grade)
    [] = Predicted Grade

Here are some study tips that might help others in my situation, I used these last exam week in order to achieve the grades/levels above:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Be persistent.
    • Use the Pomodoro Technique (google it if you don't know), it is a really effective way of getting a lot of work done in a short amount of time.
    • Listen to some Focus music on Spotify or something to help you concentrate!
    • Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.
    • If you're struggling, ask the teacher (or friends) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...
    • Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, highlight important things to remember and keywords.
    • Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand (well I don't). Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.
    • I drank lots of caffeine (especially coffee because it is slow-release) during exam season to make me more alert and do stuff... quickly It actually helps most people but I wouldn't recommend drinking any quick-release caffeine or drinking it after noon because it is going to be hard to go to sleep.
    • On that note, get LOTS of sleep.
    • Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.
    • Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic... I am mostly a visual learner. Click hereto do a small test to find out what kind of learner you are
    • BIG tip. Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it (like it did for me ).
    • Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail.

If you are reading this blog and you're in Year 11 then join the Year 11 Thread.

Useful Links
    https://hegartymaths.com/
    https://corbettmaths.com/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/
    http://www.my-gcsescience.com/
    https://www.mathswatchvle.com/
    http://freesciencelessons.co.uk/
    https://www.memrise.com/
    https://quizlet.com/
    http://www.johndclare.net/

Other Year 11 blogs

Enjoy the blog guys!
    (I suggest if you are here and you are suppose to do work, come off now, and just get started!!!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey everyone! I didn't realise I made the 2017 one on the 2016 GYG thread, but it's here now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Update 04/11/16

So, silly me didn't notice that I was supposed to be on the 2017 thread! Anyways, this week was alright:
    • I finished my French CA, it's getting marked at the moment, will have to memorise soon.
    • I'm doing good in History CA write-up at the moment.
    • Apparently we do get study leave before our mocks, I guess we will know more when we get closer to it! (4 weeks to go! Oh dear!)
    • Right so I have some bad news. I didn't meet the marks needed not to do a resit for my ISA. I got 44/50 which is an A* on last year's grade boundaries but for the sake of being safe they department said the grade boundaries could go up randomly and 46/50 is a safe mark for an A*. So I will do my resit and try my best not to lose marks! I lost 3 marks in section 1 and 3 marks in section 2. It burns that I only needed two marks to pass and I bet it was something really silly!

That's it! Come back for Monday's update which will have the skype group timetable and my timetable for the week. My personal timetable isn't going to well mostly because of French. But on the weekend I will be able to focus on homework until Monday when I will need to start memorising. So there might not be any revision next week during weekdays!

Enjoy the weekend everyone
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Update 06/11/16

Bet you weren't expecting an update from me today! I was writing History Notes, or at least, typing. And I quickly noticed it would be better to just write them instead on paper so that's what I'm gonna do.
    Name:  P1010202.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  515.5 KB

(also being healthy eating sweets and Walkers crisps while revising!)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've managed to do quite a lot of notes, so I think I will get ready for tomorrow. I will post my personal revision timetable and the Skype revision group timetable in the blog for tomorrow. Cya then!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Update 07/11/16

So today was not too bad. Our French teacher is ill... again. So the test has been postponed (yay!).
    • This week we want to continue with History notes.
    • Continue with Sciences notes.
    • Revising Level 3 Algebra test by doing past papers.
    • Create a excel spreadsheet to log all my past paper data on there to track improvement.
    • Memorise French writing CA when it is handed back marked.
    • I am also trying to get fit, so I decided to join the gym. I will be going 3 times a week. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

That's about it!

Here's my timetable for this week (ignore french, won't be doing it):

Name:  timetable.PNG
Views: 320
Size:  48.9 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Here's the Year 11 Skype Group's timetable for the week:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 402
Size:  41.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv)
    Here's the Year 11 Skype Group's timetable for the week:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 402
Size:  41.9 KB
    It's looking great so far!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Update 11/11/16

So this week wasn't that good. We didn't do much as a group in terms of revision sessions, we only got two done in the whole week. We are aiming to get our session done tomorrow and hopefully it will actually be done.
    • We still haven't got our timetable for our mocks yet but it has been confirmed that the last two weeks of term we will have study leave for mocks. This is good, we only have to come in if we have exams.
    • The French test has not been pushed back... she is making us do it next week which is stupid considering she was ill for a whole week with our coursework, HoD said that we get an extra week and she also wasn't here on Monday. Frankly, this is just ridiculous.
    • I have my Level 3 Algebra mock exam next week. I haven't done one past paper yet and I haven't learnt the equations I need for the test. So that will be my major focus this weekend. If I don't pass this exam, I will not be entered for the exam in January. So I will need to prioritise this exam over other things... like French. Which is why I would rather they push it back so it doesn't conflict with other stuff we need to do.
    • I also need to finish off Chapter 1 notes for Unit 3 sciences. For all three of the subjects they have said that they will probably only test us on Unit 1 and 2 and Chapter 1 of Unit 3 - makes my life 100 times easier.
    • Most of my French Writing CA is perfected. I've emailed a different teacher to go over it again.
    • We also have an ICT mock... so I will need to go over that soon I guess too.

That's about it. Tomorrow I am planning to wake up early and go to the gym. I might go to the library with my friends to study and then continue at home too. I might update you guys on what I've got done. I also might upload a to-do list either tomorrow morning or tonight.

Enjoy your weekend!

