Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

:party:JOURNEY TO VET MED 2018:party:
    --------
    katerebecca

:groovy:And so, it begins. :groovy:

Hello fellow Grow Your Graders! Welcome to my blog. I'm Kate and I am currently in Year 12. The beginning of my journey through sixth form could probably be summed up through the whole duck on water metaphor. Calm at first glance (but frantically paddling away beneath the surface :afraid:). I did *try* to keep a GYG blog through Year 11, but ended up only putting about two posts up. BUT, this year is going to be different. I have a lot more at stake now. Sigh.

So, what am I studying?
    • AQA Biology
    Spoiler:
    Show

GREEN - studied
    TOPIC 1A
    • Molecules of Life
    • Sugars
    • Polysaccharides
    • Lipids
    • Proteins
    • Enzymes
    • Factors affecting enzyme activity
    • Enzyme controlled reactions

TOPIC 1B
    • DNA and RNA
    • DNA Replication
    • ATP
    • Water
    • Inorganic Ions

TOPIC 2A
    • Eukaryotic cells and organelles
    • Prokaryotic cells and organelles
    • Analysis of cell components
    • Cell division - Mitosis
    • Investigation Mitosis

TOPIC 2B
    • Cell membranes - the basics
    • Diffusion
    • Osmosis
    • Active transport

TOPIC 2C
    • Antigens
    • The Immune Response
    • Immunity and Vaccinations
    • Antigenic Variation
    • Antibodies in Medicine
    • Interpreting data about Vaccines
    and Antibodies
    • HIV and Viruses

TOPIC 3A
    Size and Surface Area
    Gas Exchange
    Gas Exchange in Humans
    The effects of lung disease
    Interpreting lung disease data
    • Dissecting gas exchange systems

TOPIC 3B
    • Digestion and absorption
    • Haemoglobin
    • The Circulatory System
    • The Heart
    • Cardiovascular disease
    • Transport in Plants - Xylem
    • Transport in Plants - Phloem

TOPIC 4A
    • DNA
    • Genes and Chromosomes
    • RNA and Protein synthesis
    • Transcription and translation
    • The genetic code and nucleic acids

TOPIC 4B
    • Meiosis and Genetic variation
    • Mutations
    • Genetic diversity
    • Natural selection
    • The effects of selection
    • Investigating selection

TOPIC 4C
    • Classification of organisms
    • Classification using courtship behaviour
    • Classification using DNA or Proteins
    • Using Gene technologies to Assess Gene diversity
    • Investigating variation
    • Biodiversity
    • Agriculture and biodiversity

• AQA Chemistry
    • AQA History
    • MAYBE an EPQ (tbc)

What is the goal?
    AS:
    I want to achieve as best as I can this year, in order to get the predicted grades for A2 that I want. Also for my own confidence. The beginning of this year has been a huge struggle, more importantly it hasn't had a huge knock on my confidence. I really underestimated just how big the jump from GCSE to A Level would be. Right now, it is just a bit early for me to have an idea of the grades I want to achieve by the end of this year. Maybe as a baseline I'll go with all B's but a) I don't know if that's realistic and b) it'll all change as the year progresses.

A2:
    Hopefully now I will have found my footing, did good enough at AS and now my strengths and weaknesses so I can work on them. I should also have my personal statement just about ready to be sent off. At results day, I hope to get AAA. But right now, those grades couldn't feel further away.

What then?
    Well, if you couldn't tell by the title, I want to go on to study Veterinary Medicine. At the moment, the three uni's I want to go to and their grades are:

•Edinburgh University: BVM&S Veterinary Medicine (5-year programme)
    - A A A
    • Nottingham University: Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Surgery | BVMBVS
    - A A B
    • Surrey University: Veterinary Medicine and Science BVMSci
    - AAA-AAB

What did I get at GCSE?
    2A*, 5A, 3B

A* History (edexcel)
    A* Further Additional Science (AQA)
    A Core Science (AQA)
    A Additional Science (AQA)
    A Maths (edexcel)
    A English Language (IGCSE CIE I think)
    A English Literature (AQA)
    B French (AQA)
    B Business Studies (AQA)
    B Media Studies (AQA)

So, hopefully I will be updating this blog very regularly. Later today I will edit this post on my laptop and make it look a bit more presentable, as well as add extra bits and bobs. Honestly, I'm not doing this for the MacBook (although wow it would be nice) I'm doing it not only for myself but maybe to help other people too who are thinking about VetMed. There aren't really many resources out there for us.

So without further ado, let's begin!

- Kate:party:

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE NUMERO UNO ~ Saturday + Sunday (19th/20th November)

So, two weeks after starting my blog... here is the first post! Firstly, I wanted to just put a notice out there. I understand that Fox Corner wanted us to post the highs and lows of our journeys - well, 99% of this blog is most likely to be the latter (yay for A Levels and promotion of well-being!) Highs (if any at all) will probably just be classed as the "not so lows but low enough to not be good". Just to get that out of the way.

