Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? Yes

2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Yes

3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? How can you if you are not disabled?

4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? Yes, because they sometimes need different treatment, eg. on trains. No use pretending they can get about easily and do normal stuff if they can't.

5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? No

6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Depends on the type of disability, eg. someone in a wheelchair/blind/deaf, not really. Someone mentally handicapped yes.

Asking out of curiosity...
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? y/N
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Y/N
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word?
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? Y/N
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? Y/N
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Y/N
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? Y/N
    1) No.
    2) Yes, I hope that I would.
    3) No, I don't think I do.
    4) Yes, I doubt I could help it (although it depends on the disability).
    5) I really hope I wouldn't.
    6) Yes.
    7) Yes. My friend sleep-walked out of his third storey window and broke both his feet.

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? yep
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? as above
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? nope couldn't begin to imagine
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? i'd try not to but i probably would and sometimes you have to
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? course not
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? yes probably
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? no

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? y
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Y
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? They feel they are normal. They are normal! They have everyday regular feelings! Plus a bit of frustration at idiots who think they should be treated differently!
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? N
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? N
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? N
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? Y

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word?
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? Y/N
    1 no
    2 yes
    3 no but i would try
    4 no
    5 no
    6 no
    7 no but i've been in one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? N
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Y
    It depends on the situation, as they wouldn't feel the same all the time.
    I would treat them differently in terms of their specific needs e.g., I wouldn't whisper to someone hard of hearing.
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? N
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person?
    It would depend on their disability and how it affects their social interaction/ whether we had common interests etc.,
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? N

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) As much as I understand anyone else's feeling which is to say not really
    4) Possibly. I do try to humor the people I know with mental disabilities a bit more, and be more patient with them.
    5) Definitely not
    6) Depends on the disability. e.g. I can't do sign language so it would be harder to communicate with someone who is deaf. However that's not an excuse for a lack of effort imo.
    7) Yes, quite a few times. Although I've been pushed more, and I find people do treat you differently. People staring can be absolutely maddening.

Interesting thread idea btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    1- no
    2- yes
    3- no
    4- yes
    5- no
    6- yes
    7- no

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? yes, he was my godfather.
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? obviously...
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? I have no idea what he was feeling, and I can't even begin to imagine.
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? not unless it was something obvious that they couldn't do, like someone in a wheelchair having to go up stairs, if you know what I mean. And I wouldn't be able to communicate with a deaf person very well. So it depends on the disability.
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? most definately not
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? it shouldn't make a difference in my opinion, but I think it is, which is a shame.
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? YES
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? YES
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? SAD
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? YES
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? NO
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? NO
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? YES

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? y althought that relly depends on what you class as disabled..do we mean in a wheel chair or just disabled.
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Y i think...your question is quite confusing...because it seems as though your suggesting that you;d befriend a disabled person because they were disabled..
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? i dont understand...but frustrated is how my mate felt
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? Y you have to. but then i belive you should treat all people differntly..you just arnt normally conscious of doing it.
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? no...who would do such a thing
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Y

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? Yes, well depends how you define disabled.
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Yep.
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? Probably can't.
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? Perhaps subconsiously.
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? Course not.
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Nope.
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? Quite a lot of times, volunteering for an old peoples home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? y althought that relly depends on what you class as disabled..do we mean in a wheel chair or just disabled.
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? Y i think...your question is quite confusing...because it seems as though your suggesting that you;d befriend a disabled person because they were disabled..
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? i dont understand...but frustrated is how my mate felt
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? Y you have to. but then i belive you should treat all people differntly..you just arnt normally conscious of doing it.
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? no...who would do such a thing
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? Y

love Katy ***
    The reason i asked the questions in such a manner was because you may find an extremely positive and caring person that is disabled and terminally ill but many others would avoid them because they are scared of them..such people do really exist,i'm not being funny and i know of many people who abandoned their friends when they discovered that the friend didnt have long to live.(actually too many), and because i have dealt with many people that suffer from cystic fibrosis or various forms of cancer,etc i have noticed people do treat them differently, which really hurts them.They want to be treated just like anyone else and some of them feel imprisoned,isolated and useless (asked a few)
    finally, you'd be surprised to know there are many people out there with a rather negative view towards disabled people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    1) Have you ever befriended a disabled person before? yup
    2) Would you befriend a disabled person? yup
    3)Do you understand a disabled person's feelings and if so describe it in a word? no, i don't think so, coz i'm not one.
    4)Would you treat a disabled person differently? yes
    5) If you had a friend and later you found out they dont have long to live would you leave them? no
    6) Do you think it's harder to befriend a disabled person? nope
    7)Have you pushed a wheelchair before? Yes

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.