ReputationRep:
    Update 11/11/16

So this week wasn't that good. We didn't do much as a group in terms of revision sessions, we only got two done in the whole week. We are aiming to get our session done tomorrow and hopefully it will actually be done.
    • We still haven't got our timetable for our mocks yet but it has been confirmed that the last two weeks of term we will have study leave for mocks. This is good, we only have to come in if we have exams.
    • The French test has not been pushed back... she is making us do it next week which is stupid considering she was ill for a whole week with our coursework, HoD said that we get an extra week and she also wasn't here on Monday. Frankly, this is just ridiculous.
    • I have my Level 3 Algebra mock exam next week. I haven't done one past paper yet and I haven't learnt the equations I need for the test. So that will be my major focus this weekend. If I don't pass this exam, I will not be entered for the exam in January. So I will need to prioritise this exam over other things... like French. Which is why I would rather they push it back so it doesn't conflict with other stuff we need to do.
    • I also need to finish off Chapter 1 notes for Unit 3 sciences. For all three of the subjects they have said that they will probably only test us on Unit 1 and 2 and Chapter 1 of Unit 3 - makes my life 100 times easier.
    • Most of my French Writing CA is perfected. I've emailed a different teacher to go over it again.

That's about it. Tomorrow I am planning to wake up early and go to the gym. I might go to the library with my friends to study and then continue at home too. I might update you guys on what I've got done. I also might upload a to-do list either tomorrow morning or tonight.

Enjoy your weekend!
    In general do these Skype groups work

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes generally they are good, I think we were all just doing individual revision notes this week rather than group ones as most of us have mocks starting in the next week or so.
    The group is really great though, really supportive and knowledgeable

ReputationRep:
    Update 11/11/16

Enjoy your weekend!
    I was meant to do the Level 3 algebra thing but the teachers didnt have time to teach it. I even still have the book !!
    Anyways your work ethic is amazing !! Feel free to check my thread out http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4228678
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does usually work. In fact last week we completed most sessions in the group. However it was just that this week everyone was doing their own thing and trying to get their own revision done as they have their mocks coming up as Lemur14 said.

We also don't just have sessions! We chat, help each other out with homework or revision. There's loads of stuff to do

(Original post by nisha.sri)
    I was meant to do the Level 3 algebra thing but the teachers didnt have time to teach it. I even still have the book !!
    Anyways your work ethic is amazing !! Feel free to check my thread out http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4228678
    Oh dear. I started Level 3 Algebra I think around June time, so we had enough time to do it. There's only 5 topics in A-Level anyways that is on there so I don't see why it couldn't have been done for you :/

Thanks! I don't think my work ethic is that great but someone else said it so, I guess it is I will check out your thread!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Update 14/11/16

Hey everyone! This week is not going to be fun. I should really be sleeping but I just wanted to say that my Level 3 Algebra revision went quite well, I got all the past papers done and I will do more specific things in the morning.

Ignore the timetable for today. Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the library to study after school.
Views: 321
Size:  57.3 KB
    If anything pops up I will tell you at the end of the week! Enjoy your week everyone
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Update 18/11/16

So I've handed in my internal application for my school for sixth form! I need to start with my external applications now. I've finished all Chapter 1 notes for Unit 3 Sciences. Chemistry hasn't been confirmed yet but Physics is P1, P2 and P3.1 and Biology is B1, B2 and B3.1. Hopefully it should be the same for Chemistry but the Chemistry department still hasn't decided yet! When mocks are three weeks away!
    • French Writing has been completed.
    • History Writing has been completed as well.
    • I did my Level 3 Algebra test this week and I think I got like 87%!!!! Watttt???!!!! So I passed... yeah
    • My Paper 2 Maths test didn't go as well, I heard 60 something so I will wait till next week.

That's really it! Cya on Monday! (might update during the weekend)

(sorry the update was late!!!!)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    • I did my Level 3 Algebra test this week and I think I got like 87%!!!! Watttt???!!!! So I passed... yeah
    • My Paper 2 Maths test didn't go as well, I heard 60 something so I will wait till next week.
    Well done again on your level 3 algebra
    But...60-something/80 is not bad at all! If I got 60 on my papers at this stage in year 11 I would be soo happy lol (I got 46/80 on my paper 2 in June lol). 60-something is definitely not a "This didn't go well" score!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Well done again on your level 3 algebra
    But...60-something/80 is not bad at all! If I got 60 on my papers at this stage in year 11 I would be soo happy lol (I got 46/80 on my paper 2 in June lol). 60-something is definitely not a "This didn't go well" score!
    Thanks!

Well if I've been getting above 70 percent all year it shows I've been struggling a bit. But I did mention that I was focusing more on Level 3 Algebra.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Thanks!

Well if I've been getting above 70 percent all year it shows I've been struggling a bit. But I did mention that I was focusing more on Level 3 Algebra.
    Yeah, that's more important for now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Update 21/11/16

Views: 313
Size:  55.1 KB

• Apparently we will be getting our mock timetables tomorrow, will tell you on Friday's update if that happens and I might post it here too.
    • The Level 3 Algebra exam date has been confirmed, 12th January 2017, so I better get serious and start revising for it
    • I want to stay behind on Wednesday to catch up with CAB work. Don't know how to make a website on Dreamweaver!
    • I got a B in my French writing, 1 mark away from an A. I will wait for now but it looks like I will be doing a retest.
    • I got an ICT mock tomorrow... which I haven't revised for yet... that's the aim for tonight!

So yeah! That's it! Ignore what is on Wednesday, I will be staying behind for ICT and also I am planning to go to the library after school on Thursday, that's why it is blank. If it's not raining then I will go to the gym tomorrow, if it is, then I will go on Saturday instead.

Have a good week everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Hate to be stupid, but what doe GYG stand for ?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.