A few things have happened over the past couple of weeks which I haven't documented on here. Life has been so jam-packed in such a short space of time that finding a spare 10 minutes to whip up an update I would be *fairly* happy to post just wasn't feasible. But I was determined to start soon. Through this week, I'll do separate posts on what has been going on so far this year. Not only do I want this to be a Grow Your Grades blog, but also a detail of the extras; work experience, enrichment, application process, work... anything that can document the process, for me, of moving towards *hopefully* getting into Vet School in 2018.

So, without further ado, here's my first update:

The week approaching is hectic busy, so this weekend I tried to do a lot of preparation for it. The main thing for me is the fact I have a Biology test for both my teachers (I have two teachers for each subject I do, which is both a curse AND a blessing). One of the tests is the on the content we have done so far with that teacher. This is what I have revised so far from his content.
    (Hint: open the spoilers for pictures!) <--- ok so none of the pictures seem to want to work so these will have to be uploaded at a later date
    • Eukaryotic Cells and Organelles

(I hope the picture is big enough to see :captain:)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Attachment 597164597166

As you can see, I labelled each organelle and summarised a description of the cell (where it's found, what it looks like) and it's function within the workings of the cell.

*edit* ok I see that you actually can't see it :argh: but I basically drew out how it looked and then labelled (see above)
    • Prokaryotic Cells and Viruses
    • Analysis of Cell components
    • Cell Division - Mitosis

This revision took up most of Sunday quite honestly :ashamed2:

Today, I also finished my notes for a presentation I am giving on Tuesday. On the 20th of October, I went to Poland as part of the Lessons From Auschwitz project run by The Holocaust Educational Trust (www.het.org.uk). On the day, we visited a Jewish cemetery in the town of Oświeçim, Auschwitz and Birkenau (also known as Auschwitz II). I'll definitely do a separate post all about the project as it is really important to spread awareness of the relevance of the Holocaust in today's society and educate on just what can happen if we let prejudice and racism grow. The presentation I am giving is about my trip. In a way I'm looking forward to showing what I learnt, and I know a lot of people in my year want to know about it, but at the same time I HATE presentations, but hey, the more I do, the more my confidence will grow!

I also began editing my original post on this thread. I'm trying to make this blog look as pretty as possible! :angelblush:

Finally, I wrote up notes from my Chemistry lesson on Friday which I missed (my friend sent me her notes). Unfortunately my mum had to go into hospital, but she's out now and things are getting sorted! That lesson, they started Bond Enthalpies (which look HORRIFIC). Sigh.

Thats all for today, folks! The observant of you all my notice my blogs are written up the day after, which for me is easier (for some reason). So, see you guys tomorrow!

Kate x

:bunny:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    -------
    It's been a while 😬

A lot has happened since my first post, too much for me to whip out on here. In all honesty, entering into sixth form could not have been any more bumpy. ((Understatement alert))) Tests have went badly, I've been told my goals for the future are unrealistic and my confidence has been pretty much rock bottom.

This has helped me to decide that I no longer wish to do vet med 2018... but do Vet Med 2019 instead. I want to take a gap year, so that I can focus on getting the grades rather than spend all my time trying to get work experience. It also means I can do my driving lessons, get a job and just have a break. It's been such a weight off my shoulders to decide this.

I've decided to start afresh. I feel like I've been driving myself into the ground, running into a wall. My revision technique has been useless, mostly due to my laziness and demotivated self. I have mocks next week, which I am 2% prepared for. But I'm not going to rush my revision, because in the long run, how far is this going to get me? I'm just going to plod along. That doesn't mean I'm not going to work hard. It just means my revision will be more likely to actually go in. And if this means my mock grades aren't great, then so be it. Perseverance!!

Hopefully I'll be able to post a short update each day.

Let's do this!

Kate x

ReputationRep:
    *must edit when on laptop!!*

---- Monday 3rd January 2017 ----

Today, I really felt productive! I did some history revision, in particular focused on the Russia side of my course. Russia is definitely my favourite in terms of interest, but definitely not when it comes to the amount of content and the degree of understanding you need. One thing I have struggled with is my understanding of the different political parties that opposed the tsar/ political parties in general, and what they stood for etc. I realised I didn't have many notes explaining this, but found this incredibly useful online resource which quite honestly has saved my life!

http://ww2.ecclesbourne.derbyshire.s...%20Tsardom.doc

I revised over the background to the course, all to do with the Tsar, the social structure of Russia and WWI. Here's a few pictures of the notes I made!

*future Kate pls remember to upload photos 😬*

Today I also continued Chemistry revision. This included Polarisation, Intermolecular forces, Metallic Bonding etc.

How I revised this:
    First, I read the each section, and then condense each section down into little revision cards, like this:

*future Kate!!!*

Then I make questions in this book, folding the page in half and writing the questions on one side, cutting them, and writing the answer underneath. I got this idea from Pinterest, which I love as it keeps everything together!:

*and again, future Kate*

Finally, I finished up a topic of my biology revision. All I did was enzyme inhibitors, using the same technique as for chemistry:

*yiu know it Kate*

Tomorrow is my first day back from Christmas, and I have a heck of a lot to do! So it's an early night for me, which is why this post is quite rushed ((sorry guys)). I hope revision is going well for you and that you all had a well deserved and wonderful Holiday!

Kate x

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.