Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

My name is Ewa and I am the Course Ambassador for the Health and Education School.

I am a final year student of the BA Interpreting and Translation at MDX and I can give you all the information with regards to this course.

I am also available to answer any questions about the following MDX courses:

Early Childhood Studies
    Midwifery
    Nursing
    Social Work
    Vet Nursing

I hope to hear from you soon!

All the best,
    Ewa

ReputationRep:
    Here are the general Q&A's for the BA Interpreting and Translation course at Middlesex University:

Does the teaching happens in big classes?

No, the groups are fairly small,up to 20 people in one class.

Will I have many exams?

There is only one exam a year, however you will be assessed regularly by doing many interesting translations, writing essays or preparing oral presentations.

Will I spend a lot of money on the books?
    Thankfully no! As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.

Will I have school everyday?

The classes are usually no more than 2-3 times a week. But you will have to do regular self study, using the materials provided by the tutor.

Is the nature of the course practical or academic?

The nature of the course is mainly practical, there will be many group exercises, translations of various texts and group discussions. Students can also practice Conference Interpreting in the real life interpreting booths!

ReputationRep:
    My week at Middlesex University...

It was an extremely busy week for me and I loved it! I have finally managed to secure my Internship as it is compulsory in order to pass one of my modules. And with the great help of MDX Employability Centre I could successfully fill out all that confusing paperwork ;-) Also this week I had my first ever SLA session with first year students and I can honestly say I was really impressed with their involvement and work- well done!!!! Together with my tutor we have introduced the idea of E-Portfolios. The idea behind this portfolio is to give student a platform to articulate and evidence their skills and capabilities they develop during the programme of study. Of course each student had a chance to create a profile during the training and we as an SLA's will be there to support them with the further development of their profiles. Working for Middlesex is not only fun but also helps you in learning all the important transferable skills that will be useful in any future career.

ReputationRep:
    This week we had a Reading Week! What is a reading week? Well it’s a time where students don’t have to go to university so they can catch up with uni work. As I am a final year student I have spent most of my ‘free’ time, doing research for my dissertation. I love that our Sheppard library is open 24hrs a week, just because evening is the only time I can actually go there. Working part time and doing my internship during the day means that I can only study in the evenings and weekends. So having a 24hrs library is very convenient. As I didn’t go to university all week I couldn’t meet with my tutor to discuss the dissertation, but this wasn’t a problem because I could talk to him over the Skype. Final year is very stressful indeed but knowing that I can get all the support from my tutors sets my mind at rest.

Ewa

Middlesex Course Ambassador

BA Interpreting and Translation

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I hope that your week was as cool and relaxed as mine. You can’t believe I’m saying this!? Well yes it is possible to have a quiet week at university of course as long as you stay on top of everything. I don’t know about you, but I love that feeling when I don’t have to worry about deadline that is approaching fast just because I have finished everything beforehand.

But don’t get me wrong sometimes I do leave things to the last minute, at the end of the day I just like any other student ;-) I have finally managed to find the right balance between studying and doing my internship so one less worry on my head. Now I need to concentrate more on my dissertation as the deadline to submit the Pilot Project is fast approaching!

I have to say that the highlight on my week was working at the Middlesex Open Day on Saturday. I absolutely love working as Student Ambassador at MDX!!! Not only it is an fantastic opportunity to gain some work experience but also to learn a lot of transferable skills which later you can use in your future career. During the Open Day I was doing the Meet and Greet of all the people who came to Middlesex and as I am actually called by my friends the little miss chatterbox I fulfilled my role perfectly ;-) Apologies to those who found me a little bit annoying ( not sure what are the chances of you reading this post heheh)

All in all, a really good week and I’m very excited for the next 2 weeks at Middlesex University because our uni will be transformed into our own special Winter Wonderland- watch the space!!!

Ewa,

Course Ambassador for MDX BA Interpreting and Translation

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I hope you had a great week.

Here are some news about my busy but fun student life. The week started very relaxed. One of our tutors had birthday this week and he decided to bring for everyone some chocolates to celebrate it. The reason why he made this wonderful gesture is to share with us the cultural customs from his country. And I must mention that as a student of Interpreting and Translation you will learn a lot about cultural aspects of many countries, as it is essential in your professional work. Translation is about building the bridge between one culture and another, is about helping people to communicate by transferring the message from one language to another and lastly is about helping people to understand one another considering that they might come from very different cultural backgrounds.

Studying at Middlesex University is an amazing experience because we get to learn new things in many creative ways. I love the freedom of open discussion in class and practical exercises. This week for example I had to translate an extract from real article published in popular British newspaper, it was a big challenge form me, as the article was about Oxbridge and its customs (another new thing I've learned) Oxbridge is a blend word of Cambridge and Oxford University's. While translating my text I had to do an extensive research in order to understand it myself and transfer it into another culture and language more precisely.

Now something more fun:-) This week our university had a official Christmas Lights switch on and I can honestly say that the Christmas Tree in the Quad looks stunning, especially in the evening. Now I feel like Holidays are coming!!!!!!

See you next week!

Ewa,

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! How was your week?

I hope that it was more interesting than mine… I must say my entire time is dedicated to finally complete and submit my Dissertation Pilot Project. I have to be honest with you, final year of university is not easy but as long as you get the right support (I’m fortunate because my tutor is absolutely amazing and he is always keen to help me with any problem I have) and most importantly the right attitude (do not procrastinate, if you have something to write/research-do it, do not (under any circumstances) leave it to the last minute, as it will cause unnecessary panic. Trust me I know from my own experience. Ever since I started doing everything systematically, I realised that I am definitely more relaxed, sociable and I am actually doing some work!!! I know- AMAZING. Christmas Holidays are coming and I do not want to end up sitting in my room writing last minute essays whilst my family is downstairs having jolly time. I hope that I have managed to inspire you somehow , please treat this as a little wakeup call from a fellow student who have similar experiences. Have a great and productive week!!!

Ewa,

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Are you as excited as I am for the Christmas break!?

This week I have noticed an massive exodus of students who travelled back to their homes to spend Christmas with their families. The university is ever so quiet, this just show how international Middlesex University became and I cannot help to worry what will happen after the Brexit. Will it be as empty and quiet, if only people with British nationality/passport will be able to study there? If yes then I am afraid this will be an end…. I am also flying to spend Christmas with my family and I actually bought some Christmas gifts from our Middlesex University Christmas Market. This year it was astonishing ,there were stalls with handmade jewellery (made by our talented art&design students) , accessories, art posters and even clothes. I must say, it saved me a massive amount of time as I didn’t have to go to the ever so busy and famous Oxford Street to do my Christmas shopping. Everything I wanted to buy for my family and friends was on the Middlesex Christmas Market !!! Finally I can relax, I have submitted all my course work and all I need to do over Christmas is some reading and research for my dissertation. Happy Times!!

P.S ONLY ONE WEEK TILL CHRISTMASSSS!!!!!!

Ewa,

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow students!

I hope all of you had an amazing Christmas break…

I want to wish you Happy and Successful New Year 2017!!! May all your plans and dreams come true!

Now let’s get back to the reality. With the new year come new responsibilities and for those of us who are in the final year of university we have something to look forward to – GRADUATION!!!!!!!

But before that, a lot of sleepless nights, stress, hard work and preparation. I can only imagine the relief I will feel, after submitting my dissertation- at the moment it is all I can think of everyday…

Over Christmas I have managed to only half of my planned work for my dissertation and I’m hoping to catch up before returning to university after Christmas break next week. I am yet to receive the feedback for my Dissertation Pilot Project from my tutor and I hope he will like my theory.

As soon as I will receive so called ‘green light’ from my tutor I am getting full on my dissertation.

Now as we entered 2017 I feel very excited and motivated. And I can honestly say that I said goodbye to the 2016 with a great relief!!

One of the reasons why I am so eager to come back to Middlesex University is for new exciting events and projects that are coming up in 2017, during which I will get a chance to work as a Course Ambassador. All the events are always fun to work at and give fantastic opportunity to meet new friends.

And don’t worry you will be informed at first hand!

New Year- New Adventures and Experiences!!!! Whoop whoop ;-)

Ewa
    CA for BA Interpreting and Translation

ReputationRep:
    By the way what do you think of the 'Puppy Room' idea??
    Universities all over the world have started bringing in therapy dogs to help their students cope with the intense stresses of college life. Studies have shown that pets can alleviate depression, reduce anxiety, and decrease levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, and provide some real benefits for university students.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I hope that you are all well.

Last week as a part of my module- Legal Interpreting, I had a chance to go for a ‘field trip’ to the Hendon Magistrates Court where I could observe the work of the Interpreters. It was extremely interesting to watch how interpreters dealt with challenges of the court interpreting and how they carried out their consecutive interpreting. I have spent 4 hours observing different court cases and some of them were extremely sensitive. The whole experience helped me to realise how difficult, stressful and challenging is the role of an Public Service Interpreter.

I am extremely grateful to my tutor, who organised the event for this experience and I am sure that my fellow students think the same. I hope that in the future we will have a chance to do it more often, as it is very interesting and allow us (students) to see how what we are learning is applied in the real world.

I wish you a great and productive week!!

P.S, I would like to remind you that if you have any questions about the BA Interpreting and Translation course at Middlesex University you are more than welcome to ask me ;-)

Ewa
    CA for BA Interpreting and Translation

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I hope that you had a great week. For me it was actually pretty amazing. I had two fantastic surprises/news. First one, was an present from my tutor who published his second book in collaboration with the Civil Justice Programme of the European Union. Legal Interpreting is one of my most favourite modules at BA Interpreting and Translation studies and I feel so lucky to be taught by such an amazing and inspiring tutor , it really helps me to stay motivated and focused on my career.

My second surprise was that after completing my internship with the company, I was offered an part time position!!! Finally my hard work, sacrifices that I had to made and determination had been paid off.

I wish you all an fantastic week and I hope that you will also receive some positive news.

All the best,

Ewa, CA for BA Interpreting and Translation

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I hope that everyone had a great week at university and fantastic weekend full of fun and relaxing.

My week at university was all about reading various books, journals and articles to find useful information for my thesis. Also, I had a meeting with my tutor who is my dissertation supervisor and he gave me a lot of feedback about my Pilot Project. I feel relieved knowing that I’m right on track. Still, recently I feel like no matter how much time I spent researching, is not enough and I feel stresses out. My friends said to me that I’ve become a little bit unsocial and it is harder to get in touch with me. I noticed, that my balance between studying and my family/social life is declining. Therefore I have decided to read about this online and see if I can find some helpful information.

I decided to share this with you, as I know many of you can relate to this.

I feel like we spend too much time on worrying how to get good grades and if some people struggle to do so, they start panicking and feel stressed out. If we are only focused on getting great results, we forget our friends and our family; we forget that there is so much to do and to discover. On the other hand, some of us don't care about our grades at university because we think our social lives are more important. If you want to succeed in life, you need to find a balance between your academics and your social life. There are many useful websites available online with various tips on how to do so. Of course, it is up to us how we do it, we just need to stay keen and optimistic.

I wish you all the best and remember, think positive and stay motivated!!

Ewa, BA Interpreting and Translation

ReputationRep:
    Hello my fellow students!

This week I decided to talk to you about the NSS (National Student Survey) which will be running for two weeks around all the UK universities.

What is NSS? Well, is collecting feedback and views from final year students to help provide invaluable information on the quality of their higher education experience. Students responses to the survey are strictly confidential, and anonymised to ensure individuals cannot be identified. You can provide an honest feedback about your course with confidentiality, helping potential students in making their decision on which university they should choose.

I have recently completed my survey and it was pretty straight forward and fast. I hope that by providing my feedback I will help future students in making the most important decision in their lives- education.

If you would like to know the results of the BA Interpreting and Translation course at Middlesex University from the last year, simply follow the link below:

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subje...eturnTo/Search

I wish you all great weekend and GO ON - COMPLE THE SURVEY, IF YOU ARE FINAL YEAR STUDENT!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I hope that you had amazing week.

As you know, for the past two weeks, 3rd year students had a chance to submit their feedback about their overall university experience. As student ambassador I had a chance to work at NSS (national student survey) and encourage students to take part. We had an NSS ‘station’ in the university’s main building- Quad, with IPads and laptops, where students could come in and complete the short questionnaire. After completing it, they could select a lottery ticket with a chance to win prices like: light up pens, mugs and even IPads! Being 3rd year student I completed the form and I was lucky enough to win a mug ;-)

I love working as student ambassador, it allows me to take part in many interesting events organised for students by the university. And believe me there is many of them. This year’s NSS was particularly interesting, we had few free activities, planned especially for this event. The most popular entertainment was the caricature artist station where student could get their ‘funny’ portraits and the digital graffiti wall where everyone had a chance to show off their artistic skills with a free printing of their work. We also had henna tattoo artist and dance performances.

Fun, Fun,Fun!!!

I always encourage students to join student ambassador scheme , not only it is rewarding but also gives you a chance to learn many transferable skills that could be useful in the future. If you wondering how to join the team simply follow the link below:

https://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/your-employ...assador-scheme

Of course if you have any specific questions, remember I am here to help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everynoe!

This week is my second term ‘reading week’ and I am so glad, as I had a lot to catch up. Preparing for the dissertation, doing the research, selecting all the right information for your thesis and of course planning the empirical research is very time consuming. And I must say it is not easy, especially when you have to work in between. I was having a panic attacks recently worrying if I will be able to cope with everything and I decided to have an honest chat with my tutor about it. His academic and moral support made me realise, that I am not alone and I can get help whenever I need it. I will be ever so grateful to him, he is truly my role model. I decided to take two days off my work, so that I can catch up with my university work and I am glad I did it. Having the time off during reading week, allowed me to go through all my collected materials for writing the dissertation (books, articles, different websites etc.) and I finally feel like I am back on track.

I would strongly advise you guys, if you ever feel like struggling for some reason don’t be shy, talk to your friends, tutors or the student support at your university, it really helps! I know from my own experience.

Take care and stay strong. Good Luck to everyone who is writing their thesis this year!!! We can do it!!! And soon it will be over :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!!

How was your study week? I can’t believe it’s’ almost March! The time is just flying by so fast.

I think it’s because we are in the year 3 and continuously occupied, either with current coursework or researching and writing the thesis. I had few health problems recently and an incident when I fainted during the class. A little bit of drama I must admit ;-) I am much better now, thanks to the amazing and immediate help for the university staff right after this happened. I would like to give a big shout out to my tutor for his help, support and the way he managed the whole situation. To put this into perspective for you: imagine one moment you are giving an oral presentation in front of the class ,seconds later , you are lying on the floor outside the classroom with shocked class mate and tutor standing over you! IKNOW!!!

I would like to say that from the moment this happened until now I had the best care. Everyone made sure that I was okay after the incident. I feel very lucky and grateful. THANK YOU!!!

I wish you all a great week, stay strong, motivated and never give up!!

Best, Ewa
    Course Ambassador for BA Interpreting and Translation

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!!

I hope that you are having great week.

Today I would like to share with you my internship/work experience. As I have mentioned before in October I started my internship at fast growing Interpreting and Translation agency based in London. I must say that I was really lucky to come across this company when looking for possible internship offers online. After finishing my 3 months placement I was offered a part time position at the company. Since January I am working as an recruitment coordinator and every day I am learning something new. Recently I have been asked by my boss to work closely with my tutor from Middlesex University in order to develop a workshop for public service interpreters . I am very passionate about interpreting and in the future I want to contribute into making better changes in the public service interpreting sector as well as raise awareness and recognition of the community interpreting profession. Helping with preparing the training programme for interpreters and students is only the beginning.

I do not know what future holds but I am determined to reach my goals and I am hoping that my passion as well as everything what I have learned at university will help me to do so.

I would like to end today’s post with a motivation quote by Ghandi “If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”

Best, Ewa

ReputationRep:
    Today I have realised that I have only 7 weeks of classes left and my three year long journey at university will come to an end. The next few week will be pretty intensive: final submissions deadlines, exams and of course the dissertation. Working part time and studying at the same time doesn’t help and I find it quiet challenging, I honestly can’t wait till Graduation! That’s what keeps me going. Although I will miss all my friends from university and the tutors!

So far my whole experience at Middlesex University was amazing, there was never a dull moment or a problem which I could not resolve. I always had an support from the staff, tutors and even my university friends. That’s what makes it special and I will never forget it. Studying Interpreting and Translation at MDX was best choice ever and I have learned so much!

I hope that all of you will graduate with the feeling of success, fulfilment and joy! I want to wish you all good luck for the upcoming weeks, especially the final year students!

Best, Ewa

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!

What an emotional week for me!

This week, I had an final session with one of my favourite tutors next time that I’ll see him , will be during my exam in two weeks and after, for the last time, during the Graduation Ceremony!!!

This is it, it’s real I am graduating in 4 weeks!!! Still have to wait for the ceremony until July ;-)

Now I will have to stress about my graduation- and only now that I have realised how expensive it’s going to be!!! Pay for my grandmas flight tickets, her hotel, pay for renting the graduation gown, pay for the graduation admission tickets, pay for the graduation photograph, pay pay pay.

But it worth it, it’s a one of a life time event, and I was working hard to get here!!!

Have a good week, and good luck, if you have any exams coming up!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.