Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my EPQ which is analysis of E.M Forster's 'A Passage to India' (as I want to do English at university). Obviously if you are familiar with the book it is about British colonialism in India, and all the conflicts that come with it. I was planning on doing a questionnaire for my primary source but realistically I don't think it would work as not everyone is going to have the historical knowledge to be able to complete it. I am going to use secondary sources such as books, documentaries and articles and I was wondering I would still be able to get an A/A* without primary sources?
    Many thanks for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    I did my EPQ with AQA, and I got an A for it even though I didn't use any primary sources of information (I only used books, websites, documentaries etc). It's good to use primary sources if you can, but it's not essential

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I did my EPQ with AQA, and I got an A for it even though I didn't use any primary sources of information (I only used books, websites, documentaries etc). It's good to use primary sources if you can, but it's not essential
    I am with AQA too thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by existential)
    I am with AQA too thank you very much!
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    What's a primary source

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGBF)
    What's a primary source
    A primary source is anything which you create or do yourself, such as composing a questionnaire or doing an experiment, where you produce the information yourself. Secondary sources are things like books, journals and websites, where someone else has done research and produced the information

ReputationRep:
    No problem
    If you don't mind me asking, how much evaluation do you have to do for each source and where do you do this? Could you do it in your bibliography or in the plan or somewhere separate? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, how much evaluation do you have to do for each source and where do you do this? Could you do it in your bibliography or in the plan or somewhere separate? Thanks
    I didn't really do much source evaluation, I only commented on the reliability of my sources briefly (in one or two paragraphs) at the end of my conclusion

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really do much source evaluation, I only commented on the reliability of my sources briefly (in one or two paragraphs) at the end of my conclusion
    Ah okay did you do a lot of evaluation on the changes you made throughout the process? Sorry to ask aha but did you do a 5,000 word essay?

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay did you do a lot of evaluation on the changes you made throughout the process? Sorry to ask aha but did you do a 5,000 word essay?
    I didn't actually make many changes honestly, the most major change I made was slightly altering the format of my essay, due to the fact that some of the less significant topics I was researching had very little information about them. I explained why the change was necessary, but I didn't go into great detail about it.

Yes I did

ReputationRep:
    I didn't actually make many changes honestly, the most major change I made was slightly altering the format of my essay, due to the fact that some of the less significant topics I was researching had very little information about them. I explained why the change was necessary, but I didn't go into great detail about it.

Yes I did
    Okay final question haha (sorry for all of these!) how many sources did you use?

ReputationRep:
    Okay final question haha (sorry for all of these!) how many sources did you use?
    Don't worry about it, I get messages asking about EPQs all the time

Books: 2
    Websites: 11
    TV programmes: 2

Sources for images and maps: 8

Other sources not directly referenced in the essay: 2

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, I get messages asking about EPQs all the time

Books: 2
    Websites: 11
    TV programmes: 2

Sources for images and maps: 8

Other sources not directly referenced in the essay: 2
    Thank you! You have been very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! You have been very helpful
    You're welcome, if you think of any other questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome, if you think of any other questions just ask
    Thanks

Btw can the EPQ essay extent beyond 5k words?Or must it be in 5000 words and below

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGBF)
    Thanks

Btw can the EPQ essay extent beyond 5k words?Or must it be in 5000 words and below
    Generally your EPQ should be somewhere between 4500 and 5500 words, but try not to go above 5500 because your EPQ should be fairly concise and stick to the topic, not waffly

ReputationRep:
    Generally your EPQ should be somewhere between 4500 and 5500 words, but try not to go above 5500 because your EPQ should be fairly concise and stick to the topic, not waffly
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGBF)
    Thanks!
    No problem

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.