student004
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm in year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and I want to do a Physics/ Physics and Maths course at uni. What do I need to do becuase I'm getting Cs and Ds at this point
username2471155
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by student004)
I'm in year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and I want to do a Physics/ Physics and Maths course at uni. What do I need to do becuase I'm getting Cs and Ds at this point
Do past questions for what your learning. For maths past papers are really helpful.
student004
Rep:
?
(Original post by Illimitable)
Do past questions for what your learning. For maths past papers are really helpful.
Yeah im not failing maths but possibly physics and chemistry
atomicjellyfish
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did that at AS! I'm now in A2 and I still do everything except fmaths (got an A at AS but I'm applying for medicine so no point doing it at A2 even though I loved it ;-

As the previous person said, maths and fmaths just need loads of practise questions, especially for mechanics.
I always think I'm better at bio than physics, but I always end up doing better in the physics exams so... But I tend to revise for these by doing past paper questions and making flash cards on literally everything that can be fit on a card. Bio is pretty much straight up learning facts, while with physics its useful to initially build up a base knowledge and then murder all past paper questions 'cause it's mainly applied knowledge and not just straight up regurgitation of facts like bio.
Chemistry I personally find the easiest, and all you really need to do is make sure you understand the material as it's being taught so you can revise it easily later. Past paper questions are helpful (especially for maths questions), but I don't do many of these as they tend to very straightforward (just my personal opinion).

The main thing you can do to help at the moment is just learning the material ahead of class (by going ahead in the textbook and doing the questions etc to make sure you understand the material before class), because this really helps you to remember the material as lessons become simple revision.
For example, I'm doing C3 at the moment, and I did the first 7 chapters in the summer before we started learning them properly in September. I then finished the 8th chapter while learning the previous chapters in class, so in this way I already know all the material and can just start revising, as well as learning C4.

For subjects like physics and bio, it can also be useful to do some reading outside of the topic because often the textbook leaves out what the exam board may think is complicated, but what actually simplifies the material if you learn it, leading to a more logical way of understanding the material.

Sorry for the long answer! Good luck!
username2471155
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah im not failing maths but possibly physics and chemistry
Still use past papers. Use methods which help you remember better.
student004
Rep:
?
(Original post by atomicjellyfish)
I did that at AS! I'm now in A2 and I still do everything except fmaths (got an A at AS but I'm applying for medicine so no point doing it at A2 even though I loved it ;-

As the previous person said, maths and fmaths just need loads of practise questions, especially for mechanics.
I always think I'm better at bio than physics, but I always end up doing better in the physics exams so... But I tend to revise for these by doing past paper questions and making flash cards on literally everything that can be fit on a card. Bio is pretty much straight up learning facts, while with physics its useful to initially build up a base knowledge and then murder all past paper questions 'cause it's mainly applied knowledge and not just straight up regurgitation of facts like bio.
Chemistry I personally find the easiest, and all you really need to do is make sure you understand the material as it's being taught so you can revise it easily later. Past paper questions are helpful (especially for maths questions), but I don't do many of these as they tend to very straightforward (just my personal opinion).

The main thing you can do to help at the moment is just learning the material ahead of class (by going ahead in the textbook and doing the questions etc to make sure you understand the material before class), because this really helps you to remember the material as lessons become simple revision.
For example, I'm doing C3 at the moment, and I did the first 7 chapters in the summer before we started learning them properly in September. I then finished the 8th chapter while learning the previous chapters in class, so in this way I already know all the material and can just start revising, as well as learning C4.

For subjects like physics and bio, it can also be useful to do some reading outside of the topic because often the textbook leaves out what the exam board may think is complicated, but what actually simplifies the material if you learn it, leading to a more logical way of understanding the material.

Sorry for the long answer! Good luck!
You actually answered my question properly so you dont need to apologise. and Thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (64)
13.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.62%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.49%
No - I live at home during term anyway (137)
28.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise