The Student Room Group

CoffeeGeek's Road to GCSE Success... This is it! (2017)

Scroll to see replies

Update 20/04/2017

I completely forgot that I had ICT to go to yesterday, so that meant that I didn't get to do the stuff I planned to do. I decided that I'm not going to do History Unit 2 Past Paper because I don't need to be tested on Unit 2. I'm also not doing Maths Paper 2 and 3 but instead of doing Paper 3 today I'm doing Paper 1. We don't have Paper 2 and Paper 3 until after half-term so it might be better to revise all the non-calc stuff now then when half-term is approaching, start revising for calc.

So today the plan is to do a French Listening past paper, C1 Revision, English Lit revision, Maths Paper 1 and some French vocab. I need to do some French vocab, I haven't done it for two days so today I will make sure I do that once I have completed the revision before it. I'm doing French pretty much everyday, it is the first exam and it isn't a subject I am great at so I just need to practice a lot!

Hopefully I can update you guys tomorrow, if not then the day after. Ideally I would like to update you after I have done my revision but this will take a while! So it's quite unlikely! 24 days to go!
Original post by CoffeeGeek

CoffeeGeek's Road to GCSE Success (this is it)!
[scroll]Updates everyday unless told otherwise! Enjoy the blog [/scroll]
Hello everyone! My name is CoffeeGeek, I am 16 and I am from Birmingham! I like playing video games, it is a great distraction from work and one of my main ways of dodging work until last minute (I should really stop hahaha).

Get a brew, sit down somewhere comfy because this is going to be long! I have had 3 blogs, yes, 3 blogs before this one! One for Year 9 and another for Year 10 so if you want to see me from the start then click Year 9 or if you want to see me mid-way then click Year 10 (I also had one for the start of Year 11)

SUBJECTS I'M TAKING FOR MY GCSE'S:

Maths (Edexcel)

English Lit + Lang (AQA)

Chemistry (AQA)

Physics (AQA) ---> I'm doing triple science.

Biology (AQA)

History (AQA)

Geography (AQA)

French (AQA)

Religious Studies (AQA)

ICT (Edexcel)

A Bit of History About Me:

Spoiler

My Year 11 Report (most recent one):

Spoiler

Here are some study tips that might help others in my situation, I used these last exam week in order to achieve the grades/levels above:

Spoiler

If you are reading this blog and you're in Year 11 then join the Year 11 Thread.

Useful Links
https://hegartymaths.com/
https://corbettmaths.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/
http://www.my-gcsescience.com/
https://www.mathswatchvle.com/
http://freesciencelessons.co.uk/
https://www.memrise.com/
https://quizlet.com/
http://www.johndclare.net/

Other Year 11 blogs

Spoiler

Enjoy the blog guys!
(I suggest if you are here and you are suppose to do work, come off now, and just get started!!!)

omg i wish i was that clever at maths
Update 25/04/2017

I'm trying to get a lot done this week! Yesterday wasn't very productive because I only did some P1 revision, today I got some English Lit done. I'm not doing French today because the past paper I planned to do today I already did do - and I was also procrastinating a lot! So I will throw a past paper somewhere this week.

Also, this week Friday is moderation day, so I won't be at school and next week Monday is also a bank holiday - so no school for 4 days in a row! That time shouldn't be wasted - hopefully on all 4 days I am productive! This is the timetable so far but due to some procrastination today and (a lot of) procrastination yesterday, it will change (and also because I forgot that this week Friday is moderation day) - so maybe tomorrow I will post an updated version of the timetable and I will catch up on the stuff I missed out, such as the past paper I planned to do today for French! Here's the timetable for Week 12:

Capture.PNG

I have a B3 test tomorrow, going to read some notes in bed and sleep soon after. Hopefully I can do an update tomorrow! 19 days to go!
(edited 6 years ago)
Update 28/04/2017

My plan for today has changed slightly because I forgot that today is moderation day, therefore I have more time to do work! I didn't do a lot yesterday because I was just too tired to do any work, I even had some coffee and I went to sleep! I've caught up on some sleep I've missed out and I have more time to do work. These four days will be quite important, I need to get a lot done, especially on Monday! So today I'm going to do French Reading Past Paper and the two past papers I didn't do yesterday which was Geography Unit 1 and RS Unit 2. Then after that I'm going to do an hour of English Lit and an hour of B1 Revision.

This week hasn't been very productive so far, but hopefully over the next four days that can change. I'm going to get on with it now! Just thought I should remind you that there's only 16 days left until the first exam! (In fact, I have 13 days left until study leave, which in school days translates into 9 days...)
(edited 6 years ago)
Update - All exams are finished!

