Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got a high A at GCSE and I would like to get A/A* at history A level. How should I go about this regarding revision, plans and exams?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same.

ReputationRep:
    Same;
    But what I've been told:
    -Wide reading
    -Detailed notes
    -Exam structure

ReputationRep:
    I went from a D at AS to an A at A-level in history and i'd definitely say the most important thing is to do past paper questions; it really made all the difference. What I did a lot was write a detailed plan for a question and memorise it then a couple days later write the plan again but with less detail and keep doing that until you only have prompts. Then write the essay. I made the mistake at AS of just making notes from the textbook and memorising it for the exam. It wasn't effective at all because knowing all that information isn't helpful if you don't know how to put it in an essay.

Hope this helps!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    im doing history too but with a new spec so i dont have a lot of past papers to go off on except last years. i've done 3 essays already since september and have been getting 18 ish out of 30 which is the first mark into a B i think or A i cant remember (boudnaries are quite low). my teacher tells me to improve by:
    constantly referring back to the question using the key word
    try to not do 2 sided answers on Qs like ''how far do you agree...'' even if it screams 2 sided (well that's just my exam board)
    told me to continue extra reading, the books are thick and ridden with just words so the transition from picture books and small paragraphs in gcse to this level of reading takes some time to adjust to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TsarBucks1)
    I went from a D at AS to an A at A-level in history and i'd definitely say the most important thing is to do past paper questions; it really made all the difference. What I did a lot was write a detailed plan for a question and memorise it then a couple days later write the plan again but with less detail and keep doing that until you only have prompts. Then write the essay. I made the mistake at AS of just making notes from the textbook and memorising it for the exam. It wasn't effective at all because knowing all that information isn't helpful if you don't know how to put it in an essay.

Hope this helps!
    Which modules?

Also did you use textbooks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TsarBucks1)

Hope this helps!
    Yes this really does! Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ihatePE;68396842]im doing history too but with a new spec so i dont have a lot of past papers to go off on except last years. i've done 3 essays already since september and have been getting 18 ish out of 30 which is the first mark into a B i think or A i cant remember (boudnaries are quite low). my teacher tells me to improve by:
    constantly referring back to the question using the key word
    try to not do 2 sided answers on Qs like ''how far do you agree...'' even if it screams 2 sided (well that's just my exam board)
    told me to continue extra reading, the books are thick and ridden with just words so the transition from picture books and small paragraphs in gcse to this level of reading takes some time to adjust to[/QUOTEA

Ah thank you! great advice

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.