Turn on thread page Beta

Getting a grad job with conviction for Possession with Intent to supply watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Graduated last yr with a 2.1 in engineerig from UCL. Currently on bail for posession with intent to supply Class B (cannabis). may receive a community order or a suspended sentence. Applying for grad schemes atm. wanted to know how big a role my potential conviction will play in securing a grad job ideally in finance banking or consultancy. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Apart from this incident my only othrr involvement with the popo was a £90 cannabis fine
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by GreenOut)
    Hi,

Graduated last yr with a 2.1 in engineerig from UCL. Currently on bail for posession with intent to supply Class B (cannabis). may receive a community order or a suspended sentence. Applying for grad schemes atm. wanted to know how big a role my potential conviction will play in securing a grad job ideally in finance banking or consultancy. thanks
    Depends whether they ask a question that requires you to disclose. Finance roles are much more likely to ask questions that will require disclosure that consulting roles with.

The issue is that 'intent to supply' is usually seen as significantly more serious (ie crosses the line into unacceptable) than possession for personal use, and not disclosing and subsequently being found out, is likely to be grounds for instant dismissal, certainly in Finance, and probably in Consulting as well. So if you are asked to disclose in any way during the application process, you are better off doing so, but ideally you would wish to avoid those roles that will ask.

Alternatively, stick to engineering, which is a) less likely to ask than either Finance or Consulting and b) perhaps slightly more tolerant of issues. You'll be a stronger option for consulting with a few years in industry anyway.

ReputationRep:
    When is it spent mate? Look up spent conviction calculator after 1-2 years you won't have to tell them. I'm not sure if banks would do a DBS check, I think you are likely to get judged and that sort of offence would hinder your chances with a bank as you could use your role to launder drug money etc.

But if you do get a job offer and don't tell them you'll be sacked immediately, so I'd tell them if I was you. With many other jobs I'd lie though you need to find out if they do DBS checks somehow.

I've been done for a fair few things, last conviction is spent now 3 years ago, but with a record 2 pages long I've worked in Social Services lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.