Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, a few weeks ago I moved into my university halls. There are 6 of us in a flat, 3 girls and 3 boys. During freshers, all of us got along really well, as young people tend to do when alcohol is involved. The drunken chat and being in a loud club made it feel like we were all pretty close and had a lot in common.

Gradually, as time has gone on and the hype of freshers has worn off, I have found that everyone in my flat is very different to one another. The girls particularly are both rather quiet and reserved, and seem to spend a lot of time doing work or seeing people from their course. I get along with one guy in my halls, however the rest are again never around or locked in their rooms doing work. I understand that university can be hard going, and people may not have time for partying 24/7, however it has come to the point that we do NOTHING as a flat together. We don't even sit downstairs on an evening and chill together, we don't cook together and we barely even speak. I have never felt so alone and isolated in a place where it is known to be one of the best social experiences of your life

Due to this, I have considered moving accommodation. In all fairness, the halls I have picked are one of the newer and more modern accommodations, with en suite bathrooms and lots of space. However before I moved there I was warned that these sort of halls were notorious for being a lot less social than the *****ier more grubby halls where flatmates share a kitchen and bathroom and don't even have a communal area (I feel the more grubby halls give people a greater need to bond and spend time together). The halls I have applied to move to are known for being the most social halls my university offers, and although I can't guarantee a place, I think if a place arose, I would take it. My only worry is that people will already have formed their groups and I will feel like a spare part. I do not want to get there and regret moving away from where I currently am

Also, the halls where I currently am are VERY antisocial as a whole, and there isn't a lot of mixing between flats and I feel that there is going to be little opportunity to make a friendship group with anyone outside my flat. This is obviously concerning when we need to soon start arranging a house for second year Any advice is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unirebecca1234)
    Hey, a few weeks ago I moved into my university halls. There are 6 of us in a flat, 3 girls and 3 boys. During freshers, all of us got along really well, as young people tend to do when alcohol is involved. The drunken chat and being in a loud club made it feel like we were all pretty close and had a lot in common.

Gradually, as time has gone on and the hype of freshers has worn off, I have found that everyone in my flat is very different to one another. The girls particularly are both rather quiet and reserved, and seem to spend a lot of time doing work or seeing people from their course. I get along with one guy in my halls, however the rest are again never around or locked in their rooms doing work. I understand that university can be hard going, and people may not have time for partying 24/7, however it has come to the point that we do NOTHING as a flat together. We don't even sit downstairs on an evening and chill together, we don't cook together and we barely even speak. I have never felt so alone and isolated in a place where it is known to be one of the best social experiences of your life

Due to this, I have considered moving accommodation. In all fairness, the halls I have picked are one of the newer and more modern accommodations, with en suite bathrooms and lots of space. However before I moved there I was warned that these sort of halls were notorious for being a lot less social than the *****ier more grubby halls where flatmates share a kitchen and bathroom and don't even have a communal area (I feel the more grubby halls give people a greater need to bond and spend time together). The halls I have applied to move to are known for being the most social halls my university offers, and although I can't guarantee a place, I think if a place arose, I would take it. My only worry is that people will already have formed their groups and I will feel like a spare part. I do not want to get there and regret moving away from where I currently am

Also, the halls where I currently am are VERY antisocial as a whole, and there isn't a lot of mixing between flats and I feel that there is going to be little opportunity to make a friendship group with anyone outside my flat. This is obviously concerning when we need to soon start arranging a house for second year Any advice is appreciated
    Clearly you have little to loose by moving then. However do try and look to other avenues for making friends such as coursemates and societies.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that if I did move that my new flat mates would all leave me out? I''m a paranoid person with things like this. The accommodation I've looked at would typically have around 10-14 girls per floor/flat

thank you for your reply

ReputationRep:
    honestly I think you should stay, you don't have a problem with your flatmates you're just not best friends and that's a better position than a lot of people to be in, you should also bear in mind that anyone who vacates their room mid-year has done so for a reason, sometimes that's personal but sometimes it's flatmates who are horrible to live with

I would focus on making friends on your course and in societies

ReputationRep:
    I understand this however I've made friends on my course and they have their own plans for a house next year with their own flats. I know I like the people I am with however we have nothing in common and I wouldn't chose to live with them next year. And as I said my halls are so antisocial, you've got more chance of seeing a blue moon than you do meeting people from other flats in my accommodation

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.