Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Where I work I get cash in hand (which I'm aware is illegal but it doesn't really matter to me) and each time I get paid I get a printed out payslip. I got my payslip tonight and it gave me 17.25 hours worth of pay, when I normally only do 7.5 hours per week. This has happened a couple of times before but I put it down to being backlogged for shifts I forgot to clock in for when I first started working there. Now I genuinely don't know what this is for. Do I assume it's from some shifts I can't remember? Surely it's not a simple mistake if it's printed on a payslip with my name on it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by smc720)
    Where I work I get cash in hand (which I'm aware is illegal but it doesn't really matter to me) and each time I get paid I get a printed out payslip. I got my payslip tonight and it gave me 17.25 hours worth of pay, when I normally only do 7.5 hours per week. This has happened a couple of times before but I put it down to being backlogged for shifts I forgot to clock in for when I first started working there. Now I genuinely don't know what this is for. Do I assume it's from some shifts I can't remember? Surely it's not a simple mistake if it's printed on a payslip with my name on it.
    Hi

First of all - paying cash in hand should be okay, as long as your employer is working out your income tax/national insurance and deducting it from your pay. If they've not been doing then you may want to look at talking to HMRC to make sure that you don't owe any tax. National Insurance is important as it could affect your pension if you don't pay it for years.

The right thing to do I think, in this circumstance, would be to query the pay. They could well be within their rights to ask for money back, but it would be worth querying the last pay packet if you believe that it's wrong.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.