Turn on thread page Beta

Noise Hypersensitivity at university watch

ReputationRep:
    I am hypersensitive to noise (causes me a lot of stress) and also have a chronic pain condition, which made me fall into depression for a period and I had to take a year's interruption from uni. Now I am back to take my final year and I try to cope with my issues and take a positive approach to life and my studies. I moved into a new house with 5 other students, all of them really nice and friendly. However I am experiencing problems with my noise sensitivity.

The house to the right of mine is divided into 3 flats and at first when I heard they were rented to non-students I was happy because ordinary working people weren't likely to make noise at all hours. Noise (especially shouting, laughing, any loud louds like that, or music) makes me feel extremely anxious and if it happens at night I am likely to have a panic attack. I know this isnt normal and its my issue, its not the fault of other people and I understand that within reason.

I say 'within reason' because the woman who rents the top floor flat next door to my room (so the other side of my bedroom wall) makes a lot of noise, always after 10:30, often until 3 or 4 AM. Mostly its her shouting (like she's on the phone or skyping?), laughing in a really loud high pitched way, what sounds like running around her flat slamming doors and clattering pots and pans in her kitchen. I really don't know what her deal is, this is all week during weekdays as well, its worse on weekends because her friends come over as well. I don't know whether she works, I did consider maybe she works shifts because that's my only explanation for why she is quiet until 10:30 then really loud all night.

I don't know how to cope with this. Having to go to sleep listening to music is far from ideal and I lose a lot of sleep. I know some might suggest that I complain but I dont feel able to for a few reasons, 1. I have never seen my neighbours so I feel too intimidated, 2. I'm aware my housemates probably annoy with noise sometimes so it would be hypocritical to go round and complain about her, and 3. (which is the main thing) I think my noise sensitivity makes me feel this is worse than it is. Sure my housemate hears her too and finds her annoying, but he just sleeps through it whilst I have a panic attack and feel like I will be sick.

I know that sounds extreme and it is really, its a ridiculously extreme reaction to someone making noise at night, and thats why I need help really - what can I do? How can I cope with this over sensitivity? I have a presentation this week and I feel sick eith anxiety that I will be up all night and I will fail it. I also have weird bouts of anxiety about this, worrying irrationally that she will start playing loud music I really cant sleep through (this happened in halls)

So does anyone have any advice about noise sensitivity and how to cope at uni? Thanks and sorry this post is quite long.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by cwilmott1995)
    I am hypersensitive to noise (causes me a lot of stress) and also have a chronic pain condition, which made me fall into depression for a period and I had to take a year's interruption from uni. Now I am back to take my final year and I try to cope with my issues and take a positive approach to life and my studies. I moved into a new house with 5 other students, all of them really nice and friendly. However I am experiencing problems with my noise sensitivity.

The house to the right of mine is divided into 3 flats and at first when I heard they were rented to non-students I was happy because ordinary working people weren't likely to make noise at all hours. Noise (especially shouting, laughing, any loud louds like that, or music) makes me feel extremely anxious and if it happens at night I am likely to have a panic attack. I know this isnt normal and its my issue, its not the fault of other people and I understand that within reason.

I say 'within reason' because the woman who rents the top floor flat next door to my room (so the other side of my bedroom wall) makes a lot of noise, always after 10:30, often until 3 or 4 AM. Mostly its her shouting (like she's on the phone or skyping?), laughing in a really loud high pitched way, what sounds like running around her flat slamming doors and clattering pots and pans in her kitchen. I really don't know what her deal is, this is all week during weekdays as well, its worse on weekends because her friends come over as well. I don't know whether she works, I did consider maybe she works shifts because that's my only explanation for why she is quiet until 10:30 then really loud all night.

I don't know how to cope with this. Having to go to sleep listening to music is far from ideal and I lose a lot of sleep. I know some might suggest that I complain but I dont feel able to for a few reasons, 1. I have never seen my neighbours so I feel too intimidated, 2. I'm aware my housemates probably annoy with noise sometimes so it would be hypocritical to go round and complain about her, and 3. (which is the main thing) I think my noise sensitivity makes me feel this is worse than it is. Sure my housemate hears her too and finds her annoying, but he just sleeps through it whilst I have a panic attack and feel like I will be sick.

I know that sounds extreme and it is really, its a ridiculously extreme reaction to someone making noise at night, and thats why I need help really - what can I do? How can I cope with this over sensitivity? I have a presentation this week and I feel sick eith anxiety that I will be up all night and I will fail it. I also have weird bouts of anxiety about this, worrying irrationally that she will start playing loud music I really cant sleep through (this happened in halls)

So does anyone have any advice about noise sensitivity and how to cope at uni? Thanks and sorry this post is quite long.
    I'm sorry you're in this position. I can imagine it's very difficult for you. Have you tried using earplugs, and maybe a fan in the room or something? While I don't suffer with noise sensitivity, I do live in a bit of a rough area and find that this dulls a lot of the noise that would usually wake me up, or disturb me in whatever way. Definitely talk to your uni about it and see if there's any support they can give you with this particular situation. Have you found somewhere quiet you can go when it's a bit too much? Maybe the library? I know it's no good for at night, but at least there's somewhere to retreat during the day that might help.

Would your housemates maybe help you in approaching your neighbour? She probably doesn't realise she's being as loud as she is

I hope you find some relief soon :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same here, I can't really give much advice but you're not alone.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.