My exams finished two days ago! My 25 exams are out of my way woo! The last one I sat was P3 and now I have the whole of Summer ahead of me (and results day...)! I'm not going to talk to much about the exams because I kind of want to move on however, I will just say that overall I think I didn't do that bad. The only subject I'm very worried about is French because the exams were hell... Apart from that, I think I did fine overall - we will see in August if that is true!

I'd like to go over my A-Level subjects at some point during the holidays and get back to my reading to keep myself busy. I'm not sure if I've said it here but I'm going to be choosing 3 A-Levels instead of 4 which is: Maths, Economics and History. The reasons why is because it will be less of a burden during Year 12, I will have more time to focus on my 3 A-Levels. I also don't see the point in doing 4 if I'm going to drop it later... I know it's about narrowing down choices but I'd rather spend all my time on 3 and do the best in those than 4 and giving up on one... it's not worth it imo. This unfortunately means, no Politics! But that's fine because it's not required for what I want to do at university and doing it meant I would have to travel to another school, which I cba to do. It also means my timetable would be weird.

Anyways, that's it! I hope you all enjoy your summer! Don't think about exams too much, when it comes to August then I guess it's fine to worry then but not now. Just relax and make the most out of your long holiday! I'll be back for results day to talk about stuff :biggrin:

Update 24/08/2017 - GCSE RESULTS DAY!

I had only two hours sleep, woke up at 6am to see grade boundaries and just re-evaluate my life. Then I arrived at school to get my results at 9am. I just got the envelope and went straight back to the car to open it and... well.... I'm happy! I got 9A*AAAAAAB55. I also got into my school's sixth form and I'm doing the subjects I want to do. I can't do 3 A-Levels at the start, I have to do 4 but I have the option to drop down to 3 early if I want. Here are the grades for each subject:

Maths: 9
I have never ever got a 9 in Maths so it surprised me when I pulled the paper out a bit to see Maths at the top next to a "9". So I am really happy with my decision to continue with Maths because it's quite obvious that I'm exceptionally good at it! :biggrin:

Geography: A*
Wasn't expecting this at all, left all revision for this only until a few days before the exam. I went into exams not fully knowning my case studies and how things work and I somehow managed to get an A* out of it and I'm very happy about that! But not something I want to do at A-Level....!

ICT: A
I was expecting this because I thought the theory exam went nicely. But my coursework marks looks like they have been raised a bit too!

RS: A
I was expecting an A* but I'm still quite happy with an A. In Unit 3 I got a B and in Unit 2 I got an A*, so I found it slightly odd to see that and I might look into it but I remember being quite confident that I did well at the end of both exams.

Biology: A
I was expecting this after a bad start with French and then B1 (I got a B for that). For B2 I got an A and B3 an A*!!! Which I was not expecting. But an A in a Science is what I wanted and not to fussed about it since I'm not doing a Science for A-Levels nor am I interested in anything related to it.

Chemistry: A
Chemistry was probably the most chill out of all three Sciences, even though I hate that Science the most! And I got an A in each unit which is good! I believe I was one mark off an A* in C3.

Physics: A
I was expecting a B because of my poor performance in P2 and P3 with calculations. But when I was on my way to school in the car, I saw the grade boundaries for this and I reconsidered my initial expectations (because it was very low). I got an A in P1 and P3, and I got a B in P2.

For all three sciences I either got A* or A on my ISAs - which again, I'm quite happy with!

History: A
I was expecting this grade for History because I've never achieved an A* before. This is a breakdown off what I got in each unit:
Unit 1 - A
Unit 2 - B
Unit 3 - A*

I checked and I was 1 mark off an A in Unit 2, so I am thinking of getting that remarked and I could potentially have another A*. I'll have to ask and stuff but it's a possibility! But either way, I'm still very happy with this grade, I'll be even more happy if this got pushed up to an A*.

French: B
DEFINITELY NOT EXPECTED. Listening and reading was hEEEeeeEELLL - but I ended up getting an A in reading and an E in listening (this was definitely expected, none of my vocab came up I was surprised I didn't get a U). Writing and speaking I got an A and a B so my overall grade came out to be what I wanted, but not what I expected! So I am really happy with this grade :biggrin:

English Language: 5
I wasn't expecting this but I am fine with this result. I did think that the exam went better than I thought it would and I had a lot of ideas and I did put some time into it. I did ask for the marks and the HoD said he would have a look tomorrow and would notify us if they are going to send it for a remark. I just found it weird... and since I'm doing History I would have at least expected a 6 in English Language so!... Let's see...

English Literature: 5
Same as above because I actually revised for this quite a lot and had loads of ideas. This is quite a subjective area and I guess because of that loads of people get some lovely surprises when they get their results. But, again, I'm totally fine with this because I still get to do History!

