Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? y/N
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Y/N
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word?
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? Y/N
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? Y/N
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Y/N
    Asking out of curiosity...
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? Y/N

ReputationRep:
    1) not really
    2) yes
    3) nope
    4) no, not unless it was something obvious that they couldnt do
    5) definitely not
    6) yes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? not sure, my sister is disabled

2) Would you befriend a disabled person? yes

3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? well, all people have different feelings anyway

4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? only in ways they need to be treated differently, if they need extra help with things

5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? no

6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? no

EDIT: I missed Q7! Yes, I have pushed a wheelchair before. I can do 2 at a time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? Positive
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? Y/N
    7) Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? not sure, my sister is disabled

3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? well, all people have different feelings anyway

4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? only in ways they need to be treated differently, if they need extra help with things

5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? no

6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? no
    My sister was disabled for 3-4 months and lost any friends she had,because back then she was diagnosed with ALL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? Y
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Y
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? I dont
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? Only if I could help them do something they couldnt otherwise do.
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? N
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Dont know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    1) Nope
    2) Off course
    3) Depends on his disability
    4)No
    5) Id be normal with him , sad , but normal
    6) Yes , if his disability is sumthing like hes mute and i dont know sign language
    7)I was in a wheelchair myslef after crashing my motorbike in pakistan
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by zazy)
    My sister was disabled for 3-4 months and lost any friends she had,because back then she was diagnosed with ALL.
    What's ALL? My sister had scoliosis (curvature of the spine), and had lots of operations that went wrong. I think she lost her friends because she couldn't go out more than just because she was disabled.

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? No but only because I haven't come into contact with one on that level. I'm pretty sure I would given the opportunity. I would judge the person on their friend material as I would a non-disabled person.
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? As above.
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? To an extent, you can never understand anyones feelings as you're not them. However I imagine life would be quite different, you'd wonder how it would be to be non-disabled and spend your life feeling different.
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? I'm more likely to smile at a disabled person in the street or wherever. I know people pretending they haven't seen them or just starring isn't nice so smiling lets you satisfy your curiosity, but is far more positive.
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? Of course not. Clearly this is the time when they need you most, and it isn't about you.
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Well I guess you're less likely to meet one than a non disabled person so in that sense yes. However if you are placed in an environment with a disabled person then for me you sort of (possibly wrongly) know they are not going to be overally *****y or not nice.
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? No, I would though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    What's ALL? My sister had scoliosis (curvature of the spine), and had lots of operations that went wrong. I think she lost her friends because she couldn't go out more than just because she was disabled.
    Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia, she was too weak too walk so was confined to a wheelchair until she'd regain her strength meaning that she lost her independance and i had to push her around(heavy)..during that time she lost any friends she had...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word?
    1)yes
    2e)r...yes
    3)no, not all of them....just one word?
    4)no, unless they wanted me to
    5)no way
    6)for some people. not for me. um...well I guess it depends on our personalities
    7)yes

ReputationRep:
    1) No
    2) Yes
    3) No- i have no idea what it's like
    4) I would try not to patronise, but i probably would (maybe act nicer towards them)
    5) No- of course not
    6) No
    7) No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia, she was too weak too walk so was confined to a wheelchair until she'd regain her strength meaning that she lost her independance and i had to push her around(heavy)..during that time she lost any friends she had...
    she shouldnt bother ... ppl like tht arent really friends , i remember when i got stuck in a wheelchair only 3 ppl actually helped me apart from my family .. the rest thought i faked it coz i was in a diff country ..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by zazy)
    Yeah, my sister was in a wheelchair too. She can walk now, but not far, and her back hurts after a while. And she can only wear flat shoes!

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? yep
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? yep
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? no
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? why the hell would you do that?
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? why would it be?
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? not that i remember

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? Never have.

3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? Well they probably feel really different and worthless.

4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? No, unless its to do with making them comfortable.

5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? Never would.

6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? No.

1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? yes breifly when i was in a rehabilitation unit for a few months after a brain haemorraghe
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Yes
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word?yes because i was temporarily disabled over a few months(i lost the use of my right side)
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? Not because they were disabled, although when i was in hospital at first i didn't want to eat dinner with the other paitents because when i first arrived lots of older people where having dinner and being fed and stuff and i suppose i just didnt want to accept that i was there and needed to be there. But i eventually started to chat to people and make friends..
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? No
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Yes
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? Yes and been pushed in one

last year i lost the use of my right side for a few months, but first i regained my speech properly, then my arm, then eventually i could walk again. I was in a neurological rehabilitation unit at hospital for a couple of months which to be honest was pretty grim. by the time i was there i could do things for myself and was ok at a bit of walking but i found it difficult living there at first because most people there were a lot older and had suffered strokes..it was an eye opening experience though...and when i came home i was in a wheelchair because walking distances was far. Every night my dad or mum would take me out in it and it was really wierd because a few people do stare and going around ASDA and my local town center was a nightmare really...only because being so low down people get in the way..because of being unable to walk or use my arm properly my friends didnt see me really apart from at my house so it was up to my parents and boyfriend to take me out..

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? yes

3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? yes - but it is very difficult trying to place yourself in their position let alone think of a word

4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? Depending on the disability I would adapt

5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? Of course not! I'd stay with them MORE!

6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Yes it is quite difficult - needs a lot of patience and tolerance

7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? All the time

(My sister is disabled)

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? Yes

2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Yes

3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? I would say that I do cos i spent a week with disabled people, but i can't think of a word.

4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? No

5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? No, I'd try and help them through their final days

6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Yes

7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? Yep, quite alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    1) yes
    2) yes
    3)I don't think we can ever understand the feelings of someoneelse, without walking in their shoes, but I think I have some understanding. In my daughters case, I would describe her feelings as happy and carefree.
    4)No (within reason of course) I try to treat my daughter as a regular child with no limitations, but sometimes it is unavoidable due to the nature of her disability.
    5)Of course not!
    6)No, not in my experience.
    7)yes, more than once.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.