The Student Room Group

How to overcome 'fomo'/stop caring so much about missing out?

My anxiety's got so bad recently that I can't stand making important decisions and just put them off and panic when I realise I haven't got time to think it through.

I'm always worried about what i'll miss out on if i do/dont do something and i feel like any big decision i make i always end up overthinking to the point i never feel satisfied with it even if it is the best decision for me. Like I've decided not to go on this great school trip during the holidays next year because I want to focus on Oxbridge applications and interview prep and at one point I felt this really was the best decision for me, but ever since then I keep thinking about what I'll miss out on and I don't even know anymore. Does anyone else relate? If so, how did you get over this?
I had an interesting training session about anxiety. I learned two things: that the worst possible outcome is never as bad as you think it will be; that you will deal with that outcome much better than you think you will.

I went through the FOMO thing a few years ago. I concluded the following: that generally speaking, going out with mates isn't actually as good as the idea of going out with mates; not going out with mates means you have time to do the things you actually need / want to do; that your mates will still be your mates even if you don't go out with them all the time.

Be rational, hang in there and stay positive.

Good luck!
"Feel the fear and do it anyway" is a good book to read for this :smile:

Good luck OP! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
My anxiety's got so bad recently that I can't stand making important decisions and just put them off and panic when I realise I haven't got time to think it through.

I'm always worried about what i'll miss out on if i do/dont do something and i feel like any big decision i make i always end up overthinking to the point i never feel satisfied with it even if it is the best decision for me. Like I've decided not to go on this great school trip during the holidays next year because I want to focus on Oxbridge applications and interview prep and at one point I felt this really was the best decision for me, but ever since then I keep thinking about what I'll miss out on and I don't even know anymore. Does anyone else relate? If so, how did you get over this?

I have the exact same problem and it has leaf me to make some stupid choices, like spending alot of money on things

Quick Reply

Latest