And that's it. Thank you so much to everyone who has been on this journey with me! It has been a stressful one, I've had my ups and downs. But now I must move on to a different segment of my journey, which is A-Levels. I will continue to do GYG throughout and hopefully with dedication and determination - I should smash 'em. :wink:
It's been a pleasure to watch you grow through this thread and I'm so proud of you, you must be so chuffed with those results!
Best of luck for A-Levels, I know you're gonna ace them. Xx
Original post by misstiah_h
It's been a pleasure to watch you grow through this thread and I'm so proud of you, you must be so chuffed with those results!
Best of luck for A-Levels, I know you're gonna ace them. Xx

Thanks so much! :biggrin: Congrats on your results too, you did amazing!!!

Best of luck! :h:
Original post by CoffeeGeek

Update 24/08/2017 - GCSE RESULTS DAY!

I had only two hours sleep, woke up at 6am to see grade boundaries and just re-evaluate my life. Then I arrived at school to get my results at 9am. I just got the envelope and went straight back to the car to open it and... well.... I'm happy! I got 9A*AAAAAAB55. I also got into my school's sixth form and I'm doing the subjects I want to do. I can't do 3 A-Levels at the start, I have to do 4 but I have the option to drop down to 3 early if I want. Here are the grades for each subject:

Maths: 9
I have never ever got a 9 in Maths so it surprised me when I pulled the paper out a bit to see Maths at the top next to a "9". So I am really happy with my decision to continue with Maths because it's quite obvious that I'm exceptionally good at it! :biggrin:

Geography: A*
Wasn't expecting this at all, left all revision for this only until a few days before the exam. I went into exams not fully knowning my case studies and how things work and I somehow managed to get an A* out of it and I'm very happy about that! But not something I want to do at A-Level....!

ICT: A
I was expecting this because I thought the theory exam went nicely. But my coursework marks looks like they have been raised a bit too!

RS: A
I was expecting an A* but I'm still quite happy with an A. In Unit 3 I got a B and in Unit 2 I got an A*, so I found it slightly odd to see that and I might look into it but I remember being quite confident that I did well at the end of both exams.

Biology: A
I was expecting this after a bad start with French and then B1 (I got a B for that). For B2 I got an A and B3 an A*!!! Which I was not expecting. But an A in a Science is what I wanted and not to fussed about it since I'm not doing a Science for A-Levels nor am I interested in anything related to it.

Chemistry: A
Chemistry was probably the most chill out of all three Sciences, even though I hate that Science the most! And I got an A in each unit which is good! I believe I was one mark off an A* in C3.

Physics: A
I was expecting a B because of my poor performance in P2 and P3 with calculations. But when I was on my way to school in the car, I saw the grade boundaries for this and I reconsidered my initial expectations (because it was very low). I got an A in P1 and P3, and I got a B in P2.

For all three sciences I either got A* or A on my ISAs - which again, I'm quite happy with!

History: A
I was expecting this grade for History because I've never achieved an A* before. This is a breakdown off what I got in each unit:
Unit 1 - A
Unit 2 - B
Unit 3 - A*

I checked and I was 1 mark off an A in Unit 2, so I am thinking of getting that remarked and I could potentially have another A*. I'll have to ask and stuff but it's a possibility! But either way, I'm still very happy with this grade, I'll be even more happy if this got pushed up to an A*.

French: B
DEFINITELY NOT EXPECTED. Listening and reading was hEEEeeeEELLL - but I ended up getting an A in reading and an E in listening (this was definitely expected, none of my vocab came up I was surprised I didn't get a U). Writing and speaking I got an A and a B so my overall grade came out to be what I wanted, but not what I expected! So I am really happy with this grade :biggrin:

English Language: 5
I wasn't expecting this but I am fine with this result. I did think that the exam went better than I thought it would and I had a lot of ideas and I did put some time into it. I did ask for the marks and the HoD said he would have a look tomorrow and would notify us if they are going to send it for a remark. I just found it weird... and since I'm doing History I would have at least expected a 6 in English Language so!... Let's see...

English Literature: 5
Same as above because I actually revised for this quite a lot and had loads of ideas. This is quite a subjective area and I guess because of that loads of people get some lovely surprises when they get their results. But, again, I'm totally fine with this because I still get to do History!

And that's it. Thank you so much to everyone who has been on this journey with me! It has been a stressful one, I've had my ups and downs. But now I must move on to a different segment of my journey, which is A-Levels. I will continue to do GYG throughout and hopefully with dedication and determination - I should smash 'em. :wink:

Well done! Especially that 9 in maths, wow :O good luck with A-levels, I haven't been that active on GYG this year but I'll be sure to keep up with your A-level thread when you make it!

I'd like to draw your attention to the beautiful new thread made for my A-Level journey!:banana2:

[scroll]And it's bloody amazing. :wink:[/scroll]

(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending