The Student Room Group

New GCSE re-sit benchmarks

I've got my first report back from my school,

Predicted 7 in Maths, but predicted 4 in Eng Lang and 3 in Lit.

I know if you don't achieve a certain grade you have to resit while doing A levels.
Who knows the grade you have to achieve so you don't re-sit Eng Lang?
Reply 1
Original post by aaron1050

I know if you don't achieve a certain grade you have to resit while doing A levels.

A good pass should be a Grade 5 if I remember correctly but you can look on Ofqual. @_gcx

If you are taking the exam in 2017, then you will have to retake if you don't get a 4 in either lit or lang (and maths).
If you are sitting the exam in 2018, then you will have to retake if you don't get a 5 in lit or lang (and maths). (I think! This might be for 2019)
This is because in 2017, as the exams are new then teachers will get a much better idea of how the mark scheme works, what the gbs are likely to be etc. after this time, so they will be able to give much better guidance to their students, and they are likely to be able to perform better with this information, hence why it goes up.
But remember, in 10 years time when you are looking for a new job, then employers won't remember that there was a year when 4 was a good pass, so a 5 will be much more useful for your future should anyone look at GCSEs.
The main thing, however is to just try your best, as you can't do any better than that!

A Grade 5 is to be a good pass, if I remember correctly, so it's likely that your aspired sixth form will require a 5. I'm not sure where the information, that a good pass is a 4 for the first year, suggesting the contrary is coming from, to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest