Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and I want to do a Physics/ Physics and Maths course at uni. What do I need to do becuase I'm getting Cs and Ds at this point
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by student004)
    I'm in year 12 and I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and I want to do a Physics/ Physics and Maths course at uni. What do I need to do becuase I'm getting Cs and Ds at this point
    Do past questions for what your learning. For maths past papers are really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illimitable)
    Do past questions for what your learning. For maths past papers are really helpful.
    Yeah im not failing maths but possibly physics and chemistry

ReputationRep:
    I did that at AS! I'm now in A2 and I still do everything except fmaths (got an A at AS but I'm applying for medicine so no point doing it at A2 even though I loved it ;-

As the previous person said, maths and fmaths just need loads of practise questions, especially for mechanics.
    I always think I'm better at bio than physics, but I always end up doing better in the physics exams so... But I tend to revise for these by doing past paper questions and making flash cards on literally everything that can be fit on a card. Bio is pretty much straight up learning facts, while with physics its useful to initially build up a base knowledge and then murder all past paper questions 'cause it's mainly applied knowledge and not just straight up regurgitation of facts like bio.
    Chemistry I personally find the easiest, and all you really need to do is make sure you understand the material as it's being taught so you can revise it easily later. Past paper questions are helpful (especially for maths questions), but I don't do many of these as they tend to very straightforward (just my personal opinion).

The main thing you can do to help at the moment is just learning the material ahead of class (by going ahead in the textbook and doing the questions etc to make sure you understand the material before class), because this really helps you to remember the material as lessons become simple revision.
    For example, I'm doing C3 at the moment, and I did the first 7 chapters in the summer before we started learning them properly in September. I then finished the 8th chapter while learning the previous chapters in class, so in this way I already know all the material and can just start revising, as well as learning C4.

For subjects like physics and bio, it can also be useful to do some reading outside of the topic because often the textbook leaves out what the exam board may think is complicated, but what actually simplifies the material if you learn it, leading to a more logical way of understanding the material.

Sorry for the long answer! Good luck!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah im not failing maths but possibly physics and chemistry
    Still use past papers. Use methods which help you remember better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomicjellyfish)
    I did that at AS! I'm now in A2 and I still do everything except fmaths (got an A at AS but I'm applying for medicine so no point doing it at A2 even though I loved it ;-

As the previous person said, maths and fmaths just need loads of practise questions, especially for mechanics.
    I always think I'm better at bio than physics, but I always end up doing better in the physics exams so... But I tend to revise for these by doing past paper questions and making flash cards on literally everything that can be fit on a card. Bio is pretty much straight up learning facts, while with physics its useful to initially build up a base knowledge and then murder all past paper questions 'cause it's mainly applied knowledge and not just straight up regurgitation of facts like bio.
    Chemistry I personally find the easiest, and all you really need to do is make sure you understand the material as it's being taught so you can revise it easily later. Past paper questions are helpful (especially for maths questions), but I don't do many of these as they tend to very straightforward (just my personal opinion).

The main thing you can do to help at the moment is just learning the material ahead of class (by going ahead in the textbook and doing the questions etc to make sure you understand the material before class), because this really helps you to remember the material as lessons become simple revision.
    For example, I'm doing C3 at the moment, and I did the first 7 chapters in the summer before we started learning them properly in September. I then finished the 8th chapter while learning the previous chapters in class, so in this way I already know all the material and can just start revising, as well as learning C4.

For subjects like physics and bio, it can also be useful to do some reading outside of the topic because often the textbook leaves out what the exam board may think is complicated, but what actually simplifies the material if you learn it, leading to a more logical way of understanding the material.

Sorry for the long answer! Good luck!
    You actually answered my question properly so you dont need to apologise. and Thank you so much!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.